Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,024 times

Advertisements

hello all! i'm moving out to summit county the end of june (possibly before) and would love some advice from people how have or do actually live there re: where i should focus my housing search. i understand it's ridiculously expensive (i've been haunting craigslist housing ads) and very transient. i want to be where the most social action is (as much as there can be in small ski towns, i understand this isn't denver); bars, festivals, activities, etc. i'm not necessarily a bar hound but want access when i do want to go. i tend to lean toward breck as being the most social hub but i'm not familiar enough with summit to know if that's true, i've visited breck/dillon/silverthorne/frisco but all very briefly and not nearly long enough to be able to make this decision.

i could possibly move into a short term situation to scope things out this summer...but wonder when i should have longer term housing locked in by? aug? sept?

thank you for any input you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 07:22 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,397,550 times
There will be three social circles in the area; full time long term residents, seasonal residents, and visitors. Silverthorne and Frisco will have a lot long term residents, although Breckenridge has the highest population of the three and probably has as many, they are significantly overshadowed by the visitors. As such, the social activities will tend to be slightly different between them all.

I used to spend a lot of time in Frisco and found that it was a bit less commercial and less hustle & bustle, party all night that was typically found in Breckenridge. But also preferred a more local flavor than was usually found in Breck in the winter time.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:37 PM

8,506 posts, read 8,814,710 times
Average age in Breck is about 31 yrs old according to the Census. 41% are between 21-34. Average age in Dillon is 39, with only 21% between 21-34. This doesn't count visitors and probably not many of the second homers and seasonals.

If you don't like commuting, especially in winter, Dillon has the advantage of less transit time.

Keep looking for rooms and see how the people and prices compare.

Simpler to get your place right from start but you could do summer then relocate in fall. August to early September is probably relatively good picking. Don't wait later than mid-September. Prices will likely be higher then.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-27-2016 at 04:49 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,024 times
thank you both for your replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado