Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 07:31 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,464,072 times

Advertisements

Colorado issuing driver's licenses to immigrants

Woke up to this piece of news this morning. So now Illegals who cant read English, have insurance, are here illegally, can now freely drive the roads maintained by the taxes of the citizens of CO. Good job Gov, way to buy more votes in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 08:34 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,035,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Colorado issuing driver's licenses to immigrants

Woke up to this piece of news this morning. So now Illegals who cant read English, have insurance, are here illegally, can now freely drive the roads maintained by the taxes of the citizens of CO. Good job Gov, way to buy more votes in November.
You have no clue what you are talking about, and obviously didn't read the article before you posted it. They will be paying taxes and they will be required to have insurance. A drivers license is a requirement to get insurance. So as it stands before this law, they could drive as everybody can in a free country, but they couldn't get insurance.

As for speaking English, that has never been a requirement to get a driver's license.

So if you are really concerned about them paying taxes, and having insurance, you should be happy about this law. OTOH if you just hate immigrants, feel free to be POed about it.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:39 AM

"Although all drivers are required to be insured, the new law won't guarantee that immigrants will get insurance."

No I read it, and I don't know maybe it's people here illegally, don't feel very compelled to follow the laws.

This is nothing more than buying the Hispanic vote. Just like allowing illegals to attend CO universities at the same tuition rate as LEGAL residents. I work immigrants, some are here on visas, others are in the process of actually becoming citizens. I am all in favor of those who follow due process, I don't believe in flooding the borders of unskilled workers that have little to contribute.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:26 AM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
IIRC we are required to have insurance, but if we don't have insurance isn't there a sum we pay to the state for uninsured motorists? Is that correct?

I like the new law, because to get that license the immigrant has to pass the driver's test and prove they can drive to our standards (not that all of us do, eh). With the new law they will have a license so if they do get involved in a fender bender they won't flee the scene for fear of being locked up or deported for not having a license.

Immigration status is a federal issue, let's get the feds to fix that; but safe driving on COLO streets is a local issue and I think the new law works towards that goal.

Someday we might even have a congress that works for its pay.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IIRC we are required to have insurance, but if we don't have insurance isn't there a sum we pay to the state for uninsured motorists? Is that correct?

I like the new law, because to get that license the immigrant has to pass the driver's test and prove they can drive to our standards (not that all of us do, eh). With the new law they will have a license so if they do get involved in a fender bender they won't flee the scene for fear of being locked up or deported for not having a license.

Immigration status is a federal issue, let's get the feds to fix that; but safe driving on COLO streets is a local issue and I think the new law works towards that goal.

Someday we might even have a congress that works for its pay.
Do you really think that someone who doesn't take the time to assimilate into the population properly will take the time to give Allstate a call? What happens if they wreck into you, guess what.....

So all problems with the Fed are Congress' fault? got it.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:21 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
Quote:
Do you really think that someone who doesn't take the time to assimilate into the population properly will take the time to give Allstate a call? What happens if they wreck into you, guess what.....

So all problems with the Fed are Congress' fault? got it.
Uhmmm... As a matter of fact, Congress is a part of the Federal government. This means Congress does indeed create and (rarely) solve Federal problems. I don't know what the DMV is doing these days in the rest of Colorado, but out here you have to have proof of insurance in your hot little hand before they'll give you a driver's license. Your auto insurance should have a rider concerning uninsured motorists where ever they may be from - even Mars. Plus, what's with this assimilating into the population properly? Seems to me that getting a valid driver's license would be a big step in the right direction.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,756 times
Quote:
"Although all drivers are required to be insured, the new law won't guarantee that immigrants will get insurance."
I had an experience about 3 years ago ... immigrant (primary insured) allowed their spouse to drive the vehicle and got into a small fender bender. She had no license (assume that she wasn't covered due to not being a licensed driver) .... anyway, LE issued her a ticket - and the penalty for not having a license ...... $35!!!!! Complete joke. How you can put a ticket on a driving record when there isn't a license makes no sense! Meanwhile, my vehicle sustained $3k worth of damage.

Buying the vote?! I foresee voter manipulation and fraud problems with issuing such driver's licenses ... what is needed to register to vote?! yup, driver's license. Yes, you have to be a citizen to be able to vote, but do they really bother to verify and enforce that you're a citizen when you register - especially when you can do it on-line .... show up at the polling station, show your driver's license as ID, check your name on the list - and cast away!!

Old 08-02-2014, 02:38 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,989,104 times
Wink No

I literally only yesterday happened to speak with a cashier who relayed a most distressing story, and to to me a stranger presumably as it was troubling her.

Her daughter had just had a miscarriage. Actually warranted and induced, and the pregnancy unknown to her until visiting the doctor for another reason. That from an 'accident' long past that had resulted in complications which required an overdose of antibiotics. Informed by doctors since that she and her husband might never have children in result. The cause of all this three very drunk Hispanics (and illegal aliens) which had run into her in an auto accident in the middle of the day.

I'm not implying anything. Certainly not that all Hispanics are illegal aliens or even drink at all. But handing out Colorado driver licenses to a bunch of people who often cannot even comprehend the english language cannot end well.

Not one of these people should receive a Colorado driver's license. Because they are aliens and here illegally. Meaning not one of them should even be in Colorado, and every last one of them should be immediately located somewhere south of the border.

Those entering this country legally (because deemed of some benefit to this nation) will then of course have all their proper papers, including a driver's license. And then likely not only the ability to drive properly (or at least as well as any other, perhaps questionable, Colorado citizen), but the proper right to do so as well.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:44 PM

This is nothing more than rewarding someone for illegal behavior. Unfortunately many will see this is a win for immigrants at the polls as well as the Hispanic population. Neither are true.

I know many throw the argument of this nation was built on immigrants around. Which is true. But they were processed at an entry point and determined if they were necessary for the nation. Those that were sick and unable to contribute were shipped back.

The above story is terrible and we should not be rewarding criminals. Unfortunately now CO looks like a shining beacon in their eyes and will only attract more.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:46 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,189,346 times
agreed wow, what have we done to our country, ....it boggles the mind....imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado