Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,712 times

Advertisements

Well, a friend and I are moving out west to Colorado from Ohio. Moving out there to work for a family friend in Ouray. From what I have found, there aren't many housing options in Ouray. So i need something in the surrounding cities, towns if at all possible. I have a job lined up, obviously, but housing is a different story. Both me and my friend have pitbulls and are looking to rent a house, apartment, condo, townhouse, etc. Anything really. We just need something that isn't affordable and decent, but not a dump. I am nowhere near familiar with the area, so any help would be greatly appreciated! I have to be out there by May 1st. So time is of the essence. Thanks in advance everybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 11:01 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Ridgway has become a fairly high priced to live, and if you're on a budget, that leaves Montrose - a town of about 20,000 and about a 45 minute drive from Ouray - this despite the fact that the two towns are only 37 miles apart - lots of tourist traffic and a few bad spots on the road. Good luck with your move and your new job!

Old 04-04-2015, 01:23 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Montrose will be the most likely. Dogs will eliminate some options but call a few property management companies and see what they say. There are some Montrose motels that rent by week or month. You could start there and then search in person when you arrive.

Where have you checked? Some options here montrosepress.com

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-04-2015 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Merged posts 2:1

Old 04-04-2015, 08:12 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Having dogs are going to be a problem. There are a few rentals available:

western slope apartments & rentals "ridgway" - craigslist

View Michael S Underwood's Homes for Sale | Michael S Underwood - Ouray County, Ouray

Montrose has tons of rentals, that would be your best option. Check Craigslist and the local papers. Good luck in your move.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:24 AM

289 posts, read 776,112 times
Are you sure Montrose would be the right place? Speaking from experience, the town doesn't take too kindly to people who move in from outside of the Montrose-Delta-Grand Junction corridor. The town is isolated (5+ hours to a big city) and difficult to travel out of if you need to travel a great distance. The economy isn't in very good shape either. I would recommend looking at other options, but it's your call.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:31 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
May I ask is the job worth it?

Traffic in the summer, good point.
Pit bulls no less, cuts down even options of ''small pets allowed''.
Where will 2 pit bulls hang out all day? Taking them with you maybe to
the job?
I am not a discouraging person usually...I believe in
things fallng into our laps...but this is tougher.
Good luck to you...it is a beautiful area!!

Old 04-06-2015, 11:47 AM

670 posts, read 1,052,766 times
An FYI within the city limits of Montrose the city code restricts you to two dogs max per household. I don't know how strictly it is enforced but since you said pitbulls plural I thought it might be good for you to know in case you have more than two.

http://www.cityofmontrose.org/Faq.aspx?QID=133

Echoing what others have said finding a rental that takes dogs is going to narrow your choices, large breed dogs even more so and breeds that get placed on the "aggressive" breed lists (whether it is warranted or not) is going to limit you even more.

You might have more luck renting from an individual versus a complex, does your family friend have any contacts? Also be careful of Craigslist ads there have been some rental scams reported lately in the area.

Last edited by StarrySkiesAbove; 04-06-2015 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 04-07-2015, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,554 times
My bf and I just moved to Montrose from out of state. The 2 main roads can be pretty busy, but overall I love this area. I'm more of a country girl so eventually we want to get land. But it is nice that no matter were you are in town, you can see mountains.

Lots of apartments around here, but having dogs will really hurt you. Area best management and Colorado west property management companies both have month-to-month studios for rent. That is what we are doing now until we get more familiar with the area and figure out where we want to move more long term. They are crappy. Basically motel rooms turned into a studio. But it is survivable and ya can't beat cheap rent, allowing us to really save!

Oh, lots of mobile homes for rent in the area. Do a google search for mobile home parks and call them asking if anyone in the park has a rental available.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-08-2015 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: Merged posts 2:1

Old 04-10-2015, 03:31 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
You might be able to find a place in Ridgway or Ouray if you pursue everything and ask around like a few other folks did recently in other mountain towns.

If the dogs are well trained and always fully controlled and you are a good salesman, maybe some landlord will give you a chance. Don't slip. A neighbor of mine had some troubles and stopped caring for and controlling his pit bull mixes. A few dog fights later with other neighbor dogs and those youthful offender dogs went to the shelter. Maybe they get a second chance, maybe not. If they fights had been worse, they stood a good chance of being shot. One neighbor was about 5 seconds away from doing so. I've seen this scene before. Want a chance with dogs, especially certain dogs? Always, always control them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado