Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 06:06 PM

9 posts, read 7,726 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm hoping all you Coloradans can help me. All my life I've dreamed of living in Colorado. This dream was prompted by short visits to Telluride, Vale and a short stint of a week in Colorado Springs. I'm looking at moving to Colorado and I've narrowed it down to the east side of the Rockies. I'm specifically looking at Colorado Springs and Fort Collins due to career opportunities that are available to me. I might even consider Denver however that would require some time to get there due to availability of opportunities with current employer.

A little about me

I'm a male, 45, single, no kids, heterosexual, humanist. Regardless of city I choose, my income level will be around 75-100k/yr. Immediately I plan to rent, eventually buy a house. I will be getting getting a dog; likely a golden retriever or german short hair. I'm an avid mountain biker...or well I imagine myself to be. I am into hunting, mostly small game, maybe some day larger game. I'm not a hard core hunter although I've dabbled. I love camping, hiking, fishing and offroading. I am a highly trained responsible gun owner but NOT a republican. I enjoy volunteering; maybe even fire fighting. I'm in good physical shape; although 40s are beginning to slow me down. I can handle cold but don't particularly enjoy it; would rather have moderate temperatures. I do suffer at times from typical allergies (i.e,. hayfever) although less as I get older for some reason. I'm not a big bar scene type, I drink but rarely. I'm a bit of a country boy that grew up in a big city. I'm slowly picking up a new hobby of motorcycle riding (right now a cruiser style bike this coming spring picking up a sport tour style)

What I would like

Friendly atmosphere with open minded people. Available dating scene; such as availability to social mixers, online dating, clubs (hiking and biking, etc). I would prefer a location with easy weekend access to the mountains, trails, camping and fishing. I'd love variations in weather, hard thunder storms, mild snow storms, hot summers, cool falls and crisp springs. Access to good roads for recreational motorcycle riding. on road and off-road. Access to Business Networking groups would be ideal however not absolutely necessary. Initially, availability of apartments w/garages. Good gyms and local parks for good day trips and exercise.

Conclusion

Now, I realize I just wrote a book, but please, if you suffered through reading this and are from Colorado and know these areas offer your perspective on which of these cities I should look to for my next home.

Thank You in advance for any direction you can provide, greatly appreciated.

L00kingF0rH0ome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 08:49 AM

371 posts, read 362,070 times
You'd fit the common demographic just fine. Nothing in your profile conflicts with the mainstream realities here.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:11 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Yep. Get out here. You'll do fine. Colorado Springs might not be the best fit for you though. I would target Fort Collins, but look to move closer to Denver eventually. Frankly, from your description of yourself, I was picturing Evergreen as the ideal area.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:08 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Look into Loveland.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:42 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Loveland is nice as is Ft. Collins. Sounds like OP would be happy in either city.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:05 AM

Thanks so much for your input.

I'll definitely look into Loveland.

Good to know either city/location will suit me. Hopefully in short order I can build some new friendships and start to build what I hope will be a long term home.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:37 PM

139 posts, read 221,735 times
Loveland is nice. Have you considered Boulder at all? Really fits your criteria. Avoid Greeley or pretty much anywhere east of Denver, Ft Collins, Colorado Springs. VERY REPUBLICAN...(not a bad thing in my opinion. I'm Republican.)

Old 01-12-2016, 04:41 PM

Thanks goldenretriever1234, I'll look at those locations as well. I don't want the commute to be too far for work as I'll be traveling all around one of those two cities originally mentioned. I'm assuming north from Fort Collins and South from CO Springs.

BTW, I'm not a republic or a democratic, I'm an independent. IMO, both sides have become too polarized and the solutions are somewhere in the middle unfortunately I don't think we'll see many solutions until the aforementioned situation gets straightened out. Probably looking at 20-30 years before that happens. That's assuming we don't tear ourselves apart before that

Old 01-12-2016, 11:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00kingF0rH0me View Post
Thanks goldenretriever1234, I'll look at those locations as well. I don't want the commute to be too far for work as I'll be traveling all around one of those two cities originally mentioned. I'm assuming north from Fort Collins and South from CO Springs.

BTW, I'm not a republic or a democratic, I'm an independent. IMO, both sides have become too polarized and the solutions are somewhere in the middle unfortunately I don't think we'll see many solutions until the aforementioned situation gets straightened out. Probably looking at 20-30 years before that happens. That's assuming we don't tear ourselves apart before that
You'll have lots of company here. Colorado's voters are split pretty evenly; approx 1/3 D, 1/3 R, 1/3 I, with a slight edge, I believe to the Rs.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:18 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,233 times
I agree, Loveland/Ft Collins area would probably be a good fit. I live in the Loveland/Longmont/Lyons area. A lot of mixed social types, and lifestyles. Come on out and visit. I'll be happy to give ya the nickel tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado