Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 02:10 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times

Advertisements

Seems like this is happening more often than not. Thefts are cutting out corners of the license plates to steal the year and month decals.

Sticker thief cuts off chunk of license plate

Ideas that may deter theft from license plate decals... Do away with license plate decals and install them inside the lower driver side windshield similar to Texas

Or do what Arizona and other states implement, one decal with month/year on the decal that has the license plate # on. If the decal doesn't match the license plate, then it's not legal to use on different plate.

It's time for Colorado to step it up with security and get with the times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 02:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post

RFID! (coming to a car near you)

(works on my 'enhanced' Drivers License)

Old 08-05-2015, 02:38 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Seems like this is happening more often than not. Thefts are cutting out corners of the license plates to steal the year and month decals.

Sticker thief cuts off chunk of license plate

Ideas that may deter theft from license plate decals... Do away with license plate decals and install them inside the lower driver side windshield similar to Texas

OK, and whats going to stop a thief from simply cutting out a section of the windshield to get the sticker? Or smashing the side window and pealing the sticker off? Seems to me that your plan would likely just cause more damage to the victims vehicle.

Quote:
Or do what Arizona and other states implement, one decal with month/year on the decal that has the license plate # on. If the decal doesn't match the license plate, then it's not legal to use on different plate.

So you want to make it easier for the thief, so they only have to steal one sticker, instead of two?

Old 08-05-2015, 06:09 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,211 times
This is not something I genuinely worry about. What are the statistics for this type of theft? How many decals are stolen per year?

The Arizona one wouldn't work very well. The police officer has to be up real close to verify it, meaning he/she is already pulling you over. At that point, when the vehicles registration is presented, it'll be expired.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:58 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
So one theft happens in Denver? And that's a reason to change the entire licensing system? Must have been a slow news night.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:15 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
So one theft happens in Denver? And that's a reason to change the entire licensing system? Must have been a slow news night.
I agree totally; couldn't have said it better.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:19 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,289 times
The tags here are so insanely expensive it's no wonder people are wanting to steal these $500+ stickers

Old 08-05-2015, 08:19 AM

665 posts, read 1,295,211 times
Not sure how much it helps, but after I put the sticker on I take a razor blade and slice an X through it. That way it's harder for the thief to peel it off and apply it so that it looks normal. Someone told me to do so a long time ago and I always have. So far so good!

Old 08-05-2015, 08:32 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
At some point, I am sure a chip will be embedded inside the car.

If you don't pay your insurance or if you allow the registration to expire, the DMV will remotely invalidate that chip and that same chip will broadcast a signal to cops to indicate that this moving car - is illegal.

Solves the problems of theft, and uninsured motorists.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:34 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Q: Does Colorado DMV replace stolen Tag Sticker for Free/Few $'s ?

I know Georgia will replace lost/stolen sticker for (I think) $5.

Since the sticker has a serial number on it and your plate number, The Plate will not match the sticker, and the S/N is in a database of lost/stolen if a cop find a plate / sticker non match, s/he can run the S/N also. If the S/N is reported lost/stolen they impound the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: