Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 06:34 AM

3 posts, read 3,801 times

Advertisements

Hello! I wanted to do some research on which towns I should visit in Colorado, before I make a decision to relocate from Michigan. I am in my younger 20's, going on my Second Year as a Stylist. I am a graduate from Douglas J Aveda Institute, who will be looking for a career in a salon. I thought I would describe a few things I look for in a lifestyle, and hopefully someone on here has some insight on which place best fits. I try to live a 100% Organic Lifestyle, however I am not overly picky about it. I am a big supporter of Local Businesses, so a town like setting would be ideal. I would like to have access to some type of city life, Public Transit would be my main means of transportation. I have over 7 years experience in the restaurant industry, and am currently working 2 jobs, so I would most likely be looking for work in some type of "Mom & Pop" type of place, but I will work with pretty much anything. I will be moving with my significant other, so any type of town that seems reasonable with apartment rates. We can usually afford up to $650, looking for studio apartments, or something of the sort. We are just looking to leave Grand Rapids, and Grand Haven Michigan, and start our life together somewhere in Colorado. Winter Sports are not a main interest for us, so we can do without being by any resorts. I prefer to be in a "Music" Town, or anything with the Arts. What do you all think? Any towns or cities strike your mind? Any insight at all would help, I would like to get a clearer idea of where to narrow my search before I book a trip to settle everything with jobs & Housing. One thing that is a must is, I would need to be somewhat near or able to take the bus to a Cosmetology school, I would need 300 more hours to qualify for my license for this state. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 06:45 AM

17,725 posts, read 29,941,194 times
Does not exist in Colorado.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:48 AM

Colorado doesn't have any salons, restaurants, cos schools, apartments, towns, or a bus?

Old 01-27-2015, 07:12 AM

Default Stylist & Young Couple, re locating to Colorado. Which town or city?

Hello, this is my first time moving out of state (From Michigan) and I have been seriously looking into Colorado. I thought I would describe a few things about my lifestyle & hopefully I could get some informational insight on which location I should consider to visit before making a decision & getting the move going!
I would be moving from Grand Haven, formally living in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
I am in my 20's, will be moving with my Significant other of 4 years.
I am on my second year of being a stylist, so I would need to be near a Cosmetology School to log in my extra 300 hours to qualify for my license for Colorado.
I will be looking for a salon to start my career in.
I have an extensive restaurant resume, with over 8 years experience.
I will most likely be looking for a second job.
I will be using public transit, so bike lanes & a bus system is much needed.
I would prefer to be in a town like setting, with a sense of community.
Being able to travel to some city life, or city "like" place for shopping, dining etc, would be ideal.
We can generally afford up to $650 in rent, but of course these things can be worked out if the rates are more expensive.
We try to live a mostly organic lifestyle, so really just around a town who has a farmers market or something.
I have had several friends recommend Fort Collins, but I have yet to visit anywhere in Colorado, so I am open for suggestions.
Any information is appreciated, we are looking to re locate by end of 2015, early 2016.
Thank you!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:56 AM

481 posts, read 1,304,672 times
Colorado Springs fits a lot of your criteria. With your rental budget of $650 a month you can find a place to live. I've seen many studios for less than that, many one-bedroom apartments for up to that.

Bus line to a cosmetology school? Sure, there's that in Colorado Springs as well, you just have to be careful where you choose to live. The bus system here continues to expand but there are several areas of town that aren't covered. I use the bus system here and it does a decent job. Just make sure to live near a bus stop. There is a Paul Mitchell school on Colorado Ave. between Sierra Madre and Sahwatch. The #3 bus stops right at it.

There are plenty of restaurants to work in in Colorado Springs. I've done it for years and many of my co-workers have worked in restaurants while going to cosmetology school. Bear in mind though, many people are moving to Colorado Springs making the jobs in restaurants pretty competitive. It can take a couple of months to find a job so be prepared.

Colorado Springs in not a "music" town, have a whole lot in the way of culture and has a reputation of being very conservative. But Denver is only an hour north and is a great place to escape to for music, arts and the likes.

It's not a small town, the Colorado Springs metro has ~650,000 people but there are pockets that feel "away" from the city more than others, with many local businesses. The west side/Old Colorado City is a perfect example with many independent restaurants that are frequently hiring and that same #3 bus I mentioned earlier runs right through it to downtown where you can connect with other buses to get around the city. www.mmtransit.com is the website for our local bus system that has maps and times for buses listed.

Craigslist can be a good resource for job-hunting in the restaurant field but areas like Old Colorado City don't tend to advertise a lot of their jobs. It's a close-knit community here with the independent restaurant scene and most jobs in that line are word-of-mouth or going into the restaurant and applying in person. Same with Manitou Springs, also on the same bus line.

Good luck in your decision!

Last edited by Littlekw; 01-27-2015 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-27-2015, 09:20 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,609,206 times
You want Boulder but your budget is not workable.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:30 AM

Default Pedantic, why yes, I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Boulder is a CITY and not a TOWN.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:40 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,609,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Boulder is a CITY and not a TOWN.
Nomenclature aside, it's what she is describing. But good luck with $650 in Boulder. It might rent a shed in rich hippy's back yard.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:49 AM

670 posts, read 1,176,025 times
Quote:
Boulder doesn't meet any of her requirements
There is no cosmetology school in Boulder. The city is over-saturated with hair stylists. There's not much of a music scene there any more. And obviously Boulder rent is way too high.

Stormie, just curious - why Colorado?
You might take a look at Longmont. It's a nice place to live. There is a cosmetology school there. It's a city with a population of ~90,000, not exactly a small "town".
Check padmapper.com for rentals.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Nomenclature aside, it's what she is describing. But good luck with $650 in Boulder. It might rent a shed in rich hippy's back yard.
Sorry.
Deep inside her post she did write: cities or towns.
$650 in Boulder gets you a room. Room in house for sublease! Feb move in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado