Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 08:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You'd better read some history, Mike. The truth about the westward migration is that far more of those pioneers failed than succeeded. After the first "boomlet" of the 1859 gold rush to Denver, then in Kansas Territory, the saying was, "In God we trusted, in Kansas we busted." History repeated in 1893 in the Colorado mountains when the repeal of the artificial stimulant of the Sherman Silver Purchase Act sent the Colorado mountain economy into a near five-decade depression. That was followed by the 1930's Dust Bowl on the Great Plains, with eastern Colorado as one of the epicenters. A lot of that region never really did fully recover from that. The last half century has been unbelievably kind to the Colorado economy and even that has been no bed of roses for many. That relatively prosperous era in Colorado is going to come to an end--the symptoms are already showing and have been for several years. Yes, Colorado is one of those places for "rugged individualism"--and it takes a pretty damned rugged individual to survive it. Maybe the OP has got what it takes, but his description of his life so far doesn't indicate that to me.

And, as I've said repeatedly, it's always easy for some comfortable retiree from someplace else with a fat pension to opine about how "easy" Colorado living is. Take that away from them and they must just see things a lot differently.
And the sky is always falling!

Hardly any place has done well the past several years with the recession, if you hadn't noticed. For the most part, Colorado's unemployment has been below the national levels all through this phase. But that's going to end soon, right? How long have you been saying that now?

How can you sum up the OP's life from the short paragraph he wrote. You owe him an apology.

OP, most of us recommend a job or serious savings before embarking on such a move.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-09-2014 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 09:14 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
jazzlover wrote: And, as I've said repeatedly, it's always easy for some comfortable retiree from someplace else with a fat pension to opine about how "easy" Colorado living is. Take that away from them and they must just see things a lot differently.

Why would you take that away from them? It's theirs. It IS part of who they are in this society. What makes the perspective of someone without a big fat pension more valid than a person with a big fat pension? What makes seeing Colorado as a difficult place to live any more valuable than seeing it as an easy place to live? Personally, I'd LOVE to have a big fat pension and.....I bet you would too. Naturally, having a big chunk of change in the bank is going to color a persons perspective.....no matter WHERE they live.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:35 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
^The problem I have is when people who, by virtue of their being independent of the Colorado economy--and I'm not trying to take that accomplishment away from them, give relocation advice from their perspective to people that don't have and may never have that advantage. It's sort of like the millionaire advising a street person that he should go eat in the best 5-star restaurant in town. The millionaire says, "Hey, the food's great and the service is terrific." All true, but meaningless advice to the street person with $5 in his pocket.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:39 AM

^Good analogy!

Old 11-09-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
On my first drive from PA to Colorado on I-80 in December '71, I got caught in an ice storm in the hilly terrain around Cozad Nebraska. To this day, that was one of the scariest highway experiences of my life. Never so glad to see an exit than I was on that particular day. Hotel 6 never looked so good.
Cozad, Nebraksa always makes me smile. When we moved out here in 1980, DH ran out of gas in the U-haul near Cozad! I had to pick him up (was driving an old Ford Fiesta) and take him into Cozad where we bought a gas can and some gas to put in the truck to get it to a gas station. Cozad is at the 100th degree west meridian, the dividing line (supposedly) between the humid east and the arid western US.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:54 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erok82 View Post
Hi everyone....I basically always wanted to live in CO. For ever and I need the change badly. I'm basically going to drive there with my car in February once my lease is up here in Ct. And hope for the best.I am currently looking at roommate websites which seem promising and also looking at jobs.I don't have a degree in anything but I've always done what I had to and ended up with great jobs.If anyone can lead me to great advice or any info please respond back thanks soooo much
Congratulations on your decision! A couple of quick questions to get things going-

How much savings do you have to cover costs before you find a job that covers all of your living expenses?

What type and age of car do you drive?

What type of jobs have you had in the past?

Are you looking to live in the mountains, or would the flatlands meet your dream of being in Colorado?

Any other requirements you have to make your move possible or worth-while?

Looking forward to your response!

One final question - are you looking for a "420 friendly" area? Not all of Colorado is at this time.

Last edited by rugrats2001; 11-09-2014 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 11-09-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
^The problem I have is when people who, by virtue of their being independent of the Colorado economy--and I'm not trying to take that accomplishment away from them, give relocation advice from their perspective to people that don't have and may never have that advantage. It's sort of like the millionaire advising a street person that he should go eat in the best 5-star restaurant in town. The millionaire says, "Hey, the food's great and the service is terrific." All true, but meaningless advice to the street person with $5 in his pocket.
That was not the perspective MFBE was giving the advice from. He said "He's young; he'll do fine or he'll move on to somewhere else, like footloose, restless types have done for hundreds of years."

For all you know, he did something similar when he was young.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:54 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
I wouldn't get too bothered with replying to this thread. The OP hasn't responded yet and posted the frequent vague pointless threads we get every so often with absolutely no info to guide them on.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:03 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
^^^
True dat.

Half these "Should I move to Colorado" threads end up with the OP vanishing after their first post and the regulars on the forum getting into the same old squabbles with each other. I often don't even bother to read many of them.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:11 AM

Colorado Rambler wrote: and the regulars on the forum getting into the same old squabbles with each other

But that's what makes it so much fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: