Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 11:24 AM

10 posts, read 43,613 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this has been asked a million times but I cannot seem to locate the thread. We were looking to go to Denver/Colorado Springs and maybe into the mountains for thanksgiving week. I've called some places in Breckenridge and Cooper mountain and was told most things to do do not open until December 12. Can you guys give me some ideas of what we can do outdoors in the mountain areas? I've looked on sites like trip advisor but most things listed are for summer or for winter season, which starts Dec. 12. I know what we will be able to do will depend on weather but I need some ideas as to what we can do if it is snowing or not snowing. We have never been to the mountains before so this is a very new experience for us. We are two adults and two kids ages 11 and 8 and we will have a car. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 11:37 AM

5,531 posts, read 12,622,401 times
The weather may be sunny and warm or it may be cold and snowy with icy roads. Are you prepared to drive on snow and ice? November is not the prettiest time to visit Colorado. You'll find mostly brown and probably little snow.

What kinds of activities are you looking for? This is a bad time for outdoor activities because, as you've found, it's shoulder season. A couple of things that I could think of are the Royal Gorge Bridge and Train, west of Canon City (which is west of Colorado Springs) or the Georgetown Loop Railroad near Georgetown. Another couple of places outside Colorado Springs are the Garden of the Gods and the North Pole.

You could take the Amtrak to Glenwood Springs and enjoy the hot springs pool. That way you could see mountain scenery without having to drive.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:44 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,362,124 times
If you checked with Breck and Copper, then is skiing in your plans? If so, Loveland and Arapahoe Basin will be open with a run or two each. Snowfall has not been accumulating rapidly this fall so there won't be as many places open that week as we may have normally had. DoH does have a very valid question regarding your preparedness of driving in adverse conditions. If you have never driven in snow and ice, I wouldn't recommend making the trek up I70 or over Hoosier Pass via Hiway 9 as your initial experience in snowy weather driving. If weather is good and you decide to make this trip, this will take you 2-3 hours up, give you 3-4 hours there, then 2-3 hours back, depending on traffic load, so it is easily a full day trip.

To have a mountain experience, you don't necessarily need to get way up in to them. Outside of Denver you can visit Golden, Central City, and Morrison, maybe stop by Red Rocks and see how climbing a few hundreds stairs at altitude whips your behind. Outside of COS you have Manitou, Green Mtn Falls and the mentioned North Pole, although your kids may be on the cusp of being too old to enjoy that. Garden of the Gods and Old Colorado City within the city are options, as is a visit to the Air Force Academy too. The Cheyenne Mtn zoo outside of Cos is also very unique as it is carved into the side of Cheyenne Mt and has pretty spectacular views of the plains. There also is the drive down highway 115 from Cos to Canon City and the Royal Gorge. This is an easy mountain trip if weather is nice.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:47 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,505,074 times
Go ski at Arapahoe Basin or Loveland

Old 10-30-2015, 12:48 PM

3,115 posts, read 5,024,166 times
Ski resorts are starting to open now. See this article for time expectations as some have already opened.
Loveland, A-Basin kick off Colorado's ski season on Thursday - The Denver Post

Dreaming of Hawaii has a good suggestion of taking Amtrak to Glenwood Springs if you don't want to ski.

There is also Winter on the Mountain at their adventure park in Glenwood Springs.
Winter on the Mountain at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park

Old 10-30-2015, 01:49 PM

914 posts, read 2,197,488 times
Pretty much anything you want to see in the summer in Denver is available in November as well: the Mint, Zoo, museums, even the Botanical Garden. The same is largely true in Colorado Springs as well. You can see Manitou Springs, Old Colorado City, Garden of the Gods, take the cog railway up Pikes Peak, or probably drive up (depending upon conditions). Most of the scenic drives will still be available, and still scenic. There will be plenty of hiking trails open, some even at higher elevations - but check both local conditions and weather carefully.

Layer your clothing, and keep hydrated. Have a nice visit!

Old 10-30-2015, 06:59 PM

10 posts, read 43,613 times
Thanks everyone for all of your great suggestions. There seems to be a lot to do. Now to narrow them down.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:02 PM

31 posts, read 29,908 times
Default Make Your Own Fun

My main (interest) is flyfishing but during winter even if not Ski Bum Colorado is still fun place to recreate.We offroad and cruise mountain trails,ect. Scenery is just as spectacular in winter . We were at cabin last weekend and took "shortcut" over Boreas Pass and dropped down into Breckenridge .Great day.
Attached Thumbnails
Mountains in November-img_9687.jpg   Mountains in November-img_9688.jpg   Mountains in November-img_4243-2-.jpg  

Old 11-07-2015, 02:06 AM

8 posts, read 12,460 times
Vail just got a foot of snow although, ski season doesn't open here until November 20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado