Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 10:54 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Oh yea, Cali all the way!
well mattress firm has so many good reviews and i wouldn't have to get up super early for work. on one end though, i wouldn't like CO because of the snow. if i can get to branch management with hertz i'd look into getting a location in the inland empire bc its cheap to live over there and prob less competition for managers over there.

but the other downside to mattress firm is i'm probably not guranteed to get into management in CO since I know they don't have alot of locations. I could be wrong through and it's still worth some question asking to them. If three months into hertz is going bad, I may need to consider Mattress Firm after all, if there is still an opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 08:30 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Snow..yeah we get some. Blizzards and tornados occur here on occasion too. Oh, and hail. He get some major hail storms along with the occasional flood, and wildfires. Some times several at once and consecutively. Get a year of bad wildfires, then the next year you'll have flooding. A storm bringing in flooding can also carry hail and whip up enough wind to create tornados.

I would tend to agree more career research is in order.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Snow..yeah we get some. Blizzards and tornados occur here on occasion too. Oh, and hail. He get some major hail storms along with the occasional flood, and wildfires. Some times several at once and consecutively. Get a year of bad wildfires, then the next year you'll have flooding. A storm bringing in flooding can also carry hail and whip up enough wind to create tornados.

I would tend to agree more career research is in order.
blizzards? Hail storms? Flooding? I thought Colorado was more mellow than that. I like mattress Firm but eek you might have convinced me out of Colorado.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:43 AM

22 posts, read 33,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
blizzards? Hail storms? Flooding? I thought Colorado was more mellow than that. I like mattress Firm but eek you might have convinced me out of Colorado.
Blizzards are very rare in Pueblo, what little snow Pueblo get is usually gone in a day or less.

Damaging hail is also rare & your insurance will sort it out.

The Fountain Creek does flood, but it does so up stream and unless you own a ranch out in the sticks it won't effect you, the Arkansas River is controlled by the Pueblo dam & the city is protected by the levee that runs through it.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:30 AM

The original topic of population in Pueblo has evolved to include a conversation that includes Fort Collins and now has taken a turn to include California. Three very different weather patterns are possible based on that as well as three potentially different lifestyles.

Keeping the conversation confined with Colorado, yes, Pueblo has very few instaces of blizzards, large snow accumulations, and damaging hail. Aside from Fountain Creek and the Arkansas River, localized flodding can occur in Pueblo on occasion. Fort Collins on the other hand, has considerable more water in its proximity along with several major rivers. It is far enough removed from the mountains that tornados do occur and hail is a fairly regular occurance every summer. Yes insurance can sort it out, but it is a tedious process.

IMO, the OP has some very, very different lifestyle choices in front of them aside from gross population figures, % of Gen Y residents, and carreer opportunities. Given the tagline of "urban beach dweller" I think there is opportunity for the OP to arrive in Colorado and in 18 months be posting in the "Why Colorado Sucks" thread. Granted this is hypothesizing on my part, but in my 20s I would have chosen the lifestyle with a higher fun factor and a lower hassle factor, which wouldn't necessarily include dealing with natural weather disasters, which are potential factors in northern Colorado. Granted, there are not the issues of earthquakes and regular out of control wildfires like in California, but we do get those on occasion too.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:46 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,337 times
Default Does Pueblo have a good-sized 20s and 30s population?

Yes, the last time I was there most of them looked a little over weight.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:00 PM

So would Pueblo and Denver have more relaxed weather than Fort Collins?

Old 08-30-2015, 10:23 PM

18,023 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Yes, the last time I was there most of them looked a little over weight.
I looked at your profile pic and saw a big old boiler on you, so you ought to know.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
So would Pueblo and Denver have more relaxed weather than Fort Collins?
Sure, Pueblo is typically relaxed if you don't mind hot. Pueblo definitely has a southwestern feel to it and has a very hot and dry climate most of the year. They do still get the occasional blizzard when the dreaded Albuquerque low blows up from New Mexico. These storms will dump feet of snow over night, but they are not regular occurances and it has been quite a few years since our last one. High winds and tornados can and do occur occasionally in the summer in either area, along with damaging hail, but it is not like Oklahoma where they happen monthly. Please don't misunderstand me. Pueblo can go months without drastic weather change, but so can anywhere in Colorado. Its not like we have inclement weather all the time, but when we get it, it is sometimes harsh.

As pointed out previously, the Arkansas River and Fountain Creek converge in Pueblo, so they have some water running through town and some low lying areas can flood. We have had rain totals this year not seen since the 1930s, so places that have been dry for decades have suddenly become mosquito habitat. I'd say find a local tv channel in each area and follow their weather forecasts for a while.

For comparison points, Pueble has the former USC (Colorado not California)now CSU south, the Thunderwolves. Fort Collins has the original CSU campus, the Rams. You can google them for specifics on population. Pueblo has Lake Pueblo for watersports just minutes west on Highway 50, its about 90 minutes to Lathrop State Park and 2 hours to John Martin Reservoir. Fort Collins has Horsetooth to the west, Fossil Creek to the east, Boyd Lake to the south and several very large reservoirs within an hours drive east. However, nothing even close to a California beach.

Population density is a whole 'nuther issue. There is a large population between Denver and Fort Collins with Lafeyette, Longmont, Berthoud, Loveland providing almost none stop population centers just west of I-25. Pueblo has Pueblo, maybe Pueblo West of you call it independent. Canon City is an hour away, Colorado Springs an hour away, nearly anything not directly in Pueblo is a ways away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado