Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,919 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
My husband and I are planning our Honeymoon for late spring/early summer 2016 in Colorado but are having a difficult time choosing a city. Hopefully y'all can help.
We're not "resort" type people so we don't care too much about our lodging as we can find something anywhere.
What we are looking for are sights and tastes. We love to take short day hikes, fish, relax and of course, eat and drink.
We definitely are looking for a smaller town, either in/near mountains or near a river/lake that we can enjoy some night life but also want to experience nature's beauty such as wildlife, caves, waterfalls and what-not.
We love local history and we may want to partake in some fun activities/excursions/touristy crap if not to pricey.

Last edited by BobbiJo77; 12-02-2015 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: typing error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 11:45 AM

350 posts, read 1,090,373 times
Durango?

Old 12-02-2015, 11:52 AM

134 posts, read 192,279 times
I was going to suggest SW CO as well. My wife and I spent phase 2 of our Honeymoon with the Full Size Jeep Invasion (based out of Ouray) in 2006. We had a great time and made a lot of friends there and have been back many times.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:06 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
OURAY! Ouray, Colorado

Old 12-02-2015, 01:43 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Estes Park or Manitou Springs

Old 12-02-2015, 01:57 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Perhaps a town with hot springs; we've a thread on that, easy to find with the search function.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:18 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
Caves, hikes, eat and drink, fishing, waterfalls - the first place that comes to mind is Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

In Colorado I second the idea of Ouray, Durango, or Southwest Colorado generally. My next choice would be Buena Vista, although "night life" might be limited.

Question for other forum members: Should the OP consider any of the ski resort towns? I do not think I have ever spent any time at any of them that time of year.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:57 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Question for other forum members: Should the OP consider any of the ski resort towns? I do not think I have ever spent any time at any of them that time of year.
Late spring isn't the best time to visit the ski resort towns. Once ski season is over many restaurants and shops close their doors so the owners and employees can go on vacation. It's called "mud season" -- many activities (hiking, biking, etc.) aren't really possible yet due to snow/mud on trails.
One good thing about that timeframe is that there are no crowds and great lodging deals can be found.
Resort towns start gearing up for summer Memorial Day weekend.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Estes Park, (worked for us spring of 1980. still working several times / yr when we return to CO for visits / more fun)

Get a cabin near RMNP (and near a rippling brook) HIGH above the creek!, but within ear shot. Cook some GREAT meals for spouse!!! Not too fancy, but unique and fun. (our~ 1930's cabin had a loft, and couple extra rooms + huge fireplace. Good for cold nights and cooking indoors.

Read some of the early history books (Harold Dunning books come to mind) He was a family friend and very accurate / fun historian.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...rold%20Dunning
Over Hill and Vale: In the Evening Shadows of Colorado's Longs Peak, Volume II... (i have them all and enjoy them very much)

Spend some time at the Stanley Hotel (previously watch some movies that were filmed there (but don't give away the surprise location!!! Always best to surprise and seek adventure on Honeymoon, the 'party' is over all too soon)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stanley_Hotel

Have a pizza at Bob and Tony's (since 1957)

Take a moonlight walk around some of the lakes in RMNP.

WATCH out for ELK (on Main street, on your lawn / golf course / hospital parking lot...)

If not Estes, I would probably do the Black Hills (more events / stuff to do than Durango / Buena Vista). Plenty of time to come back there for anniversaries / camping / hiking trips. We did 29th anniversary here... we were the only guests Had lodge, pool, ranch, to ourselves.
Waunita Hot Springs Ranch

Anniversary #3 was in Winter Park, where we had the entire lodge to ourselves. Owner just said... "pick a room and leave a note as to where you chose." Lobby, lounge, spa... is all yours. (He left for the night.)

Since we like Hot Springs, we have done Steamboat and Thermopolis many times. (And we are signed up already for WY 'Pioneer Home' for our future 'nursing home yrs'!!!) Elderly Care center in the middle of Hot Springs State Park!!

Caving... Colorado is not great. SD has some (not great, but better than CO)

Oregon Caves is a good spot (with lodge), and you can venture to Crater Lake and lava caves (Northern CA).

Also Lava caves in WA near Rainier and St Helens (good mtn spots for honeymoon) (eastern USA caves are more spectacular and a LOT more busy! / commercialized)

Best most memorable mtn trip was Tetons, canoeing Snake River from Jackson Dam to Jackson Hole. (raft / kayak all the way to ID if you have a long weekend) Don't miss this adventure. go to National Parks VERY early AM and at dusk for best wildlife. Plenty of time for napping while the families are venturing out.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-02-2015 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-02-2015, 03:35 PM

131 posts, read 156,395 times
Glenwood Springs. Has it all. Ouray's gorgeous, but that time of year not much to do, still snowy. GS has everything you'd want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado