Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 10:31 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times

Advertisements

I have a swamp cooler in my home, and we just noticed that one of the drops is leaking water pretty badly. We had this same problem a few years back (it is always in the winter) and after talking with an HVAC person we thought it was solved. He recommended that we buy down draft covers to avoid condensation build up. That seems to work for several years. We did have some minor damage to the ceiling around the drop, but it dried out.

However, we decided to finally re-paint the ceiling this year. My husband was prepping the area around the down draft, and once again we have a leak. It appears to be extreme condensation that is dripping. Has anyone had problems with this? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 12:01 PM

353 posts, read 1,706,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I have a swamp cooler in my home, and we just noticed that one of the drops is leaking water pretty badly. We had this same problem a few years back (it is always in the winter) and after talking with an HVAC person we thought it was solved. He recommended that we buy down draft covers to avoid condensation build up. That seems to work for several years. We did have some minor damage to the ceiling around the drop, but it dried out.

However, we decided to finally re-paint the ceiling this year. My husband was prepping the area around the down draft, and once again we have a leak. It appears to be extreme condensation that is dripping. Has anyone had problems with this? Any suggestions?
I am also an hvac tech. Make sure the flashing around the cooler on the roof isn't leaking either, but the problem sounds like condensation. If the cooler on the roof isn't covered with an insulating wrap, make sure it gets one. Warm air with moisture in it will make its way to cold areas. You need to seal off the pathway that air takes to get to the cold duct drop. If air can't get up there then water won't condense out of the air on the duct. Also keep in mind that the moisture is a symptom of an air leak which is costing you money on your heating bill.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:06 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
We have done all the things mentioned in your post. We have inside drop covers as well. My husband winterizes our cooler every year. Not sure what else we can do to avoid an air leak. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-26-2008, 05:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
I would do additional searchs on forums related to home coolers, HVAC, plumbing, etc. City-Data probably isn't the best forum but there are tons of forums for everything like this and cars, stereos, mechanical stuff, home improvement....anything..

try googling this

"swamp cooler" leak OR leaking ceiling freeze OR freezing condenses OR condensation forum

Here's what I got for this google:

"swamp cooler" leak OR leaking ceiling freeze OR freezing condenses OR condensation forum - Google Search

Handy Magazine - Forums

FYI:Winterizing a Swamp Cooler - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

*Heating and Cooling for Mobile Homes - Sealing The Swamp Cooler Opening On Roof - Mobile Home Repair

Old 07-05-2011, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 12,124 times
My swamp cooler is leaking on the floor inside. What is causing this?

Old 07-05-2011, 03:16 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klickety View Post
My swamp cooler is leaking on the floor inside. What is causing this?
The float valve is probably stuck, leaking, or improperly adjusted.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,238 times
I have an evaporated swoop coolor and it burned the motor up so I got a new motor but it does the same thing go for a little while then shuts off and is over heated what can I try

Old 07-05-2017, 10:32 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen green View Post
I have an evaporated swoop coolor and it burned the motor up so I got a new motor but it does the same thing go for a little while then shuts off and is over heated what can I try
Have you checked to see if your pump and floater are working correctly?

Old 07-06-2017, 06:56 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen green View Post
Is the fan cylinder rotating freely? There is a spot where you can oil the bearings on most swap coolers. If the motors are burning out, it could be that they are getting too much resistance.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:41 AM

6,814 posts, read 10,510,104 times
You should also check/replace the switch down in your house - a bad switch can cause the motor to burn out too. Happened to mine summer - replaced the motor, had the same problem as you're describing still, so replaced the switch and that fixed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado