Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:42 PM

57 posts, read 99,495 times

Advertisements

Before we make a final decision we plan on visiting Colorado. I would prefer to rent first, but hubby insists that we will buy.
We do understand what we will be losing; the closeness of the stores here, Wal-Mart, Lowes and such.
I think the hardest part of adjusting isn't going to be the weather but will be the water. We have plenty of water with the river and wells here. The people here (me included) are wasteful of water.
As I have stated, we have at least eight months to think about this, learn about what it will be like there, read up from several sites of what CO is like, will we like it or be better off moving elsewhere.

The biggest problem that can railroad us from moving there will be the medical aspect. mainly his diabetes. Insulin is expensive, and he has to have it, he has late onset juvenile diabetes, and takes five shots a day. I called today and CO doesn't accept Ohio Care Source Medicaid. I will be checking on the other medical providers and see what we can do. He may have to apply for Medicaid in CO and how difficult is it to get that? Ohio is very difficult, many are denied and have to appeal. Our son was approved 4 months after we applied due to his neurological problems and diabetes.
He follows all the guidelines of diabetes, watches what he eats, check his sugar levels, gets blood work done regularly. We have all learned to read labels. and be more informed/careful of what we eat, how we prepare foods.
The neurological is where he keeps headaches all the time. Smells, sounds, bright lights all set them off. Neurologist told us that basically he will have the symptoms of a severe migraine due to the damage to his brain. He has balance problems so he uses a cane when he does leave the house. This was caused by Wal-Mart giving him the wrong medication. Their reaction, sorry and that was it. Too big, powerful to fight.

Since KY and WV accept his medical card, I didn't think about CO not accepting it. I should have, though and checked that out at the start. If he had Medicare it would be accepted, but not Medicaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 06:32 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
You would get a lot more for your dollar looking further south away from the major ski resorts. I am thinking Fairplay, Florissant, Jefferson, Ouray
I'm not familiar with Florissant or Ouray much, but I wouldn't suggest Fairplay or Jefferson.

Jefferson doesn't qualify as a town, in my opinion. It's barely a dot on the map, and has very few (maybe a dozen?) full time residents.

Fairplay might work, though winters can be pretty cold with average lows in the teens. Snow sticks around longer there than it does in the front range, but there wouldn't be too many instances of having to shovel a foot of snow off the driveway. Nearest shopping and medical services would be in Frisco, which is about a 45 minute drive over a mountain highway. During the winter, you might find a few times that the road would be closed. That highway goes up over Hoosier Pass, at 11,542 ft. It can be pretty nasty during the winter.

Have you looked at Delta? It's on the western slope, and depending on where you are, you can get some good mountain views. It's a bit larger than some of the places you've been looking at, but it is my understanding there are plenty of services within Delta itself. I have an aunt who lives there with a special needs child and find all the services she needs locally.

Good luck.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:12 AM

57 posts, read 99,495 times
I don't remember why Akron, I know that I looked on the site here of list of towns and probably wrote it down to check out and couldn't find much info on it.
Will check them out.

Seems I will need to focus on medical insurance for my son. I will need to see what will have to be done for him to qualify for CO Medicaid.
*Sigh*

Old 08-13-2015, 11:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janna55 View Post
I don't remember why Akron,

Seems I will need to focus on medical insurance for my son. I will need to see what will have to be done for him to qualify for CO Medicaid.
*Sigh*
Available / affordable medical and MOST of the towns you mention are not a viable match.

Don't expect to find much info on Akron! This pretty much tells the story:
//www.city-data.com/city/Akron-Colorado.html
Population in 2013: 1,704 (0% urban, 100% rural). Population change since 2000: -0.4%
"the rest of the story = "wheat fields, Tumbleweeds and Prairie as far as you can see in any direction!" (Anyone seen Dorothy and Toto?)

For 10 yrs... There was a 20 unit senior care home for sale in Akron, CO for less than the price of a SFR elsewhere in CO.

Buy / build your own Hospital and care center! It is certainly needed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado