Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 01:49 PM

17 posts, read 14,422 times

Advertisements

I am hoping for some advice. I am a 27 year old female that currently lives in New Jersey. Long story short come September I am making a change in my life and I want to move to Colorado by myself. I would like anyone's advice from anyone who did a similar situation. If Colorado is really that expensive or if it less expensive then New Jersey. I ran reports and it says Jersey is more expensive then Colorado but as the same time I am not sure. I also wondered if anyone has done or know anyone who has done the work for the resorts and employee housing in Aspen, Boulder, ect. I think that might be a good way to start for 6 months since I won't know anyone or have a job set up. I do not have a specific location where I would want to live but out in the mountains sounds good to me. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 01:57 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
You'll learn quite a bit if you use our search tool and search on ski bum as those couple of threads tell much about working and living up in the high country ski resorts like Aspen and Vail where housing pricey and crowded. Boulder and Denver has plenty of work in the hospitality industry and it's not seasonal like skiing.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:07 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougoleahcoco View Post
I am hoping for some advice. I am a 27 year old female that currently lives in New Jersey. Long story short come September I am making a change in my life and I want to move to Colorado by myself. I would like anyone's advice from anyone who did a similar situation. If Colorado is really that expensive or if it less expensive then New Jersey. I ran reports and it says Jersey is more expensive then Colorado but as the same time I am not sure. I also wondered if anyone has done or know anyone who has done the work for the resorts and employee housing in Aspen, Boulder, ect. I think that might be a good way to start for 6 months since I won't know anyone or have a job set up. I do not have a specific location where I would want to live but out in the mountains sounds good to me. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you
What part of Jersey are you from? I found Denver cheaper - I moved here from outside Trenton (not IN Trenton, which would have been cheaper, prolly), but I also moved to a part of Denver some considered to be "transitional." (Which is a joke - really a pretty decent neighborhood despite the crackhouse, which mostly served as entertainment value.)

What kind of work are you doing now? What's your educational background?

Old 04-20-2016, 04:37 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
OP, it sounds like you don't know much about Colorado. Referring to Aspen and Boulder as similar "resorts"? You want to live "out in the mountains"?

I suggest that you spend a couple of hours reading through the many threads here discussing life in Colorado, comparing different COLs, living in mountain towns, etc. etc. etc. Lots of people on this forum are from the east coast. Also, think about (1) why Colorado? (2) what is the reason for your change in your life (3) what kind of work will you be looking for? (4) how much money do you have saved up?

The two places you mentioned are probably the two most expensive places to live in Colorado.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:03 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Employee housing in the resort areas is not something you are going to enjoy unless you are very immature for your age. It really is set up for late teen early 20's out to be a ski bum for a season or doing an internship/externship or a J1.

As asked by some others, what are your skills/education/goals. We can help you much more if you give us some additional details.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:21 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Lot of jobs in Summit County. Could try that for 6 months or a year. Then stay or move further into mountains or back to the cities of the front range, depending on how you react to the initial experience.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
What part of Jersey are you from? I found Denver cheaper - I moved here from outside Trenton (not IN Trenton, which would have been cheaper, prolly), but I also moved to a part of Denver some considered to be "transitional." (Which is a joke - really a pretty decent neighborhood despite the crackhouse, which mostly served as entertainment value.)

What kind of work are you doing now? What's your educational background?

Oh really! I live in Belmar, NJ so just like 45 minutes east of you. Yeah there are bad areas everywhere you go right. My educational background is I have two associate degrees one in Business Management and one in Graphic Design. I currently work for a Travel Agency so I do have a lot of experience with working with resorts. Other then that all my other jobs have been reception in multiple fields. So an office assistant position or something like that I would be good at. I am also really good at computers, hence the graphic design aspect. Did you prefer Colorado over Jersey?

Old 04-21-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
OP, it sounds like you don't know much about Colorado. Referring to Aspen and Boulder as similar "resorts"? You want to live "out in the mountains"?

I suggest that you spend a couple of hours reading through the many threads here discussing life in Colorado, comparing different COLs, living in mountain towns, etc. etc. etc. Lots of people on this forum are from the east coast. Also, think about (1) why Colorado? (2) what is the reason for your change in your life (3) what kind of work will you be looking for? (4) how much money do you have saved up?

The two places you mentioned are probably the two most expensive places to live in Colorado.

Honestly, I know nothing about it. I am scheduled to visit in June to scope things out. This is a recent idea I have come across and I know there is a ton to learn and it is a defiantly a huge state. I know this sounds like a completely cliché I want to change my life and move to the other side of the country spiel. But honestly, I just feel like I have done the east coast my whole life and I am ready for a chance. I have been drawn to Colorado. I have traveled pretty much all over the country. I just think that Colorado is beautiful and I want to focus on where I would the next chapter of my life to be. So the reason for my change in life is growth. I am ready to do this on my own and hopefully succeed. I have a degree in Business Management and Graphic Design. I currently work for a travel agency so I have experience working with resorts. I also have over ten years of reception skills so I could always do office work. I am open to all kinds of jobs. I don't plan to move til October when my lease is up here but I won't go unless I have 5000 put away at least.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Lot of jobs in Summit County. Could try that for 6 months or a year. Then stay or move further into mountains or back to the cities of the front range, depending on how you react to the initial experience.
Thanks for your reply. I will start researching Summit County. As long as I am in okay safe area that's all that matters. I don't mind anything else.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Employee housing in the resort areas is not something you are going to enjoy unless you are very immature for your age. It really is set up for late teen early 20's out to be a ski bum for a season or doing an internship/externship or a J1.

As asked by some others, what are your skills/education/goals. We can help you much more if you give us some additional details.

I appreciate your honesty on this one because I would definitely not be comfortable with being 27 around a bunch of college kids. I thought it would be more like older ski instructors and things like that. So I guess I will have to weigh that option out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado