Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 09:17 PM

924 posts, read 1,020,894 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I go ATVing in a lot of places and sometimes drive through very remote areas. Was wondering if there are services or some kind of device you can use to signal someone to locate your vehicle if it ever breaks down?

I drive an old 74 gmc which is super reliable, but you never know. Just spent about 2k on restoring all the parts that is worn and went bad, so its good as new again, but just incase!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 01:39 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Hey guys I go ATVing in a lot of places and sometimes drive through very remote areas. Was wondering if there are services or some kind of device you can use to signal someone to locate your vehicle if it ever breaks down?

I drive an old 74 gmc which is super reliable, but you never know. Just spent about 2k on restoring all the parts that is worn and went bad, so its good as new again, but just incase!
If you break down somewhere with no cell coverage, it can be a major nuisance. However, I am always able to get my map coordinates with just an old time, orienteering style GPS. My old trucks and SUV's break down all the time since I often lack the cash to keep them running as well as I would like, but I persist in driving to remote places anyway. I always carry the most recent edition of the Colorado Atlas and Gazetteer, a collection of 15' maps put out by DeLorme and usually available for sale for about $20 in gas stations and convenience stores through-out the state. When I find myself in the middle of nowhere with a broke truck, I just set my battery operated GPS on top of my roof for 5 or 10 minutes to give it a chance to pick up on the Satellite signals. Once I've got my latitude and longitude, I pin point my location using the Gazetteer, and figure out which way I need to start walking to make my escape. One time I had to walk 12 miles to find help, but other than that, some kind-hearted fellow wanderer has always stopped and offered me a lift. The folks you come across in the Colorado mountains are really great that way.

I suspect that my method above has become outmoded and no doubt newer vehicles come with better systems to send out help signals or whatever, but I'm happy with my maps and GPS. It's sort of like being a wild mountain woman from back in the day.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Hopefully it has a manual tranny for bump starting, otherwise you ride out on your atv and fetch someone to recue your truck. I helped rescue a Prius for a NFS campground in mtns of NM. Took all day, and 3 rigs.. Tractor, trailer, roll-back, then ... a 300 mile towing rescue to Denver for repairs.

I like to keep my vehicles simple, like your 1974. Thus I have old school Cummins, pre computer. You can transplant one in your GMC, a very popular swap to Suburban

I bought a 1974 GMC new from factory order, but unfortunately it was not my most reliable vehicle. It spent lots of time in Colorado back country, I learned to take along a box of parts and lots of tools. I sold it 10 yrs later with 26,000 miles. We trust you have worked out the bugs on yours.

OTOH my $75 1951 GMC served me for many yrs.

You can buy AAA premium if you own a lemon, or often need a tow. They will go 100 miles one way (I think)

Old 05-02-2016, 09:33 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
I have a ham radio. There's repeaters on just about every mountain. No worries here.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:13 AM

137 posts, read 196,971 times
This works for my Dad in the Alaska wilderness:

SPOT Gen3

You can set up a custom message, and that message can indicate your vehicle is down; it will be sent to your contacts with your last GPS fix. There is also a non-emergency help button on it which will also send a message to your contacts with a GPS fix.

It uses the Globalstar low earth orbit (LEO) constellation, which is helpful in the Colorado mountains. You won't always have coverage due to blockage, but you eventually will (time in between could be tens of minutes depending on topgraphy).

The Gen3 unit that allows you to send more than your position costs $150 and a year of service is $100. If you're serious about safety, it's not that much money.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:22 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppunk View Post
This works for my Dad in the Alaska wilderness:

SPOT Gen3

You can set up a custom message, and that message can indicate your vehicle is down; it will be sent to your contacts with your last GPS fix. There is also a non-emergency help button on it which will also send a message to your contacts with a GPS fix.

It uses the Globalstar low earth orbit (LEO) constellation, which is helpful in the Colorado mountains. You won't always have coverage due to blockage, but you eventually will (time in between could be tens of minutes depending on topgraphy).

The Gen3 unit that allows you to send more than your position costs $150 and a year of service is $100. If you're serious about safety, it's not that much money.
very interesting! so - is this something you can use when truck breaks down? or how does this work? what kind of message?

Old 05-03-2016, 10:30 AM

137 posts, read 196,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
very interesting! so - is this something you can use when truck breaks down? or how does this work? what kind of message?
There's a built in "I'm okay" message, a "I need help" (non-emergency) button, and a custom message (which you can set to be "my truck is stuck" that will all get sent with your coordinates. This gets sent to your contacts by text message.

In addition, there is an SOS button that will contact GEOS (the international search and rescue organization) which is really nice to have if you have a life-threatening situation in the middle of nowhere. There's also a feature (if you pay for it) that allows you send automatic position updates to a web page so people can track you on the move.

Delorem Inreach (DeLorme inReach - Two-way satellite text messaging, tracking and SOS anywhere in the world) also has a service similar to this, but it's more integrated with GPS receivers and I think they have two-way messaging. This service uses the Iridium satellite network, which is also low earth orbit like Globalstar. This will get you service in mountainous areas, and the only limitation is heavy tree coverage.

They sell both of these and personal locator beacons (for emergencies only) at most of the big outdoor stores.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:19 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
I don't even drive to work without 3 days worth of food and water with the old junk I drive,Same when I take the old 90 yj up the hill if it dies I walk out best plan ever. I depend on me cause I never fail. Don't depend on things beyond your control that may fail you when you need them most ever.I carry tools and spare parts even a spare drive shaft anyway and we still use CB radios here so I never worry about breaking down. And a whatever for taking small game helps to. Just GO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: