Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 08:38 PM

285 posts, read 377,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingto... View Post
A small town is not ideal, but neither is "the big city". I know there's a happy medium somewhere, so I'll say more than 30kish but not a 300k kind of place . Having access to said stores (which isn't a make or break, just preferred) is all I need. I drive 30/45 minutes to reach them where I am now. My husband has a degree in a profession that it literally everywhere. Commuting isn't ideal considering he has a 45 min+ one way now. I guess we're considered upper middle class, so an area too uppity wouldn't fit the bill.
I have not looked into Chico, CA, but I've actually been considering Bend, OR. It sounds like the regular overcast might get to us there though. Littleton looks nice, I'll have to look into that further.
I responded to another post of yours about Bend and Oregon in general, as for Chico, California - FORGET IT if you have kids ! That is Meth Central along with nearby Redding and Oroville ! Bend has a huge drug problem but Chico is 100X worse ! And, the gangs, murders, rapes, it's horrible.

Also, you mention politics. While Corvallis is Very Liberal, Bend and all of Eastern Oregon are Very Conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 08:24 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
I responded to another post of yours about Bend and Oregon in general, as for Chico, California - FORGET IT if you have kids ! That is Meth Central along with nearby Redding and Oroville ! Bend has a huge drug problem but Chico is 100X worse ! And, the gangs, murders, rapes, it's horrible.

Also, you mention politics. While Corvallis is Very Liberal, Bend and all of Eastern Oregon are Very Conservative.
Bend is very conservative? I'd call it very purple. It's a very mixed city. A liberal would hardly feel out of place there.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:01 PM

285 posts, read 377,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Bend is very conservative? I'd call it very purple. It's a very mixed city. A liberal would hardly feel out of place there.
You're right, they would not feel out of place, but it's definitely NOT Ashland or Corvallis or Portland ......

Outside of Bend? VERY VERY VERY conservative - Klamath Falls, Redmond, Madras, The Dalles, Pendleton, Burns, etc. etc. etc.

Native Bendites don't want the Portlandites moving over and changing their politics and telling them what to do with their land.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:31 PM

19 posts, read 41,807 times
I think after much thought, Oregon is out. There's quite a few places in Colorado that look appealing and have a very promising job market. I kept looking at Colorado Springs, but the safety is concerning me. Along with the schools. A safe area with good schools do not seem to come hand and hand for some reason. The list of Superfund sites is keeping me from heading to Denver or Boulder, even though everything else about it seems pretty good. It's kinda hard to willingly move somewhere with so many listed existing contaminants. Is there anywhere that is "clean" that has low crime and good schools? A town with more than 3 people is preferred. Hah, that seems to be the only places that meet that particular requirement!

Old 05-13-2016, 03:38 PM

Budget?

Old 05-13-2016, 03:46 PM

19 posts, read 41,807 times
Don't worry about the budget. I want to know what the "best" is.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingto... View Post
Don't worry about the budget. I want to know what the "best" is.
Aspen.

Seriously though, maybe Durango.

Superfund sites are keeping you out of Denver though? That's strange. There are plenty of parts of Denver that are not anywhere near superfund sites.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:34 PM

286 posts, read 351,354 times
Southern and eastern suburbs of Denver are pretty darn safe with pretty darn good schools.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:21 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Well, moving to......, if you are worried about contaminants, then pretty much nowhere in Colorado will be safe for you.

One Superfund site in Boulder County (Captain Jack Mill) is not near the City of Boulder but up in the foothills. It was an old site for mining gold and silver, and there are old mining sites all over the state. The other site (Marshall Landfill) is an old municipal landfill, which can be found in many areas around the state. I assume that since you since you ruled out Denver and Boulder due to Superfund sites, that you are particularly sensitive. I've never hear any talk from anyone about suffering from contaminants from either of these sites in Boulder County.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philberf View Post
Southern and eastern suburbs of Denver are pretty darn safe with pretty darn good schools.
OP won't discuss budget, but Denver and its suburbs are so much more expensive than anything comparable in STL or KC. It's also apparently one big superfund site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado