Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 03:36 PM

4 posts, read 4,085 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the south and ready to move to Colorado, Oregon or Washington. Right now it seems like Colorado is my top choice. I'm self employed work from home. I don't want or have to live in Downtown Denver but like an hour away is fine. I tend to like burbs with things to do.

What recommendations on places to live for an over 30 divorced, no kids person as far as reasonable neighborhoods and places? Since I do work from home I don't have to live right downtown, in the middle of the most social area but don't want to live in the middle of nowhere in the woods either ; ) I do not need to consider schools or such.

Would love comments and suggestions. I live in a smaller community now that hunts and quilts (yeah that's not working). I don't ski but just having options to do things would be amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 03:39 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Budget? House/apartment? Size?

Old 05-06-2016, 03:43 PM

Well my budget is hoping to stay under 900-1000 in rent if that's possible, right now rent an apartment (or a rental place) 1 bedroom (buy later once I know exactly what area I want to buy in. Size 650-800 square feet. No roommates just me. Since I work from home even 15-20 minutes outside a cute burb would work. I just don't want to live a over an hour out in the middle of nowhere.

I've lived in New Mexico, Chicago and now the south.

Last edited by valentine13; 05-06-2016 at 03:55 PM..

Old 05-06-2016, 04:32 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Padmapper.com
Look west of downtown Denver.
Use the filters. Be sure to eliminate AirBNB

Colorado Springs is more affordable.
Again, look to the west of downtown.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:36 PM

Thank you!

Old 05-06-2016, 05:06 PM

331 posts, read 465,374 times
In metro Denver, look at the light rail system (map at bottom of the linked page), which is operated by the Regional Transportation District. There are a lot of new and new-ish apartment buildings that have been built along the lines, especially the ones South of downtown.

I don't know how affordable any of those apartments are for you, or if any of them are what you'd be looking for. But light rail is in my experience a great way to get downtown for work and leisure, so bear it in mind even if you don't live super-close to a line.

I also don't know what it's like to live there, but a few years ago the CityCenter Englewood project redeveloped the area formerly occupied by an old shopping mall with apartments, retail, etc. The location is convenient to light rail. I've been over there to shop and a few times to Nixon's Coffee House (which I hope is still there!).

As I said, I'm not recommending any of those locations, just mentioning them as something you might want to investigate. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2016, 05:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Working from home....I would chose an income tax free state. There are 5 that are outdoor centric.

I did 28 yrs on CO, but my move to WA added much wealth to my investments, wages, take home, recreation, social options, hobbies, free time. I really like living in a National Sceniic Area (protected.., No more houses) yet 30 min to 20 universities and colleges, and 15 min to a very nice international airport ... and sales tax free shopping is a perk for many ( not me, I'm all done 'consuming').

5 minutes to very good salmon fishing. 1 hr to the ski slopes or the beach.
Plenty of deer, bear, cougars, bobcats, and even sasquatch out the back door. our county has an ordinance for sasquatch... One of highest sightings in USA. You could be famous if you bring a live one to the local "BigFoot Days".

Old 05-06-2016, 08:00 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Working from home....I would chose an income tax free state. There are 5 that are outdoor centric.
I would consider the TOTAL tax picture for you.
  • Income tax (earnings, pension, SS)
  • Sales tax
  • Property tax
Colorado really makes sense for us. New Hampshire, not so much.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:47 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I did 28 yrs on CO, but my move to WA added much wealth to my investments, wages, take home, recreation, social options, hobbies, free time. I really like living in a National Sceniic Area (protected.., No more houses) yet 30 min to 20 universities and colleges, and 15 min to a very nice international airport ... and sales tax free shopping is a perk for many ( not me, I'm all done 'consuming').

5 minutes to very good salmon fishing. 1 hr to the ski slopes or the beach.
Plenty of deer, bear, cougars, bobcats, and even sasquatch out the back door. our county has an ordinance for sasquatch... One of highest sightings in USA. You could be famous if you bring a live one to the local "BigFoot Days".
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I would consider the TOTAL tax picture for you.
  • Income tax (earnings, pension, SS)
  • Sales tax
  • Property tax
Colorado really makes sense for us. New Hampshire, not so much.
Conservative religious Christian viewpoint versus more liberal, atheist viewpoint above. It matters to many. I fall in to the latter category. Denver area fits me better. YMMV.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Less than 5% churched in PNW we_side of Cascades if OP wants religious freedom. NH is quite similar with very liberal areas. NV is plenty liberal, AK is 'don't ask, don't tell'. SD Black Hills area is plenty liberal, ( not that OP asked or is concerned)

As SD mentioned.... Budget and housing needs to be considered..

OP sounds like a Boulder, Ft Collins, person.

Compared to many options that suit him in his other choices of OR and WA. (They each have plenty of water too).

Depending on his self employment (including business income, state filings, and taxes) and property ownership should clarify his choices. I can't imagine OR as a viable choice (9% income tax, but no sales tax).

OP, do the math, and make a weighted spreadsheet with your musts and wants. (Including projections of 5 and 10 yrs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado