Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,763 times

Advertisements

I plan on visiting Colorado from NY and was wondering if I should stay in Denver or Colorado Springs. I plan on doing more outdoor related activities such as camping, hiking, and just general exploring. I am not renting a car I was just going to use Uber or Lyft for things not in walking distance and would like to keep that at a somewhat minimum. I don't really need "Touristy" things to do as being from NY I know how annoying some of those people can be. Some local insight on some really cool trails or activities would be nice. Thank you, everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 06:56 AM

897 posts, read 1,253,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiehier View Post
I plan on visiting Colorado from NY and was wondering if I should stay in Denver or Colorado Springs. I plan on doing more outdoor related activities such as camping, hiking, and just general exploring. I am not renting a car I was just going to use Uber or Lyft for things not in walking distance and would like to keep that at a somewhat minimum. I don't really need "Touristy" things to do as being from NY I know how annoying some of those people can be. Some local insight on some really cool trails or activities would be nice. Thank you, everybody.
You'll find that this isn't NY. We don't find tourists annoying, rather we understand that they are a vital part of our economy (I lived in NYC for 13 years, so I used to think the same). There just aren't that many people on the streets for tourists to get in the way of (compared to trying to get home through times square on a Friday afternoon)

It will be hard to do any camping / hiking without a car, the mountains are not in walking distance - one option is to find an organized trip and go.

If you were to take Uber and have Verizon or AT&T you can and should visit South Valley Park and see the red rocks formations (We have t-mobile so I can promise you service is spotty at best there, can't vouch for Sprint but I don't hold my hopes up).

In Denver, walk around downtown, and walk the cherry creek trail. Walk it to REI (just ask anyone on the trail) and veer left where it splits and you can walk right next to Elitch Garden and Broncos stadium.

Go visit the many many microbreweries

Walk around civic center park

16th street mall will have the most people, but I find myself staying away from it the longer I've lived here.

Lots of good restaurants in LoHi, Downtown, Uptown, Cap Hill

Good luck! Have fun!

Edit: as you can see, I am biased towards Denver simply because I've never been to The Springs.

Last edited by ayoitzrimz; 08-24-2015 at 07:09 AM..

Old 08-24-2015, 08:28 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Ãœber is great around town in Denver. I use it and Lyft all the time.

As stated above, getting to the mountains without a car will take some planning. I love the idea of finding an organized trip. Another option would be a two day car rental in the middle of the trip to get you to the mountains. Red Rocks is a must see place and you can do Ãœber there.

While downtown and near REI, visit Confluence Kayaks. They can set you up with a bike rental and help you to plan a little adventuring.

In Denver, the Art Museum is worth visiting. It's no MOMA, but still cool. Colorado History Museum is cool. Breweries galore. Washington Park is a great stop on a nice weekend day.

Especially since you will not have a car, Colo Springs is not a good idea. You'll be bored to tears.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
No car? Then, Denver.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:44 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Don't forget about the Botanic Gardens in Denver. A very pleasant way to spend a few hours.

And yeah, Denver does not have the same relationship with tourists that NYC does. For one thing, they visit for different reasons and for another thing, they tend to congregate in specific areas rather than clogging sidewalks as residents are trying to get to work. I used to work in Times Square, so I can attest to this.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:39 AM

8,501 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Uber and Lfyt are in both cities.

If you studied the local and intercity bus routes, you could access some further out trails if you were willing to do some extra walking and timed it right. A few links here have suggestions. http://www.google.com/search?q=denve...84.z5JokIAy5js

http://www.google.com/m/search?=clie...2%79+%62%75%73

There is more info on how to do this for Denver-Boulder than Colorado Springs but some might be possible in CoS with your own research.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-24-2015 at 10:47 AM..

Old 08-24-2015, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,763 times
Ahh thank you everyone! Denver it is!

Old 08-24-2015, 05:26 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Denver.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:28 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,300,562 times
Rent a car. You'll spend more on Uber than the rental will cost.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:29 AM

286 posts, read 351,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Rent a car. You'll spend more on Uber than the rental will cost.
and there's much more readily available street parking than NY - surface lots and meters and structures in downtown denver, and generally accessible parking in most other places (Red Rocks, Garden of the Gods, Botanic Gardens, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado