Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,141 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move out to colorado in a few years and after lots of research I'm curious as to what city would best suit me. I'm a pretty laid back liberal and spiritual girl who loves the outdoors. I love hiking, exploring new beautiful spots, parks, nature trails, TREES, and cute smallish towns with plenty of shops, etc. I'd like to live somewhere where I can see mountains from my window but downtown is not too far away from me either. I'm a vegetarian so any area where it is known to have many vegetarian/vegan restaurants/health food stores would be great!

I (hopefully) plan to start my career and go to grad school for psychology by the time I move out there so please take that into consideration! I consider myself to be a minimalist who loves little bohemian-style apartments or lofts or cozy cabin yet modern-styled homes, not to expensive cost of living as I will not raise a family here and it will more than likely just be my boyfriend and I. Sunny days with no humidity are also my favorite!

I'd love to know which city in colorado you think would best suit me and why also feel free to list what city you live in and why you like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 07:47 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
From the small towns close to downtown request, I'm going to guess you are from the east. Probably New England?

The west wasn't developed that way.

What you want is mostly in the city but some things you want are definitely not in the city going to have to pick what is more important.

The only place outside of Denver, Boulder, Ft Collins and Colorado Springs that would possibly fit is Durango. It's awesome, but isolated.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:42 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
Try Missoula Montana, Colorado is too crowded.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:00 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
You said "I (hopefully) plan to start my career and go to grad school for psychology by the time I move out there so please take that into consideration!"

Did you mean you plan to be done with grad school before moving or that you want to start it in Colorado? I'm unclear.

What type of job are you aiming for or would you accept? That will affect likelihood that a small town is feasible in long run. In most small towns, I'd guess the main or only jobs for a psychologist new to the area would be with the schools, county social services, drug rehab companies or maybe a human resources office. I assume competition will be tough for these and especially for regional hospitals and private practice business and anything near the ski resorts. But it is not my field.

If you want to go to grad school in CO, then probably try to go to CU Boulder or CSU.

If you will already be past that, I'd guess you'd want to consider Durango, Woodland Park, Salida, Glenwood Springs and maybe Evergreen. That is if towns with 10-20,000 people in them and 1-2 times that outside them aren't too big.

For natural food stores and vegetarian or vegan restaurants here is a state list. To get more than 2 of these establishments (with the except of Grand Junction) you have to be on or near the front range or in or fairly near a ski resort. If 0-2 is not enough, you just eliminated many, many towns. http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/colorado/

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-17-2015 at 11:23 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 11:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Nederland (?)
Town of Nederland, Colorado

Old 09-18-2015, 12:12 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
The downtown you want to be near... is that a smallish town downtown or the big city downtown?

Old 09-18-2015, 06:33 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Blanca Colorado

Old 09-18-2015, 06:35 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
If you don't plan to raise a family, you can survive higher costs of living. Being child-free is an enormous weight off your neck. Boulder is an expensive option to fit your stated desires and Fort Collins is a "cheaper than Denver but still expensive compared to the Springs" option. Note that FC has quite a bit of traffic, but in your entire post you didn't mention any concerns about traffic so that may be a non-issue to you.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:04 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,211 times
The grad school bit is unclear... if you plan to start grad school after you move here, apply to the universities first and find a place near the one you go to. That should be your first priority.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:51 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Ouray
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado