Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:14 PM

63 posts, read 80,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban865 View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about boulder2015, but if I can move within the next year I can still get in while its good. I plan on going to college and getting my degree, I just want to have some adventure in my life first. If I can get involved right now while the going is good, I can have an awesome job to help me through college.
If you are really interested in growing, you can easily find a trimmer jobs. They suck, plain and simple. Pay is low and benefits are rare in the position. Go to College and get a degree in agriculture. The above poster is correct, big industry will take over mainstream marijuana. Its only a matter of time. We may still have small shops here and there, much like the micro brewery scene, but big business will dominate. When they do, master growers positions will not go to hippy growers no matter how good they are, the jobs will go to scientist. Botanist who can tailor genetics, engineers that can find a way to save water or power, those will be the people with decent jobs in the industry. With an agriculture degree it will also let you go in to other fields if the marijuana business isn't where you want to further your career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 11:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban865 View Post
... I can have an awesome job to help me through college.
my awesome Colorado job paid 100% of my college expenses for 4 engineering degrees.

I Trust yours will do the same!

Old 07-02-2015, 10:05 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,310 times
Those opportunities don't exist (or at the level) that they did decades ago. This isn't the Colorado of the 60's and 70's. I for one would not want to fill peoples heads with false hopes.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:06 PM

76 posts, read 70,972 times
Trimmer jobs only go to hot young girls. They pay minimum wage or sometimes just product. Your odds of finding this gig- and why would you want it, anyway?- as a random dude bopping around town are virtually zero. Marijuana is still illegal federally, growers don't give outsiders jobs. They could be feds, they could be thieves.

When I spoke of pot jobs let me be clear what I was talking about: Growing. That's the only realistic path an unconnected random guy can hope to squeeze a living out in the pot game. And let's be clear about another thing: you aren't going to sell to the dispensaries. You're going to sell in parking lots just like people do in Kansas, or Idaho, or Florida, with some legal cover attached to it. The same physical risks are present; you're still exchanging large amounts of money with people you don't know in parking lots, or wherever..

Even this small window of high-risk living has 3-6 years left max. The feds will only legalize when their corporate donors finalize a way to own the industry. At that point small time growers will be ushered out, just as other small businesses have been in every walk of life for generations.

The government hates legalization but what it hates even more is self-made, small-time entrepreneurs making upper-middle class money when their corporate donors should have that money.

You can make good middle class money if you grow for the next few years, but understand the risks...if you're a smaller hippie vegan guy you're basically bait...you'll be on the news in the ER or a body bag. Legal or not, you can't call the sheriff and ask him to supervise your drug deal heh (well, dispensary owners can and do, but that's a different can of worms.)

Old 07-03-2015, 07:29 AM

242 posts, read 413,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminofitall View Post
And let's be clear about another thing: you aren't going to sell to the dispensaries. You're going to sell in parking lots just like people do in Kansas, or Idaho, or Florida, with some legal cover attached to it
Untrue. there is no legal cover/protection/allowance for non-licensed growers in CO to sell cannabis legally. The law plainly states that any remuneration in exchange for any cannabis product is illegal.
This includes "donations", bartering, or any other arrangement where $$$ or services or anything else is exchanged for weed.

And.... weed in CO is worth 1/2 or less what it sells for where you are now.

"this is not the droid you are looking for"

Old 07-03-2015, 11:00 PM

76 posts, read 70,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Demon View Post
Untrue. there is no legal cover/protection/allowance for non-licensed growers in CO to sell cannabis legally. The law plainly states that any remuneration in exchange for any cannabis product is illegal.
This includes "donations", bartering, or any other arrangement where $$$ or services or anything else is exchanged for weed.

And.... weed in CO is worth 1/2 or less what it sells for where you are now.

"this is not the droid you are looking for"
By the letter of the law, nothing you said is untrue.

I'm speaking from experience applying the law as a practical matter, which is something different.

Nobody cares if you're selling a pound or two, unless you **** someone off in local law enforcement.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:44 AM

242 posts, read 413,148 times
I had the same "practical" experience you speak of for about 25 years.

Needless to say...it sure was a lot of fun before it all got so easy and all of the clowns showed up.

be safe out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado