Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 2,269 times

Advertisements

Hey!

I am looking to rent my first house. When I applied to this house they told me there was a security deposit of $1800, which I was fine with. But once they gathered myself and my two roommates information (credit report, background, income, etc.) they said we would have a higher security deposit. Possibly doubled.
My question is... is that a normal thing?

They never gave us a reason why, our backgrounds are clean, we make four times the amount of rent combined, and credit scores are over 700. The only thing I can think of is that we are all under the age of 25.

If its not normal, any suggestions on how to fight it?
We have printed off the listing that clearly states the deposit and says nothing about it possibly increasing.

Thanks for reading!

Moe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 10:21 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times
Unless a lawyer says otherwise, I assume the landlord has the right to change the terms of his offer. I would ask them directly why it changed. It probably has something to do with your age, first house, perceived risk and reliability. I'd request another in person meeting with all your fellow renters and try to sell the owner that you are not as risky as perceived using what you said here and perhaps more. Did you have to give a personal reference or can you voluntarily provide a good one?

In the end you can say "I will gladly pay the advertised deposit and no more" and probably lose it. Or offer to pay the higher deposit with part returned after 3 or 6 months if there are no documented material damages or lease violations. Or pay the requested for a year and then seek lower the next time. It depends how bad you want this place and how easy it would be for the owner to get someone they felt less risk with or willing to pay the higher deposit. There are two sides to the issue. There is risk to worry about. Talk to the owner more and see if you can lessen the concern. You might not be able to but trying has some chance.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-02-2015 at 10:34 AM..

Old 09-02-2015, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 2,269 times
Thank you! I will try this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado