Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 01:52 PM

5 posts, read 4,337 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

My husband and I will be visiting in the fall and moving to Colorado hopefully this time next year! We will have $15k minimum to bring as well as "backup" money just in case. My husband works for Honda as a car salesman and I stay home to raise our sweet daughters. We have been connected with an owner of one dealership who mentioned they would love to have him on when the time comes so we have an option, if we have no luck elsewhere. (I am only posting that information because although this is my first post I have been hanging around reading city-data threads for years and know it will be asked about! ) This is in Fort Collins which isn't exactly the place we would pick to live as our first choice, but we wouldn't mind living there to start.

I have been to Colorado several times, but not yet as a Mom or a wife for that matter and this is where I need advice! Of our top choices (Broomfield, Loveland, Longmont and Fort Collins - also open to suggestions) which is the best for a family who's lifestyle is active, outdoorsy, organic.. Most importantly we want car dealerships (within 25-30 min drive), safety, quality pediatric care, somewhere with close commute to things to do with our kids indoors and out. We don't need to be near big box stores as we very seldom go into them. We do eventually want good schools for the girls (that's a few years down the road.) Rent about 1200 a mth is probably our max. Since we will be renting for the first 6months-year until we really get to explore and settle in, I guess I am looking for where everyone would suggest we try (complexes? streets? what makes a "bad" part of suggested area "bad" etc..) or at least look at when we finally go to CO together in September. We just want a nice, aesthetically pleasing, friendly family town!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 02:19 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Fort Collins is it, but your budget might make things difficult.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:52 PM

5 posts, read 4,337 times
Thanks, Dave! That's kind of the idea I was getting, but I have found several rentals in the other areas for equal to/less than the price I would pay in Fort Collins. I guess that's where I am struggling because I can't figure out why they are the same price (ie: if something is less than desirable about the properties I am looking at). I have had padmapper, craigslist, trulia and apartment finder pulled up as I have been comparing and calling different complexes to verify and they run about the same - other times less even. Thanks, again!

Old 02-24-2015, 03:17 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomDadplusThree View Post
Thanks, Dave! That's kind of the idea I was getting, but I have found several rentals in the other areas for equal to/less than the price I would pay in Fort Collins. I guess that's where I am struggling because I can't figure out why they are the same price (ie: if something is less than desirable about the properties I am looking at). I have had padmapper, craigslist, trulia and apartment finder pulled up as I have been comparing and calling different complexes to verify and they run about the same - other times less even. Thanks, again!
Fort Collins has become extremely desirable over the past few years, so prices there might be inflated. Even its close neighbor Loveland may save you a little on rent.

Longmont isn't quite as desirable as either of those, so you may find Longmont to be cheaper (but too far from Fort Collins to make a commute). Broomfield is about as middle middle class as you can find, but it shouldn't be affordable at all due to its proximity to jobs (both nearby, and in Denver and Boulder).

Old 02-26-2015, 08:55 PM

98 posts, read 237,839 times
Fort Collins, hands down. This is a fantastic place to raise kids. As an aside, my husband sold cars here for 2 years, so we know most the dealerships. I'm guessing Markley is the dealership you are referring to. Great place to work. But it can get tight making a living in car sales with the costs of Fort Collins. I just re-read your lists of wants/needs...seriously, Fort Collins fits every single one of them. You will love it here with kids (just be prepared for the higher rent/living expenses).

Old 02-27-2015, 09:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Berthoud, Garden Spot of ColoradoGreat community and schools.

Can work in FtC, Longmont, Loveland, Greeley, Boulder, or north Denver. (just in case you need options)

I wouldn't live in Ft Collins, tho I grew up in Masonville (10 miles away) (I don't do stoplights and aggressive SUVs). I would NOT want to sell cars to Ft Collins people. (They have an 'attitude').

Best thing about Ft Collins, is that it is close to WY!

Colorado Springs would be a serious choice if you want a good clientele to sell cars / establish family relationships for your kids.! (Longmont, Loveland, (Berthoud) and Greeley will be good clientele for establishing referrals and good solid lasting business relationships)

YMMV

Old 03-02-2015, 10:54 AM

6 posts, read 5,592 times
Thanks so much Ultraz and StealthRabbit. You have all been very helpful! I appreciate it.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:30 PM

694 posts, read 1,039,707 times
Make sure your husband has a firm job offer with a dealership before re-locating here. It was posted on here several months ago that someone knew hiring manager at a local car dealership in Denver and when they posted a salesman ad, they received several hundred responses from people who moved here without jobs. Years ago, they would have been lucky to receive a handful of resumes. People who have moved here without jobs are applying at anything to make bank to as they all say to "enjoy what Colorado has to offer" (traffic congestion, high cost of living, et al).

Old 03-05-2015, 01:41 PM

6 posts, read 5,592 times
Thanks a lot, Johnny. I appreciate the insight specifically for his line of work. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2015, 02:58 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
I grew up around car dealerships, and still know plenty of people selling cars, especially in northern Colorado. If your husband wants to sale cars and is good enough at it to support your family than he should have no trouble getting a job selling cars. I have not sold cars is close to 20 years, but could be working on a car lot tomorrow selling cars if I decided too.

The issue to me is the budget, having grown up in sales we both know 1st hand that budgeting properly is the only way to make it through the bad months that happen to every sales person, and so you may want to spend more time looking into the costs, not only of rentals which is outrageous to me, having 3 kids means you are probably looking for at least a 3 bedroom and $1200 (the average cost of a rental in Fort Collins is over $1250 right now which includes all the 1 and 2 bedroom apartments around town) is not going to get you much for that price range in Fort Collins, Loveland, or Greeley. Add to that the higher costs that we pay such as for groceries, car registration, insurance, and the like and it can become difficult to run on a decent budget.

that being said I know several people who support families through selling cars, it is not impossible especially with the exploding population, but you should go into it with your eyes wide open and know what you are getting into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado