Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 2,732 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I've been lurking on this forum for a long time reading and taking in as much information as I could. See, my wife and I are in the planning stage of a 1->5->9 year plan. This being the first year we're looking for land to purchases first. Then, within the next 4 years have the house built then the 9th year which is the same year our son graduates from college make the move and quit the rat race.

We are looking for a nice size plot at least 10 acres up to whatever and all four seasons with a good hearty winter (snow). Ideally a county where multiple structures can be built on the plot, a main house and maybe one or two guest homes. We live in a gated golf course HOA community now and that's the last thing we want, crazy covenants! If we wanted to build a main house and 2 arched cabins then that would be ok, or who knows maybe just 3 three arched cabins. I guess the bottom line is we're looking for the least amount of restrictions as possible.

We're also looking for off the grid to semi off the grid living with the ability to hunt for as much food to stock the freezers as possible. (It seems as though the hunting laws are not as living off the land friendly like Alaska but we'll do our best!). We've been looking at land from Fort Collins to SLV to Pueblo and there's a lot of information to take in, between the water rights etc. The prices are all over the place too, 4k for a 5 acres, 20k for a 40 acres all the way up too 100k for 1.5 acres.

We're not locked into having be near a major city or anything like that so location is 100% flexible. Ideally it would be an up and coming area one that has not really been overrun with a lot of residents. It's time for piece and quiet.

I know it seems like a lot of requirements but in it's simplest form we are looking for a nice lot to set up shop and replicate living in Alaska closely as possible without having to move to Alaska, although Alaska is on my list, still trying to get on my wife's though!

This is a wide open post and any guidance, information help etc, is greatly welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 10:22 AM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
Land Budget?

While living off-grid ... do you still want nearby access to shopping, entertainment, recreation, medical and similar amenities ... or are you willing to be in a "remote" area where even a grocery shopping trip is a significant drive? You may wish to consider these aspects in view of the possible older age you'll be at when living this independent life and not needing close by access to a "major city".

How willing are you to be isolated/snowed in during the winter months for perhaps 4 months a year?

Old 03-23-2015, 11:35 AM

Hi- Sunsprit,

About an hour of travel time to nearby shopping, entrainment, etc is ok with us. We would stock up on supplies maybe bi-weekly or monthly for what we would need to purchase from stores.

For the land budget of course the cheaper the better but we're not unrealistic either! Up to 100k is the sweet spot of the comfort zone we set aside for land and wouldn't require any changes to our current liquid investments, early downsizing so on and so forth. I really wish those properties in SLV were actually a possibility but we don't want an all sagebrush lot with little to no snow. We don't mind the cold but really want the snow too!

As for the hard living we'll be 44-45 when we would make the move full time, so hopefully we'll still be of strong body and mind!

In terms of being snowed in that's ok with us. Would snow machines not even be a possibility in most parts though? Cell service would be a plus too...

Old 03-23-2015, 02:07 PM

914 posts, read 2,208,186 times
The limiting factor on multiple residences is going to be water. Unless you have an older grandfathered well (unlikely), you cannot put multiple residences on a single well on anything less than 35 acres. Look up the differences between a domestic and household permit. A good place to start is Well Permitting .

On the other hand, if you purchase, say, three adjoining parcels of 2 acres each, you can build a house on each and drill a well for each - keeping in mind you will still have only a household permit for each. If you wish to live off-grid, this is actually a viable option as many of the hundreds (thousands?) of subdivided ranches in Colorado have unoccupied parcels that are far less expensive due to the cost of bring in electricity.

I believe the vast majority of subdivided land in Colorado has either an HOA or covenants or both. Enforcement varies from pharisaic precision to not at all.

A well permit does not a well make. There is no guarantee you will find water on any given parcel. One parcel can achieve 5 gallons per minute, another 300 yards away can pump only 1/2 gallon per minute. Or none at all.

One hour from a metro area for shopping is not necessarily very far. It could be as little as 25 miles, even in good weather.

Have you thought about the Grand Junction area at all?

Old 03-23-2015, 02:17 PM

694 posts, read 1,040,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeforchange33 View Post
Hello All,

I've been lurking on this forum for a long time reading and taking in as much information as I could. See, my wife and I are in the planning stage of a 1->5->9 year plan. This being the first year we're looking for land to purchases first. Then, within the next 4 years have the house built then the 9th year which is the same year our son graduates from college make the move and quit the rat race.

We are looking for a nice size plot at least 10 acres up to whatever and all four seasons with a good hearty winter (snow). Ideally a county where multiple structures can be built on the plot, a main house and maybe one or two guest homes. We live in a gated golf course HOA community now and that's the last thing we want, crazy covenants! If we wanted to build a main house and 2 arched cabins then that would be ok, or who knows maybe just 3 three arched cabins. I guess the bottom line is we're looking for the least amount of restrictions as possible.

We're also looking for off the grid to semi off the grid living with the ability to hunt for as much food to stock the freezers as possible. (It seems as though the hunting laws are not as living off the land friendly like Alaska but we'll do our best!). We've been looking at land from Fort Collins to SLV to Pueblo and there's a lot of information to take in, between the water rights etc. The prices are all over the place too, 4k for a 5 acres, 20k for a 40 acres all the way up too 100k for 1.5 acres.

We're not locked into having be near a major city or anything like that so location is 100% flexible. Ideally it would be an up and coming area one that has not really been overrun with a lot of residents. It's time for piece and quiet.

I know it seems like a lot of requirements but in it's simplest form we are looking for a nice lot to set up shop and replicate living in Alaska closely as possible without having to move to Alaska, although Alaska is on my list, still trying to get on my wife's though!

This is a wide open post and any guidance, information help etc, is greatly welcomed!
Might want to check out Pagosa Springs.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:42 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Drilling wells isn't cheap either, usually thousands for a well.

Nothing in the first post indicates why it has to be in Colorado, so I'd point out that many areas of the country would work with the concept.

The SLV is a rigorous place. As Afghanistan has been a graveyard of nations, so too is there some truth that the SLV is a graveyard of dreams.

Having done some planning work with the Army, I caution people about long range plans. Who knew of ISIS when we looked at 25-year plans back in 1992 after Desert Storm? Who knew how fast technology would move back then when AOL couldn't keep you on line very long before kicking you off that 9.6K modem?

Lastly, who knows how one's own life can change suddenly with an illness or a simple change of heart of what appeals to them, not to mention how the world can change out from under you in 9 years. Pursue your dream but don't be afraid to abandon it if that's what the realities come down to.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the input we'll check out Pagosa Springs and really drill down deeper into well permitting. As we drill deeper into well permits it seems like 35 acres is the number we want to shot for then from what was said earlier. I'm assuming there is something like a water surveyor that you can bring in to check the property for water? Heck, maybe we'll get lucky and find a lot with at least one well in place already!

@MikeFromBackEast

Thanks for the words of wisdom there, I understand where you are coming from as a former active duty USCG officer and current AF reserver officer myself I totally understand that long range planning is always subject to change! My wife and I have always had a plan of some sorts for our whole lives! Some things worked out according to plan, others didn't! But, we always adapt and just move forward. One of my favorite sayings to my team at work and in the military is, "going forward"! Always have some sort of plan but be ready to change it a moments notice and know how that change fits into the bigger picture going forward. Right now it's just the first phase which is buying the land, so even it something was to happen that land can passed on to others in the family. So, I see very little risk in making the land purchase now, it's not an investment where we are looking for a 20% return on the land in 10 years to sale for a profit, it's land to own forever (long as certain government variables remain status quo!).

Around why not other parts of the country, we have always loved Colorado Other states are not out of the question but we feel a lot more comfortable with what the state has to offer. The east coast is out (In the DC area now and from PA) and the west coast is out (we were stationed out west before). That only leaves a handful of mid-west states or Alaska, which I would do in a second but my wife's not comfortable with that right now!

Old 03-23-2015, 06:14 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
I see a possibility in heading to Colorado's Western Slope, in the areas that will give you opportunities for privacy/remoteness with fishing/hunting opportunities in a 4-season environment.

The trade-off will be that access to the "big city" for the offerings there that you'll need from time to time. Distance/time will be more than an hour and access in some of the winter months may be problematic.

Overall, however, I think you'll get more of the Colorado experience you seek closer to that of an Alaskan property heading to the corridor along Hwy 40 West of Hayden through to Dinosaur, or Hwy 13 from an area North of Craig down to Rifle.

On water well drilling: you may have success with a water "witch", but until you've drilled a producing well with potable water production, it may be a guess in some areas. I've known more than a few folk to drill multiple dry holes on their properties while their neighbors around them have producing wells. It's more an art than a science in some portions of Colorado.

IMO, the Front Range of Colorado is an antithesis to what you're seeking. It's the focal point of the larger population density and the source of so many weekenders coming into your area for R&R and recreation. The further away from this population density you can locate, the more isolation you'll enjoy.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:50 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Kentucky.
Tennessee.
Southern Illinois.
Southern Indiana.

Not Colorado.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
It's time for peace and quiet.... bottom line is we're looking for the least amount of restrictions as possible
where are you coming FROM?
How close to an airport or college / hospital will you need to be?

MT is the only western state (besides AK) I know of with reduced zoning to allow your desired structures. It would be better to buy an existing place that has the infrastructure / permits. (I know of a great one in Clark Fork, ID). A friend needs to sell due to health issues 15 yrs after retirement. It is superb and in operation as a guest ranch.

I consider Septic to be of equal barrier than Well.

Front Range of Colorado is probably not going to fly for you (very expensive, very crowded, and high burden of permits)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado