U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:11 AM

14 posts, read 48,571 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone has info with regards to Portland, Me. vs Boulder, Co.
We are thinking of moving back to the West coast. We have a 3 yr old and my husband is in IT. From all of the postings I have read Boulder seems like a very nice place. We are originally from San Francisco and moved to be a little more small town and have a better quality of life, but I don't think we are finding the right balance here in Maine-No offense!

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 10:25 AM

29 posts, read 154,915 times
michloryn,
Hello... first i just want to say that i do not live in Colorado but plan too within the next year...I too am in I.T and thats what caught my eye on your post... I have never been to Maine and cannot say that i do not like it but i have been to Colorado a few times and love it there.... Maine and Colorado are two different worlds - you're on the East coast and they are on the West.. mindset is different. I am not sure if there are many I.T jobs out in Maine but Colorado has tons (depends on what field in I.T your husband is in) but for the most part its easy to find work. What i recomend is reading Mike from back east's Post on Colorado Springs, he does a great job on that,,, then i recomend taking a trip out there and see if you like it and can see yourself living there.... I am headed for Colorado the 2nd week of Febuary i am soo excited

Good luck

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-14-2008 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: typo's

Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 AM

Thanks, for your info. The job market definately caught our eye. Best of luck with your move.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 AM

16,729 posts, read 29,750,070 times
There is very little IT work in Portland or Maine, certainly nothing of the level you'd find in tech centers.
Portland is an old seaside city, with a much smaller college faction than Boulder. Housing in Portland is much cheaper than Boulder, but certainly not cheap by any other standards. It's closer to Boston in price than inland Maine, that's for sure.

Maybe I don't properly understand- does the OP already live in Portland and work in IT?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:44 AM

Hi there,

Yes we live in Portland, but my husband currently does contract work for his previous Company. Since we have been here, 5 months he hasn't seen anything that would meet his job skill. Work wasn't really the issue for our move it was lifestyle, however we have the luxury of living anywhere we want as long as we have a laptop. So, we are taking advantage of our time while our son is young to explore and find the best fit.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:44 AM

90,373 posts, read 112,721,504 times
Colorado is not the west coast, nor is it near the coast. It is about 1200 miles to LA from here. There are a lot of IT jobs all over the metro area; Boulder is one center, another is the Denver Tech Center. There is a lot about Boulder on the forum, I would suggest doing a search or even just looking through the first two pages of the threads for threads about Boulder. They are usually on the Denver forum; sometimes on the Colorado forum.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:04 PM

835 posts, read 2,723,818 times
lol i think you may like boulder its a little peice of san fransico in the rocky mtn region, no joke

Old 01-14-2008, 12:24 PM

676 posts, read 2,668,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Colorado is not the west coast, nor is it near the coast. It is about 1200 miles to LA from here. There are a lot of IT jobs all over the metro area; Boulder is one center, another is the Denver Tech Center. There is a lot about Boulder on the forum, I would suggest doing a search or even just looking through the first two pages of the threads for threads about Boulder. They are usually on the Denver forum; sometimes on the Colorado forum.
Perhaps not near the coast but I believe the west coast lifestyle influences colorado more so than the east

Old 01-14-2008, 12:38 PM

90,373 posts, read 112,721,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
Perhaps not near the coast but I believe the west coast lifestyle influences colorado more so than the east
Maybe. In any event, it's way different from Maine! (Yes, I have been there.)

Old 01-14-2008, 12:49 PM

7,810 posts, read 17,994,635 times
steveco. wrote:
I have lived on the west coast and the east coast, and I really don't see an influence from either coast, at least not in Grand Junction. What west coast influence are you speaking of specifically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado