Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 03:35 PM

6 posts, read 23,155 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated with my masters and am in a same sex marriage. I am a school counselor. However in my field jobs cans sometimes be scarce. I have seen many opening in the state of Co. I am also African American and my wife is mixed race. We wanted to know about ethnic diversity and tolerance of same sex couples within Co. We also want to know about the cost of living for mid range salary owners. I'm interested in a more urban area like Colorado Springs, Denver or Aspen. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 04:32 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Aspen is not urban. It's a very expensive resort town in the mountains.

Colorado Spring is home of Focus on the Family.

Search the Denver/Boulder area. Very liberal and accepting. Most will not bat an eye at you. Our African American population is lower than many areas in the country, but racism is very minimal compared to what it can be in other cities.

Cost of living is fairly high compared similar sized non costal cities.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:52 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
You were previously looking at moving to coastal areas, so I assume that you are not very familiar with Colorado. You should probably focus on the Denver/Boulder area, although Boulder may well be too expensive for you. I suggest that you spend some time reading through the many threads on this forum concerning cost of living, diversity, liberal areas, jobs, etc. There have also been discussions from people wanting to move to Colorado from the east coast and these should be of interest to you.

Just realize that right now a whole lot of people are looking to move to Colorado and the housing market (both rentals and owning) is WAY crazy.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:53 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
One service that estimates cost of living in different cities based on government data says that Denver is 15% more expensive that national average, largely because housing was almost 50% more expensive than average. Compared to Philly, Denver is about 20% more expensive overall because housing within Philly is comparatively way way cheaper. Of course your actual experience depends on what housing is available and what you choose. The average house in different cities can vary in size, age, condition and amenities. The price difference for a very similar house might not vary as much. However Denver might actually be even more expensive now because of that heightened demand mentioned in the above post. When you see a lot of openings in a certain place, it can help to ask potential co-workers why. One reason can be the cost of living compared to wages ratio, though growth is another reason.

African-Americans in Denver have a history of challenges and accomplishments that might interest and inform if you desire to read it.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-27-2015 at 03:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado