Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 11:50 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times

Advertisements

I have had a few friends relocate. One to Boulder, another close to Colorado Springs. They tell me it is great. What are your opinions? I am curious. I'm an avid skier, so of course I always daydream about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 12:58 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I have had a few friends relocate. One to Boulder, another close to Colorado Springs. They tell me it is great. What are your opinions? I am curious. I'm an avid skier, so of course I always daydream about it
It's alright. I live in Denver and like it a lot, but I prefer to be in a more urban environment. I do like Boulder as well, but you could't pay me to live in the Springs, although it's a beautiful area at the base of Pikes Peak. Boulder and Denver are just more my personal style

Old 01-14-2016, 01:23 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,825 times
You will get dozens of opinions.
I moved here almost 34 years ago and I could not live anywhere else. When I moved here I did not ski, and didn't for the first 18 years. Now I ski every chance I get (at least once a week).

Old 01-14-2016, 04:11 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
I moved here almost 34 years ago and I could not live anywhere else.
Same here, but only 18 instead of your 34. It's all about your personal taste. Some folks wouldn't be caught dead outside of NY, San Fran, LA, or Boston. That's fine. You either find a way to pay the vast cost of real-estate in those places or you live in a garage or whatever. Despite what some folks on these forums would have you believe, Colorado has a truly superb balance of urban, suburban, rural, and outdoor recreational options. To me, it's like the Goldilocks porridge that's "just right." Not the heinously overpriced congested coastal cities. Not the backwards rural wastelands where there hasn't been a job created since 1879. You've got a real economy here. Doctors can practice in their sub-specialties. There are CPA firms, local businesses, some national businesses, entrepreneurs aplenty. Among the Front Range cities, Boulder and Colorado Springs offer amazing close access to foothills and bigger mountains. Denver is obviously Denver. Housing is still reasonably accessible, less so in Boulder and Denver. Not all of the mountain towns have yet been ruined by hedge-fund billionaires. There's still a few "real" places out there that are hugely fun and vibrant. It's just a really great place to live. If you're the type to embrace the positives and not expect it to be something it isn't.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:43 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It's alright. I live in Denver and like it a lot, but I prefer to be in a more urban environment. I do like Boulder as well, but you could't pay me to live in the Springs, although it's a beautiful area at the base of Pikes Peak. Boulder and Denver are just more my personal style
What do you mean by "a more urban environment" than Denver?

Old 01-14-2016, 06:09 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
I think a lot of places get bad reps that aren't necessarily deserved - the Springs, Greeley, Pueblo, etc. There are plenty of people in each of those cities who love where they live. I am a native Coloradan so it is hard for me to offer perspective for comparison - I've been to other places but never for more than a few months. I love it here. Sometimes I wish it were wetter or warmer or greener or less hot on certain days in summer and so on but that's just life on planet Earth - a little variety makes you appreciate the things you like that much more.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:50 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
I am a homer but I live in Pueblo and LOVE it! Best city and state in the nation in my opinion. I love the weather, how progressive it is from weed to gay rights, the mountains, sports from colleges like CSU Pueblo to the Broncos, performing arts centers, restaurants, fairs and medical centers plus more things I can't think of.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:51 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I moved here from Jersey. I struggled with depression and anxiety for years before I moved here, and then I reached a level of happiness that I felt was the maximum I could reach in my home state. I just wanted a less-crowded area, really, plus an environment that was urban but not the depressing urban scenes I grew up next to. So I moved here, and reached a level of happiness that I had not realized I could achieve without becoming fabulously wealthy or something.

I left behind a lot of loved ones in Jersey. I had a circle of some of the best friends a person could ever hope to have. But I stay in touch and those friendships are intact, and now I've got a whole bunch of new and great friendships that are just as important to me.

Come out here for a vacation and see what you think - I decided to move here after a 5-day visit; I knew two people in the entire state. However, in my personal opinion, I would not move here because you are unhappy. I would make the choice to move to another state from a position of strength. Your problems will just follow you otherwise. I dealt with my depression and anxiety and had a clear view of what I wanted from my move. I have not regretted it for a second. And I don't even ski or snowboard

Old 01-15-2016, 10:21 AM

371 posts, read 362,847 times
I came here by accident almost 40 years ago and stayed for the skiing, And that's still great, if you can make a lot of money in a job that allows you to take some weekdays off. This Wednesday, Copper Mountain was like a personal private resort. We were usually alone on the trails, with folks riding single and double on the quad lifts and zero traffic driving home. No weekend day will ever resemble that, however. And don't forget to check the prices. I paid $72, but that was on a 2-for-1 deal. The list price is now $144. Nobody pays that, but you should plan for $100 per day, or set aside $500 or more for a season pass. That, plus advancing age, may be why I don't know many Coloradans who ski anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado