Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,009 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are from Minnesota (ie. sea level!), and we are planning our first vacation to Colorado. Though we are well versed in camping and hiking, we have never done so at above 5,000 feet. As we plan our adventure, I'd like some input in regards to the elevation issue.

At the bottom is our "elevation itinerary" for the elevations of the campgrounds that we will be staying at overnight. During the day we will likely hike at slightly higher elevations, particularly on the 8th day, when we plan to tackle a 14er (possibly Huron Peak).

I realize that altitude sickness affects everyone differently, but does this seem like a reasonable plan? My goal was to not sleep at greater than 1,000 feet higher than the previous night once we have reached 8,000 feet. I have done my research on avoiding, as much as is possible, altitude sickness, but I am looking for more specific recommendations regarding how to gradually ease into the elevation, culminating in climbing a 14er.

On days 7 and 8 before the 14er, would it be better to sleep at an even higher elevation in order to kick our kidneys into high gear in preparation, or would that just make us more likely to suffer from altitude sickness on those days? We will be driving from MN to CO, not flying.

Day 1: 4,000 feet
Day 2: 7,800 feet
Day 3: 7,800 feet
Day 4: 8,680 feet
Day 5: 9,300 feet
Day 6: 9,300 feet
Day 7: 9,200 feet
Day 8: 9,200 feet **14er day
Day 9: 5,600 feet

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 01:51 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNative View Post
My partner and I are from Minnesota (ie. sea level!), and we are planning our first vacation to Colorado. Though we are well versed in camping and hiking, we have never done so at above 5,000 feet. As we plan our adventure, I'd like some input in regards to the elevation issue.

At the bottom is our "elevation itinerary" for the elevations of the campgrounds that we will be staying at overnight. During the day we will likely hike at slightly higher elevations, particularly on the 8th day, when we plan to tackle a 14er (possibly Huron Peak).

I realize that altitude sickness affects everyone differently, but does this seem like a reasonable plan? My goal was to not sleep at greater than 1,000 feet higher than the previous night once we have reached 8,000 feet. I have done my research on avoiding, as much as is possible, altitude sickness, but I am looking for more specific recommendations regarding how to gradually ease into the elevation, culminating in climbing a 14er.

On days 7 and 8 before the 14er, would it be better to sleep at an even higher elevation in order to kick our kidneys into high gear in preparation, or would that just make us more likely to suffer from altitude sickness on those days? We will be driving from MN to CO, not flying.

Day 1: 4,000 feet
Day 2: 7,800 feet
Day 3: 7,800 feet
Day 4: 8,680 feet
Day 5: 9,300 feet
Day 6: 9,300 feet
Day 7: 9,200 feet
Day 8: 9,200 feet **14er day
Day 9: 5,600 feet

Thanks in advance for the help!
My wife and I climbed Long's Peak years ago. We hiked to the campsite at about 11,000 ft. the first night, then went to the top the next day, at 14,000+ feet. No problems at all. Granted, we'd been in Estes Park for a couple of days (drove in from NYC), and therefore already had spent some time at about 7500 ft., but generally I think altitude is not a problem for most people until they get at least 8,000 ft up. Your schedule strikes me as overly cautious. Of course, everybody reacts differently; age and physical condition make a difference.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:07 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
hiked in RMNP many times as a younster and did several of the loops and one-ways around Bears Lake and didn't have any problems. However, a couple years ago went back and tried to get up to to Dream Lake and I think the elevations have shifted upwards because I was relly sucking at this walking uphill stuff. I had to lay down just to have a smoke, people were shaking there heads at me in agreement.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:28 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,093 times
What's your general condition level?

I had no issues going from 700ft altitude in Chicago to 5000+ in Colorado, including running at 8k+ up in the mountains. Obviously running at altitude is slower, but just take it easy and don't over extend, but if you're in generally good shape, you should be OK.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:30 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,114 times
It's good to take it easy and be cautious but IMO you are overdoing it. It doesn't take a week to climb a 14er.
Seriously.
"Day 1 4,000 feet" does not make sense. There are no campgrounds at 4,000'.
What you have to fear way more than "altitude sickness" is lightning. Lightning Safety Tips - The Colorado Hiker | Colorado Hikes
Here are some good sites for you to get the best info: http://www.14ers.com/
Hikes: An Introduction to Hiking Colorado 14ers
Huron Peak : Climbing, Hiking & Mountaineering : SummitPost

Old 04-30-2015, 02:33 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
What's your general condition level?

I had no issues going from 700ft altitude in Chicago to 5000+ in Colorado, including running at 8k+ up in the mountains. Obviously running at altitude is slower, but just take it easy and don't over extend, but if you're in generally good shape, you should be OK.
Condition level does not affect altitude sickness. If it has any affect, it seems that highly tuned athletes are more susceptible to it.

As for the OP, the old adage is hike high, sleep low for best acclimation.

The comment on lightning is a good one. Thunderstorms roll in typical long the afternoons, so it is always a good idea to get you summit as early as possible. You do not want to be exposed on a 14,000 mountain in a lightning storm.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:46 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Condition level does not affect altitude sickness. If it has any affect, it seems that highly tuned athletes are more susceptible to it.
Couldn't rep you again yet.

I'm almost 10 years older than a friend who is a marathoner and tri-athlete. She is in phenomenal shape. Last time she visited we hiked around 10,000' -- she got headachey and nauseous. I think it was dehydration but she insisted she had AMS.

:For more info: Altitude or Mountain Sickness - The Travel Doctor

Old 04-30-2015, 04:02 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
Couldn't rep you again yet.

I'm almost 10 years older than a friend who is a marathoner and tri-athlete. She is in phenomenal shape. Last time she visited we hiked around 10,000' -- she got headachey and nauseous. I think it was dehydration but she insisted she had AMS.

:For more info: Altitude or Mountain Sickness - The Travel Doctor
When I was ski patrolling, we had a doc talk on AMS and he said that his theory was athletes bodies become such finely tuned instruments that something like a change in oxygen % in the air can create a much more devastating consequence to them. To illustrate why he thought this way, he said that the only group that they had studied who seemed to be less prone to AMS was smokers. He felt that they were so used to operating in oxygen depleted environments that their bodies probably don't even notice that they are at elevation.

Not enough to make me want to start smoking.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:14 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,682 times
Hydrate - Hydrate - Hydrate (water, along with our excellent craft beer)

Affects everyone different but this looks like a very safe, conservative approach.

My guess is 4,000' campground is on drive from Minn.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:28 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Drink a LOT of water and then drink some more. Stay away from alcohol. I live at 7,000 feet and camp at 10,000 to 11,000 feet all the time. Move a bit slower at high elevations, and drink lots and lots of water. The tourists who get into trouble here are the low landers who run around all day at 8,000 feet up then decide to get drunk or get high. They typically wake up with a Paramedic looking at them.

Anyway, good luck and have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: