Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 05:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
The jury is no longer out for me several weeks after writing the OP. I don't like it here. You can't even buy a house here without offering $25k over the asking price, and even then, you have to have the most amount of cash to outbid the 10 other offers by putting the most amount of money down. The seller was willing to take our offer if we paid them in cash the difference in cash if the house didn't appraise. This is for one of these rather boring Colorado style houses with no crown molding or other nice touches like the houses back east often have. My husband and I went to Boulder one night for dinner. We couldn't find parking for 45 minutes, and then the wait was one hour, and the tab for glorified Mexican food was $90. Colorado, I'm over you. I'll come back and visit you every now and then to ski, but living on your flat, treeless Front Range crammed in with millions of others you can't sustain really sucks.
That does sound bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 06:02 AM

937 posts, read 743,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
That's another factor similar to me/us. No family nearby (they're over 1000 miles away). I didn't realize how strongly I'd miss them. It wasn't too hard being away from the them, even after 2 years, but now after 2 1/2 years, it's really kicked in. I'm not sure why the timing has worked that way, but it has. Sometimes I don't feel like I can fully connect with people around here. There's a subtle mystery and vague disconnection that's hard to pin down. But when visiting my family last month, it was like....wow, so natural, so comfortable, so familiar. We know each other so well. There's no mystery or anything with them; we understand each other perfectly, and that's really nice.

Yes I know what you mean. I do feel uncomfortable leaving my mom and dad for the long term back east. I think I need to be there for them at some point as they get older or they should move here to be near me. Yet the rest of the family are all on the move and in transition too so there's no where to really go back to where everyone is centrally located.

As far as connecting with people, I've found that it's not that easy to form close friendships the older one gets. People are usually so busy or tired with jobs, families, responsibility etc. It can be done, but it takes extra effort in joining groups, churches, activities, etc that regularly get together. Up until now, I haven't had the energy this year to join any groups to try and make friends with people. Some studies cit that the average adult has just 2 friends.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:27 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Yes I know what you mean. I do feel uncomfortable leaving my mom and dad for the long term back east. I think I need to be there for them at some point as they get older or they should move here to be near me.

As far as connecting with people, I've found that it's not that easy to form close friendships the older one gets.
I can relate to those points as well. My parents are now in the mid 80s, and although there are lots of family nearby, I feel that I ought to be around to help them and spend time with them in the later years. I had a hope that some of the family might consider moving to CO, but that no longer seems likely to happen. People are moving around a bit, but still staying in the same state.

It's sad not having those friends around from the "early days" who did special things together in the formulative years. I agree with you that it is harder to make and build new friendships - especially deep friends - at an older age, as well as a new location. Like you mention, folks are so busy these days. Unless you have tons of money and can goof off with lots of leisure time, it's hard to sustain a significant block of time to hang out together and enjoy quality time without all the responsibilites and distractions that buzz about our heads. The period that people might be going through currently might also be blander and less interesting compared to the younger days with varying activities and experiences that can make life more interesting and memorable. I could get very philosophical now if I had more time to post thoughts

I'm thankful for this forum. It's nice to be able to share thoughts, and maybe pass on some wisdom that can't be found elsewhere.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 05-04-2015 at 08:54 AM..

Old 05-04-2015, 08:56 AM

304 posts, read 344,081 times
True, as we get older, and spend more time with our families, it's difficult to have time for friends. Time is consumed by children and family obligations. I've found on the rare occasions I've met up with some friends from the past, that we've all changed and moved on with life, and it's not quite the same. Chloe333, you're right, about 2 good friends is about what we have throughout life. It may be someone from work, or a childhood friend. It may be your spouse/ S.O. I've moved closer to family, I get along with some, and not so well with others. I don't live in the same area I grew up, and was away long enough that my friends have moved on, so I make do with the couple that I've made in the meantime.

Sunderpig2, I agree, this forum is a nice reprieve, being able to share some anecdotes, memories, etc. Even being able to bond with one or two from here. Sometimes, social media is a blessing.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:00 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
Thanks for your message mbalmedpoet. I know what you mean about friends changing. At my last high school reunion, nearly everyone seemed quite different from their early days. The several that hadn't changed (hadn't given up their roots and values and priorities) were a delight to be around. They were doing well and were successful, but they were also still fun and balanced. They were the same people, just older.

As time goes on, and people, cities, neighborhoods, states, countries, and the world change, those close people in life (family and friends) seem to take on ever-increasing importance.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:16 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Wanted to bump this to the top as I'm thinking of moving to Colorado with my gf, whose name happens to be Chloe and we've been seeing the #3 all over the place (lotto ticket, mail, etc). She is also opposed to Denver, but I am closing in on an offer here. How funny.

Anyways, no place is a utopia, I live in DC and I like it, but people here seem unhappy too. It's supercrowded and if you think the Mexican food and housing is expensive in Denver, you'll hate DC.

I think we need to figure out that 90.00 Mexican restaurant tab. What did you order?

Old 06-22-2017, 10:37 AM

937 posts, read 743,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Wanted to bump this to the top as I'm thinking of moving to Colorado with my gf, whose name happens to be Chloe and we've been seeing the #3 all over the place (lotto ticket, mail, etc). She is also opposed to Denver, but I am closing in on an offer here. How funny.

Anyways, no place is a utopia, I live in DC and I like it, but people here seem unhappy too. It's supercrowded and if you think the Mexican food and housing is expensive in Denver, you'll hate DC.

I think we need to figure out that 90.00 Mexican restaurant tab. What did you order?
We ordered some fancy margaritas if I recall. Pricey ones!

Well it's grown on me and I like it here now. Much of my angst was from feeling somewhat homesick being so far from family, and also getting used to the different terrain out here. It just took some time to acclimate. The weather is amazing with the lower humidity, all of the sunny days are uplifting, beautiful Colorado evening skies, cool evenings, and a nice laid back vibe with a lot of friendly people. I'm not a big bug fan so it's nice to have less of them around. It also seems less crime ridden and safer at least where I live. We had ski passes this past winter and that was a lot of fun with our kids. Denver has plenty to do with great restaurants, music, venues etc, and it's got an unusual laid back vibe for a city. I think it would definitely be an improvement to D.C. as far as quality of life and overall better vibes. Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-22-2017, 10:52 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Yes, Colorado's landscape can definitely be a big departure from east coast where people are used to lush greenery.

But beyond that I love it here for most of the reasons you pointed out: lots of sun, cool evenings, beautiful sunsets, no bugs, low humidity, beautiful mountains in backdrop

Old 06-22-2017, 12:32 PM

579 posts, read 368,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

Old 06-22-2017, 06:07 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Seeing #3 means you must move to Colorado (number magic according to Madam Inga). Don't ask what #5 means
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado