Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 09:48 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,938,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I will repeat--Johnny-come-lately types who haven't been in SW Colorado but a couple of years haven't seen what a real winter can dish out--there just hasn't been a bad winter--not even a normal one. SW Colorado desperately needs a very cold and very wet winter--for water supplies and to kill overwintering spruce and pine beetles. A side benefit would be that it might also shut up the newbie know-it-all types who think that they know what a real Colorado winter is.
Yep, because apparently winter doesn't exist anywhere else & nobody but long time Coloradoans have ever driven in snow or even know how to drive in snow. Unbelievable.

How in the world do the rest of us even tie our shoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Hey Joe....what some of these "Oracles of SW Colorado", the all-knowing, all-seeing wizards have never experienced, is driving on the snow laced, winding, hilly, icy backwoods roads in the heavily forested country of southwestern PA, so naturally, they are prone to think that the road conditions that are so severe to them, will appear that way to everyone. They conveniently forget about the relativity factor.
Tell me about it CW. Been driving in snow & ice since I first got my license at the age of 16, 44 years ago. My father & I both used to teach driving as we owned a state licensed driving school back between 1975-1980. We even used to teach people to drive in the snow & ice. Students who had received their licenses in the summer would call us to have us take them out in the winter weather. I guess I didn't realize at the time that only old Coloradans knew how to drive in winter weather. Who knew?

Old 11-15-2014, 01:25 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
jazzlover wrote: I will repeat--Johnny-come-lately types who haven't been in SW Colorado but a couple of years haven't seen what a real winter can dish out--there just hasn't been a bad winter--not even a normal one. SW Colorado desperately needs a very cold and very wet winter--for water supplies and to kill overwintering spruce and pine beetles. A side benefit would be that it might also shut up the newbie know-it-all types who think that they know what a real Colorado winter is.

NOBODY in this thread is saying that a Colorado winter can't dish it out, or that they know what a real Colorado winter is. What some of us who have experienced severe winter weather elsewhere are saying, is that Colorado is not the only place that can dish out severe winter weather. Severe winter weather ocurrs in many other places ( you know that! ). Even an experienced Colorado winter driver such as yourself may have some issues driving on of those eastern, rural backwoods roads in the winter. Colorado highways have no monopoly on severe winter driving conditions, nor are old time Colorado drivers the only drivers who can handle those conditions.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:28 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard;37280747NOBODY in this thread is saying that a Colorado winter can't dish it out, or that they know what a [I
real Colorado winter[/i] is. What some of us who have experienced severe winter weather elsewhere are saying, is that Colorado is not the only place that can dish out severe winter weather. Severe winter weather ocurrs in many other places ( you know that! ). Even an experienced Colorado winter driver such as yourself may have some issues driving on of those eastern, rural backwoods roads in the winter. Colorado highways have no monopoly on severe winter driving conditions, nor are old time Colorado drivers the only drivers who can handle those conditions.
I NEVER said that other places don't have severe winter weather--some places even worse than Colorado. What I DID say, though, is lot of newbies base their opinions about what winter weather (and driving is like) based on living in Colorado in the last of couple of really benign weather years.

As an example of how weather over a couple of years can fool some people (not me): when I moved Wyoming some years back, the first winter that I was there was a piece of cake--I used my snowblower once. Now, some newbies would conclude (wrongly) that "Wyoming winters aren't that bad," and would tell the old-line natives how easy Wyoming winters were. Well, the next couple of winters proved the Pollyannas wrong--my snowblower and I got a workout that winter. I had numerous storms where I had 3'-4' drifts all along my lengthy (1/4 mile) driveway. Twice I had to plow out 9' drifts. Bad winters? No, just about normal.

Now, Durango gets an average of 65" of snow in winter, right in town. But, as I've noted numerous times, SW Colorado weather is highly variable. Some years, like the last few, a place like Durango might only get half or less than normal snowfall, but then in a bad winter it can get double. Same with winter temperatures. The last couple of winters have been relatively warm, but that may change, too. Old line Durango natives--and I know a number of them--can tell about how rough winter can be there. Unfortunately, guys like Durango Joe won't listen to them--they will have to learn it the hard way.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:09 PM

Jazz.....I've never seen Joe write anything saying that Durango winters CAN'T be rough. He seems like a pretty smart guy to me, and certainly he must know that Durango winters CAN be tough. What I get from reading his posts is that his experience thus far differs from what some other posters are saying. That according to his very recent experience, some of the commute times are exaggerated hyperbole. I don't think he ever said that those long commute times couldn't happen. I have no reason to doubt Joe, nor do I have any reason to doubt the other times posted. Everyone can be right. Even with a slight variation in conditions, times can vary. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:14 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
^If Durango Joe's commute times were measured in the last few weeks, that happens to be about the lowest traffic period in Durango, save maybe "mud season" in early spring after the ski area has closed and before the summer tourists show up. Now, if he had been measuring in high tourist season, the traffic on US 160 can be AWFUL between Bayfield and Durango, and within Durango itself. I've been driving through that area, in all seasons, for four decades, but what the hell do I know?

Old 11-15-2014, 10:38 PM

jazzlover wrote: but what the hell do I know?

Food for thought. Zig Ziglar or one of the other big name sales gurus says something like this:

People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care

Old 11-17-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
^If Durango Joe's commute times were measured in the last few weeks, that happens to be about the lowest traffic period in Durango, save maybe "mud season" in early spring after the ski area has closed and before the summer tourists show up. Now, if he had been measuring in high tourist season, the traffic on US 160 can be AWFUL between Bayfield and Durango, and within Durango itself. I've been driving through that area, in all seasons, for four decades, but what the hell do I know?
Having lived here through ALL of the tourist seasons, I think I have a pretty good idea of the traffic around LaPlata County. I drive it quite often. No doubt higher traffic peaks occur throughout the seasons, but I will say that on a whole, even heavy traffic around Durango is some of the easiest I've ever seen. The worst problem around here is the way so many of the tourists drive.

The hyperbole around this issue just gets silly sometimes. Sure, you may occasionally experience a 30-45 minute commute, but that's the exception rather than the rule around here. I proved that with the GPS pics I took last wednesday. The overall point, is that the Bayfield-Durango commute is not a hardship & shouldn't be for anyone who moved here.

If you don't want a commute, then go live in town Durango.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 5,336 times
Thank you all for your feedback. At this time the move doesn't sound like it's feasible to. Have a happy Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado