Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 02:08 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,145 times

Advertisements

I did a search and only saw two general mentions of Cederedge.

We just spent a day there at the museum, which was awesome by the way, but I didn't really get to spend much time checking anything else out.
I just wanted to see if there is anybody here that is familiar with the town and it's people. Tell me all about it.
What do folks do for a living there?
Would it be a good place to retire to?
Are new people welcome there ?
Looks like a good place to garden.
Any and all info would be appriciated!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 02:12 PM

675 posts, read 645,049 times
"Cederedge" lookslike a misspelling, and it indeed is. Here is the town's website: Town of Cedaredge, CO Official Website

Old 07-21-2015, 02:40 PM

Ah Doggonnit so it is, thanks NT...

Still wouldn't mind some locals advise.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:52 PM

675 posts, read 645,049 times
Understood! I searched with my spelling and didn't seem to get much besides it being an hour from Gunnison/CMU. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:34 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Folks in Cedaredge will do what small town folk will do anywhere- sell food, gas, farm and household supplies, insurance, booze, houses and probably used cars; fix cars, operate the schools and local government, construction, home maintenance services, etc. And some work orchards or in mines. Health services, including in home is a segment that is probably growing.

About 30% of population is over 65 compared to national average of 13%. Seems like a decent place to retire if you dont mind small, dry, pretty conservative, like to fish mountain lakes in summer, don't mind driving to Delta or Grand Junction for certain stuff.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-21-2015 at 04:39 PM..

Old 07-21-2015, 05:21 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Familiar with the town. I have family who lives there. Indeed it is that picturesque small mountainish town. At the base of the Grand Mesa it's about 7,000 feet or so. The kids there, as kids in any small town are bored. And as such tend to cause mischief.

We just spent a day there at the museum, which was awesome by the way, but I didn't really get to spend much time checking anything else out.

The museum is a nice place. Also go to the Appleshed which is down from the museum and walk along Main Street. It's also a short drive up to the Grand Mesa. Huge festival in fall Applefest.

What do folks do for a living there?

Mostly retired folks. Work is either ranching, or farming ( lot of apple orchards), work in the shops in town or in Delta.

Would it be a good place to retire to?

I know a lot of retirees there. Mostly live up above town. If you bring a lot of money with you, good place. There is a clinic in town. The nearest hospital is in Delta, next nearest is in Grand Junction. Town has a supermarket, a pharmacy, a vet clinic, a Dollar Store, a couple of pizza places and some good cafes and restaurants, a few mechanics, gas stations and one bank. Full time police department, volunteer fire department.

Are new people welcome there ?

All depends. It's a small town so folks are not to trusting and weary of the whole "oh here comes another Californian" moving there. If you move there and don't talk about changing things, you'll be ok.

Looks like a good place to garden.

Growing season is late May to early September. There's been snow in June and as early as August. Serious gardeners have greenhouses.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:57 PM

304 posts, read 344,129 times
I worked in Cedaredge several years ago, as I did most of Delta County. Cedaredge is a beautiful town, but if you aren't from there, you will have a difficult time earning the trust of anyone there. I was born and raised in Colorado, but I wasn't from there.

I don't know if the police department has changed much, when I lived there, the main task was to bust speeders as soon as the speed limit dropped going into town. They were extremely strict about it. Needless to say, I've never felt more unwelcome in a job, or community, and left after a year.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:20 PM

289 posts, read 776,267 times
I've made my opinion known on the North Fork area many times in this forum. The area is isolated, insular, and full of ignorant folks. Outsiders are not welcome. I would encourage you to enjoy retirement elsewhere.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:52 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Drove through there a week or so ago, lovely area, isolated, near some superb scenery.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:43 PM

Wow, great info, thanks for all of your opinions ! I am Colorado native, stuck in Denver for now and just thought that the Cedaredge area looked nice. I might have to take a few more weekends to spend a bit more time there. I do love the outdoors and small towns. ( Spent 27 years in Wyoming) I am just always looking for that spot to retire, about ten years from now. I would rather not just pick up and go without really getting a feel for a place though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado