Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 06:26 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,350,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I've heard the same story over the years too...
Exactly. Its a suburb of Pueblo and will always be one. If someone does not like Pueblo they should not live in Pueblo West. A good example would be if I moved to say Manitou Springs even though everyone knows I hate Colorado Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 07:10 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,919,914 times
I wonder if there is any interest in incorporating Pueblo West into a city. Seems a vote to incorporate along with a name change for the sake of identity is reasonable enough. There's a lot of obligations that come with incorporating into a city, obligations a CDP doesn't necessarily have. Police and fire protection come to mind. But even some CDPs have these services. Does Pueblo West? What are the advantages of them incorporating?

Old 01-05-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I wonder if there is any interest in incorporating Pueblo West into a city. Seems a vote to incorporate along with a name change for the sake of identity is reasonable enough. There's a lot of obligations that come with incorporating into a city, obligations a CDP doesn't necessarily have. Police and fire protection come to mind. But even some CDPs have these services. Does Pueblo West? What are the advantages of them incorporating?
They talk about it over the years but my understanding is cost is what is keeping them from doing it.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:59 AM

7,120 posts, read 9,185,840 times
What is the population of Pueblo West?

Old 01-06-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
What is the population of Pueblo West?
Probably about 35,000.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:08 AM

17,874 posts, read 27,262,848 times
Probably that at least. Could be 40k or more. Nobody seems to really know. Area-wise, it doubles Pueblo.

It would be a pita, but Pueblo West could incorporate. I'd love to stop paying my vehicle registration tags fee to Gilbert Ortiz or whomever. I don't pay a sewer fee because I'm on a septic tank system with leach lines on 1+ acres of land. I don't pay Excel for Natural Gas, so it only cost 200.00 to hook up and get rid of that nasty 500 lb yard bomb some call a propane tank. The bottom line is, we in Pueblo West pay our bills and pay our taxes.

But do we also support Pueblo? Heck ya we do. Does the Mesa support Pueblo? How about Colorado City, Rye and Beulah? We support Pueblo every day. Some folks have the fortune to live in Pueblo West and work there too. Some live here but work in Pueblo, or Fremont County at the Prisons, or in CoSprings, or belong to Fountain Fort Carson. Conversely, some folks can live in Pueblo and head on out to Pueblo West or the County to work.

Even if P-dub changes its name, when asked, "Where's that?" We'll say, "Oh, over by Pleblo."

We shop for cars at Southwest Motors, and Spradleys and Local Motors and Fortinos and such. We go to movies at Tinsletown and buy clothes in Pueblo, go Bowling there, frequent the many mom n pop restaurants there... buy auto parts at the Car Quest on Santa Fe and 12th or R&L, go to the Riverwalk and the Historic Union Avenue, the State Fair and Chiles and Frijoles Festivals, etc.

But, some of us had a dream of having a new home built and an equestrian friendly environment and a place by the Rez and an easy shot to the CoSprings Airport and starry night skies with wide open spaces and good schools and less blight and...

I could keep adding to the list, but the bottom line seems to be this, Pueblo West is working. We need more industry and jobs out here. But, join the club, right?

Mesa West could be another name. The Pueblo Mesa is out in the County and exemp from Pueblo property and sales taxes. They're in the same boat. They just didn't explode like Pueblo West did.

Why did Pueblo West explode in the first place? I'll tell you why. It is a huge exodus away from Pueblo. People from Pueblo and elsewhere in Pueblo County moved out there/here.

We could call it Exodus... Movement of the Peoples...

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-06-2016 at 09:03 AM..

Old 01-06-2016, 06:44 PM

^

Part of the problem Pueblo West has is a tax base as most of the taxes come from residential with very little commercial for a city of its size.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:17 AM

63 posts, read 80,074 times
I could care less but cant really blame them. Regardless of what you think of pueblo it seems to get a bad rap rather often. Why not disassociate. Hopefully they do not attempt to use retail cannabis as a cornerstone for tax revenue because I believe that bubble will bust in due time.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Probably that at least. Could be 40k or more. Nobody seems to really know. Area-wise, it doubles Pueblo.
For an unincorporated community, or "census designated place" such as Pueblo West, the Census Bureau does not conduct annual estimates. They only publish data with the 10 year census. The 2000 count for Pueblo West was 16,899 and the 2010 count 29,637. Suffice to say, given Pueblo county in that same time went from 141,000 to 159,000, the bulk of growth is there in Pueblo West. That Pueblo County's growth estimates since 2010 seem to have really slowed to a low crawl suggests to me Pueblo West's have as well.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:25 AM

17,874 posts, read 27,262,848 times
I'd say it went negative from about 2008/2009, but has definitely picked up and recouped its losses from about 2010/2011 on.

This is based on my personal experiences of driving to and fro and seeing many foreclosed homes open back up and thankfully get restored. New builds are at a stand still but buying and selling looks like its on the mend.

The growth in the rest of the county, Mesa, Cc/Rye/Beulah is minimal as usual. All of the growth has been happening in PDub, north side of Pueblo, south side a bit, down town a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado