Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:39 AM

315 posts, read 1,006,111 times

Advertisements

I am visiting Colorado and want to know one thing. Do hikers carry bear spray with them? My son and his friends never have any safety measurements when they hike. Am I being over cautious or are they not to smart with doing nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 10:26 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
I always do. I also carry a Glock .40. But bear spray is recommended. I'm more concerned with mountain lions here than bears.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:48 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,114 times
All I carry is a Leki pole.

A huge brown bear was sleeping under my deck last month when I came up on him and startled us both. He was so scared he ran up a tree and stayed there for the better part of 8 hours. It's very unlikely you will see any grizzly in Colorado and the larger concern is running into a Bull moose, and/or beer drinking target shooters.

The parks department has some good information on their website.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Living with Bears

Old 10-05-2015, 02:10 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post

A huge brown bear was sleeping under my deck last month when I came up on him and startled us both. He was so scared he ran up a tree and stayed there for the better part of 8 hours. It's very unlikely you will see any grizzly in Colorado and the larger concern is running into a Bull moose, and/or beer drinking target shooters.

I was under the impression that there were no more brown bears in Colorado anymore ? Has this changed ?

I always carry bear spray or a gun, although I live in Alaska.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:14 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I was under the impression that there were no more brown bears in Colorado anymore ? Has this changed ?

Correct. No grizzlies in Colorado. Black bear only.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:26 PM

531 posts, read 1,145,851 times
I've never carried bear spray or a gun while hiking. Never once encountered a bear and I have done quite a lot of hiking.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:53 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post

I didn't mean Brown as in species. Technically it was a Black Bear, but black bears aren't always black in color. This one had a beautiful cinnamon brown coat. This page on the Parks Department website has a good picture of a "brown" black bear.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Camping & Hiking in Bear Country

Old 10-05-2015, 04:00 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post

This. Black bears are not typically aggressive. I hike all over. Wildlife injuries are rare.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:57 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times
In the high country I've encountered more scary people than I have scary bears. But a can of bear spray may not be a bad idea at this time of the year when they are gorging for winter and may not bee too attentive to a human's approach.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:16 PM

665 posts, read 1,294,779 times
Location doesn't really matter, for if you are hiking in or near the mountains there is some chance you could run into a bear.

Do I carry spray? Sometimes but not always. I do when starting before sunrise because it gives me a sense of security. And I do if I'm hiking in a more remote area, again for just that sense of security.

That being said, only bear spotting's we've had were within the city limits of Colorado Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado