Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:50 PM

42 posts, read 178,239 times

Advertisements

The cans last about 2-3 hours. My unit uses two cans, so costs about $3 an hour to operate, no installation costs. I store the cans in a decorative box next to my "fireplace." They sell little jars of scents that smell like fire, too, but I've found that they don't work very well, probably because the ceramic logs don't get very hot. I might try heating the oils in a different way, like a pourpouri pot.

The other advantage of a gel unit is that it's portable! Perfect for a bedroom, although I use mine in the living room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 PM

32 posts, read 154,106 times
The Denver metro area is considered by EPA a "non attainment area" for ozone, and has been non-attainment for other pollutants in the past. This means it doesn't meet Federal air quality standards, and must have a plan for pollution mitigation. Red/blue days are a part of that. Also, wood-burning fireplaces are often prohibited in new construction (though permitted if "grandfathered").

If you have a grandfathered fireplace you can still use it on blue days. Red days are when there is a temperature inversion or still air that traps pollutants. You can't use most fireplaces on those days.

The "Denver metro area" includes Douglas County but not El Paso County, which is why Charles hasn't seen it.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:23 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,287,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
In place of a gas fireplace, you might as well have a picture of a flame, an orange light bulb with some moving aluminum foil behind it, and an electric heater.
Or a 50" plasma TV and a fireplace video...

Bob

Old 01-19-2008, 06:17 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Or a 50" plasma TV and a fireplace video...

Bob
Or sit thisclose to a Sterno can.

http://www.copeusa.org/store_files/ecofuelcans.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-19-2008, 09:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Very funny, Charles!

Quote:
If you have a grandfathered fireplace you can still use it on blue days. Red days are when there is a temperature inversion or still air that traps pollutants. You can't use most fireplaces on those days.
What is a "grandfathered fireplace"? I didn't know they were illegal any more; I thought builders just didn't use them b/c of the air pollution laws. We have one, and can only use it about 50% of the days in winter (blue days).

Old 01-19-2008, 03:05 PM

32 posts, read 154,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
What is a "grandfathered fireplace"? I didn't know they were illegal any more; I thought builders just didn't use them b/c of the air pollution laws. We have one, and can only use it about 50% of the days in winter (blue days).
That's right, builders aren't allowed to use wood-burning fireplaces, at least that's what our builder told us.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Interesting. We have one; are hoping to use it tonight.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 13,198 times
I was speaking to a builder the other day about the code requirements on gas-burning v. wood-burning fireplaces. He said that he's done new construction for folks who wanted a wood burning fireplace by basically building a wood-burning fireplace (i.e. with a regular flue, etc.) and installing gas logs. After the house passed inspection, the gas-logs are removed and the gas line capped (or converted to a gas-starting system) and voila, WBFP. Says it works well. I pass no judgment on the morality of this.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:28 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
In Pueblo there are no restrictions to wood burning fire places and there are no days you cant use it as our air is always clean!

Old 01-19-2009, 04:51 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
Haven't heard of red days in CoS in 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado