Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 08:03 PM

18,671 posts, read 33,286,569 times

Advertisements

Best wishes to all for the New Year. I will be visiting Ridgway/Ouray at the end of August and now I can almost say "This year!" and then on to Buena Vista for a week of horseback riding. I will post again as the time comes sooner, but as always, would enjoy meeting up with forum posters if possible. I'll fly into Denver, drive across to Ridgway (to visit an elderly friend in Montrose and to acclimatize- the ranch in BV is almost 10k feet up!).

I went to Montana this past spring for a horsemanship clinic and it was way over my head, although a great place. But Montana looked… a whole lot like Maine! I missed my Colorado geology and cannot let go of the beautiful state, so back I'll be *this year* in August. Best wishes to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 10:52 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,913,805 times
Well, happy New Year's right back at you! I'm counting the days until I can once again go camping in the back country myself.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:10 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,822,510 times
Have fun in the "new" Ridgway. At least Panny's is still there and hasn't changed.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:25 AM

Do you want to say what "new Ridgway" means to you? I have a feeling that you don't like it and I might not, either...

Old 01-01-2015, 11:29 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Do you want to say what "new Ridgway" means to you? I have a feeling that you don't like it and I might not, either...
I think that Jim means "wrecked by the 'Beautiful People.'"

Old 01-01-2015, 12:01 PM

74 posts, read 112,630 times
Our best from the Heart of the Rockies to everyone for a Happy and Prosperous 2015!

As January 20th (2015) approaches, we will have lived in our new home, "part time", for exactly one year outside the Salida (CO) area. I mentioned "part time", since we still have personal family business in AZ that needs our attention. So, it's couple weeks here and a couple of weeks there, with the complete memorization of curves and speed limits along 160 and how bitterly cold the "Frozen Triangle" can be, in the San Luis Valley, during winter. I absolutely love Colorado and miss it every time we deal with "existing" in AZ...Even for a few weeks! "Life" in the Colorado Rockies, away from the fears of the big city and future problems, was a step in the right direction for us.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:32 PM

Have more "beautiful people" moved in since Jim started out in Ridgway? According to Jazz, it was already wrecked when Jim got there. I thought maybe he referred to the pot businesses, etc. I haven't been there in a couple of years so the pot businesses will be new to me (and not of interest).

I get the local newspaper from Ridgway/Ouray and there has been an ad in for a "spa" in Ouray called "Envy," with a high-fashion-like picture of a woman and swirling font. It would fit right into the Sunday Times magazine or something. I cannot picture that working in Ouray and rather hope it doesn't. I mean, aren't there enough nail salons in the world with snotty names?

I still love the weather and views of Ridgway, and no one can take them away. Two properties I have always eyed are on the market and I track them like a stalker. But I am not moving there while still working, even though there's a job in Montrose that might as well have my name in the job description. I keep remembering, the day is made up of what you do and who you see, even if the weather and views are magnificent. That's the stuff of vacations still for me.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:17 PM

242 posts, read 411,494 times
I don't begrudge/criticize anyone for moving to Colorado as long as they treat the land/people around them with respect when they arrive.

FYI We just cruised through Ridgway a week ago and noticed that, yes, there are a couple of pot shops there now...right at the Highway intersection/stoplight. Whether folks like 'em or not, they are a business that pays (lots of) taxes and if I remember the last time we went through there at least one of those buildings was sitting vacant. The funny thing is that if it was a new package likker store it wouldn't even register to most folks. Glad to see it won't bother you one way or distract from what you love about the area, brightdoglover. I love the Sheephorns. They were caked white last week after a front blasted through. The cut through across Owl Creek Pass to 50 is an incredibly pretty drive. Just a beautiful area all around.

We are soon (this Summer) to make a lifestyle change near Salida as well, RockyMtnExpress. More towards Cotopaxi...but in that general area just the same with Salida as "the nearest metropolis". LOL. Should be an interesting change on many fronts after nearly 30 years on the I-70 corridor in SkiTown/Resortworld/etc. Can't wait for the slightly warmer climate and less snow in Winter while still hanging onto all that is Colorado. Got a creek and a small chunk of land and the desire to garden and simply kick back and take it all in. After all, we are only here once and heehee, we are finally gonna take our turn at doing what we want to do for a change.

Gonna be a very interesting year. Much luck to all in the upcoming months!

Happy New Year.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:49 PM

^^
Sounds just wonderful, RD! Happy New Year indeed.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:34 PM

670 posts, read 1,048,664 times
Although I consider myself to be a live and let live person, and am still fairly young (early 40's) I am not a big fan of the recreational pot shops in Ridgway. This might not be what Jim means by the "new Ridgway" but it's the first thing that comes to my mind. As someone who spends a lot of time in the area I can attest that there is a definite change to the vibe in town. Taxes and jobs are good but it would be better if recreational MJ were legal across the country instead of just a couple of states. I think in the end things will eventually balance themselves out, but Ridgway has been annoying the hell out of me lately

Last edited by StarrySkiesAbove; 01-02-2015 at 10:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado