Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2016, 11:24 AM

28 posts, read 47,043 times
Glad to see cooler, logical heads prevailing in this thread. Hopefully this will be reflected at the polls and this disaster of a "feel good" law will crash and burn.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:55 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Resurrecting this thread out of curiosity.

Do you think this will pass?

Is there a limitation on when you'd be able to access this system? The second you get Colorado drivers license, are you eligible? I'm worried that other Americans may move to CO while they are sick, keep a residence somewhere else saying they were on "vacation" demand care then return to wherever state they come from, and didn't contribute in taxes? They have such limitations on the PFD in Alaska, and I think it would be best for Colorado to have such a limitation on the books until every other state also had single-payer.

Also please do not mass migrate to Arizona. I'm done with old selfish people repressing the government against young people in Arizona, which is what retirees do constantly here.
I think it may pass: Newly released poll results show informed millennials leading a winning majority in support of Amendment 69 - ColoradoCare

I'm voting "no". Ran a calculator on ColoradoCare.org again: between my husband and I we are going to lose 11k. And I have no doubt access to care will be worse than what we get now. I think it's ok to vote for your interests, once in a while.

Last edited by OhioToCO; 08-27-2016 at 01:04 PM..

Old 08-27-2016, 01:12 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
I think it may pass: Newly released poll results show informed millennials leading a winning majority in support of Amendment 69 - ColoradoCare

I'm voting "no". Ran a calculator on ColoradoCare.org again: between my husband and I we are going to lose 11k. And I have no doubt access to care will be worse than what we get now. I think it's ok to vote for your interests, once in a while.
That poll was from May. I haven't seen anything more current to know how people are thinking now

Old 08-27-2016, 06:15 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
That poll was from May. I haven't seen anything more current to know how people are thinking now
I agree there should be an updated poll since that one was from almost three months ago. Isn't this going to be vote on in November? Or am I incorrect?

It's nice that the website has a calculator, though.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:24 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Leftists never understand that their actions of government involvement always have an opposite reaction.
A truer statement has never been spoken! The law of unintended consequences.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:27 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The left in Colorado has been trying to kill off the rural industries in the state. It is scary that people are willing to vote away their freedom and industry. Shut this down, shut that down, eventually everyone productive will be gone.
"Given its irrational goals, coercive methods and historical failures, and given its perverse effects on character development, there can be no question of the radical agenda's madness. Only an irrational agenda would advocate a systematic destruction of the foundations on which ordered liberty depends. Only an irrational man would want the state to run his life for him rather than create secure conditions in which he can run his own life. Only an irrational agenda would deliberately undermine the citizen’s growth to competence by having the state adopt him. Only irrational thinking would trade individual liberty for government coercion, sacrificing the pride of self-reliance for welfare dependency. Only a madman would look at a community of free people cooperating by choice and see a society of victims exploited by villains. "[From The Liberal Mind; The Psychological Causes of Political Madness by Lyle H. Rossiter, Jr., MD]

Old 08-29-2016, 11:23 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Not a poll but Colorado Care proponent Irene Aguilar feels prospects are slim it will pass

Quote:
Aguilar admits that Amendment 69’s chances of passing grew even slimmer last week when prominent Democrats and even the liberal group ProgressNow Colorado joined corporate interests in opposing the measure.
Sen. Irene Aguilar discusses ColoradoCare’s terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad week | The Colorado Independent

Old 08-30-2016, 07:42 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
As someone who has studied health policy and worked in healthcare for a long time... It seems untenable to institute single-payer in one small area (Colorado). You cannot just end a national $100 billion industry, the insurance business, in one fell swoop without enormous disruption and job loss.

I would happily pay more tax and have my insurance payments go to a system of simple single-payer coverage, but not on such a small scale.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
As someone who has studied health policy and worked in healthcare for a long time... It seems untenable to institute single-payer in one small area (Colorado). You cannot just end a national $100 billion industry, the insurance business, in one fell swoop without enormous disruption and job loss.

I would happily pay more tax and have my insurance payments go to a system of simple single-payer coverage, but not on such a small scale.
As another long-time health care worker, I agree. I also think this plan is promising the stars and moon, has way too much faith in the idea that there is so much "waste, fraud and abuse" in the current system that the new system will get rid of, and a few other things as well. I did attend a talk by Amendment 69 supporters.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:30 AM

92 posts, read 98,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Amendment 71 is Initiative and Referendum reform, and IMHO it's badly needed. Currently people wishing to amend the state constitution only need to get signatures from a percentage of the registered voters statewide. (The magic number is roughly 98,000).

Since they can get their signatures from anywhere they camp out at stores along the Front Range and more or less ignore the rural counties completely.

Amendment 71 would change that by requiring petitioners to gather signatures from 2% of the registered voters of each state senate district. If it doesn't have broad support statewide it won't make it on the ballot, period.

Amendment 71 also changes the number of votes required to pass a ballot initiative. Right now the threshold is 50% + 1 vote. Amendment 71 would up it to 55%.

I will be voting YES on this because I'm sick and tired of partisan hacks pulling an end-around to enact laws they know would have absolutely no chance of passing legislative muster.
Amendment 71 is utter BS. Why should some small rural jurisdiction be able to hold the entire state hostage? They get their vote if it makes it onto the ballot. All this really does is make it cost more $$$ to get anything on the ballot, which makes it so corporate and big money backing is necessary to get 'citizen' initiatives passed.

I would vote for a higher percentage of the population needing to vote 'Yes' before something goes into the constitution, but letting rural jurisdictions block it from even going to a vote is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado