Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 04:56 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
And you wonder why people vote GOP after reading stories like this, this is why
You guys have a politics obsession. You know there is a forum for that condition right?

Old 09-09-2015, 05:06 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,594 times
Mach you seem like such a nice person -maybe you can take the OP in and help him get on his feet?

Old 09-09-2015, 05:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
He was asking about jobs...

Anyways glad this forum crap wasn't around when I was 23 (I had a great time listening to no one).
Ya, he asked about jobs... He also asked about programs to help him, and blamed everyone else for his problem including his state, the residents, his race, his gender, and the liberals. If he had just come here asking about jobs and rent, he'd have gotten a different response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
I know it sounds foolish and selfish, and before you go in complain about me trying to scoff your taxes let me tell you this, I'm coming to this state to make a life for myself that I couldn't back at home next to Boston. Rich yuppies are taking over the economy down here and me and my mom are struggling to get by. I have trouble finding a job due my lack of connections, drivers license, and I have reason to believe that my race and gender play a significant role as well due to the strong liberal movement around here. I'm 23, have no degree and some minor experience in a handful of jobs as well as 2 and a half years experience in the Security business. I've been unemployed for months, bankrupt, in debt, and can't find a job despite all the job applications I've been putting in. I've had it with this crap, I'm sick of getting the short end of the stick in life, its time that I made one for my own. It feels like the state of Massachusetts is walking all over me and pinning me down and that cash is controlling my life. The rude selfish resident's don't help either. I can't even trust a lot of the close people in my life. I heard that Colorado has much better people and an economy, however I was disappointed to find that prices were the same as the Greater Boston area. I really need to know of a program or group home that will take me in and help me get settled in. If there are no "magical" programs like that than keep your rude comments yourself and save the space for someone with a better idea to come on in and help me out or at least give me advice.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:17 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
This forum is a disgrace...

No wonder the kid started off talking crap about this place.

No young person should be turned away from moving within their own country.

Go where you want OP. Don't listen to these weirdos.
He can move anywhere he wants, but the truth is if he comes here, he will likely just become another homeless guy wandering around the city and begging at stoplights. The advice not to come here is pretty good. You're a fan of the river guide option, but he doesn't strike me as remotely responsible enough or having anything resembling a good enough attitude to deal with customers. I know quite a few people who work in the service industry in various roles, many of whom are big pot fans, and none of them come off as a-holes (actually, they're among the nicest people I know).

I'm as liberal as they come, but people like the OP just tick me off. I've worked with kids who were living in grinding poverty - heck a few of them had even been shot by stray bullets. One was shot AS A BABY. I've seen what the truly disadvantaged live like. So when some guy whose greatest ambition is to smoke pot and sit on the couch comes on here after squandering his opportunity at a college education saying his life is messed up by liberals and lack of connections because he's a white male and he needs help from social services, yeah, I'm gonna get cranky.

We can't (and certainly don't have the right) to STOP him from moving here, but there really are no opportunities for someone like him without a serious reboot of how he approaches life. That ain't gonna happen overnight. He's perfectly capable of fixing his life (unlike many). He just wants someone else to do it for him because it's not gonna be easy.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:21 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,712,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
No one here has the power to turn him away, but why should we encourage this person, who clearly is in a situation of his own making, who blames everyone else for his lack of a job and lack of money, to come to our state and live off our taxes? I'm pretty liberal, but his mentality makes me angry. He can move wherever he wants but he shouldn't expect a hand out when he gets there.
Same here--I'm pretty liberal myself, but OP's whole attitude from the first seems to have been that the whole world is against him and that's why he's failing. There are a lot of people out there who are doing everything they can to try and make it, and are running into roadblocks--that happens, and they need help. But OP doesn't seem to care to try for himself first before throwing in the towel and deciding everybody else should take care of his problem. One of the things that stood out to me was the OP said he has no connections in Boston, and that the people closest to him have turned away from him. That strikes me as a time to start doing some self-searching. And if he doesn't have connections where he grew up to try to get on his feet, what are his odds here in Colorado?

This really isn't much different from all the other "I'm moving to Colorado with no job, no savings, no plans, nobody to stay with" threads that we get on a regular basis. Why should OP be handled any differently from all the other folk we've told need to really rethink their 'plan' (or lack of it, rather?)

And quite frankly, I can't help but feel that the OP's main motivation to move out to Colorado is for the legalized marijuana.

He can move out here if he wants, nobody can stop him....but he's not likely to get the free ride that he's looking for.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:13 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,932,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
I know it sounds foolish and selfish, and before you go in complain about me trying to scoff your taxes let me tell you this, I'm coming to this state to make a life for myself that I couldn't back at home next to Boston. Rich yuppies are taking over the economy down here and me and my mom are struggling to get by. I have trouble finding a job due my lack of connections, drivers license, and I have reason to believe that my race and gender play a significant role as well due to the strong liberal movement around here. I'm 23, have no degree and some minor experience in a handful of jobs as well as 2 and a half years experience in the Security business. I've been unemployed for months, bankrupt, in debt, and can't find a job despite all the job applications I've been putting in. I've had it with this crap, I'm sick of getting the short end of the stick in life, its time that I made one for my own. It feels like the state of Massachusetts is walking all over me and pinning me down and that cash is controlling my life. The rude selfish resident's don't help either. I can't even trust a lot of the close people in my life. I heard that Colorado has much better people and an economy, however I was disappointed to find that prices were the same as the Greater Boston area. I really need to know of a program or group home that will take me in and help me get settled in. If there are no "magical" programs like that than keep your rude comments yourself and save the space for someone with a better idea to come on in and help me out or at least give me advice.
Coming in late on the discussion here since I haven't visited the board for a while. In general, I agree with Indigo Cardinal. Colorado is not the state to come to for a "free ride" - not by a long shot. I am so liberal that I have a "Bernie" sticker on my truck and I have a disability and have acted as an advocate for the disabled residents of Colorado. I don't know if OP has a disability and/or has an official diagnosis, but I can say that it is extremely difficult for people who are already living here and have been "officially" diagnosed as disabled by either the SSI or SSDI programs administered by Social Security. Someone who comes out here with vague complaints about the difficulty of finding work back home and wants help with housing, etc. is going to be plain out of luck. Due to lack of funding, the Colorado State Division of Voc-Rehab has had a long wait list. Finally, they have gotten some funding to help Colorado RESIDENTS with disabilities to get the training they need to find some sort of gainful employment. So, OP can cross getting help with employment off his list. He can sign up with Colorado Work Force and compete with everyone else for jobs in this state. If OP doesn't have any special skills or experience I know the local Sonic down here in Cortez is hiring, and they even pay minimum wage.

OP might be able to get on the SNAP program (food stamps), but he will be required to go down to the local Work Force office and sign up to be put on the list for any potential employment. He will be required to do a weekly job search and keep a record of his efforts, since he WILL be called in at some point for Social Services to review his case and prove he's not faking anything. And he will have to do a minimum of 8 hours/week "volunteer" work in the county from which he gets his SNAP card. As for housing? Affordable housing is mostly a dream in Colorado - not a reality. If OP wants to apply for a housing voucher (Section 8), good luck with that one too. Most local Housing Authorities in Colorado have closed even their wait lists. Now and then a HA will briefly open its wait list to people who can prove they've already lived in the area for one or two or more years. Such an applicant can then submit an application for a lottery, and if his name is drawn, he can get on the wait list and sleep in the park for the next five years until there's finally an actual opening for actual housing. It is even more difficult to find a place in a group home. Again, such places are available only to disabled or elderly Colorado RESIDENTS, and the long wait lists would discourage even Methuselah.

So, food, shelter, employment - three strikes and you're out. Out of Colorado, anyhow. And I'm not being mean - just telling the cold hard truth. OP would be better served by staying home and availing himself of whatever services are offered in his own state. My suggestion would be to contact whatever Voc-Rehab services Mass. may have and hopefully get into some sort of community college/job training program. Times can be hard everywhere, and OP will only make his life harder by coming to Colorado under the circumstances described in his post. At the very least, wait until next May or better yet - June and then come out here to be homeless. I know of a good camping spot on the San Miguel River outside of Telluride. DM me, and I'll give you the directions.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:28 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,026,355 times
Funny you posted Rambler I was reading this thread and was Gonna direct the OP to your Alferd Packer thread for advise and Bam here you are.Hope all is well

Old 09-09-2015, 06:48 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Funny you posted Rambler I was reading this thread and was Gonna direct the OP to your Alferd Packer thread for advise and Bam here you are.Hope all is well
Same here. Those living out in the forest may run into the descendants of Alferd Packer; woe unto him / her.

My advice to the OP is to not worry about it, come on out and give it a shot, you're young and should be fairly fearless at that age, especially without any strings attached.

And with that advice, I will close the thread as we've exhausted our advice and venues for success. Let us know how it turns out. I recommend Denver for the jobs that are found in that very large metro area.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado