Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,096 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Ashley. My husband and I have been talking for quite awhile about relocating to Colorado once I finish my doctorate in physical therapy next year. We do have a few questions for anyone who has some insight.

1. What are the best family friendly towns (ex: great schools, low crime, conservative views and values, etc)

2. Are there any towns from question 1 that are close to skiing? (Weekend trips that require some driving are fine)

3. Does anyone have an idea about new physical therapy graduates and employment? I've heard it can be quite difficult for new grads to find employment.

We have one son (age 4) and are expecting our second in September. We want to find a place we can raise our kids but continue to live and enjoy into retirement. We love doing things outdoors (kayaking, going to the lake, skiing, hunting, etc) and could really use some help for those with CO experience.

Thank You!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 07:12 PM

3,401 posts, read 4,594,925 times
For towns, check out Grand Junction and Montrose.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:39 PM

8,453 posts, read 8,680,685 times
There a lot of questions that need to be answered to get targetted responses.

What size city do you want?
How close to Denver?
Do you intend a hospital based practice, join a practice with own office or do outpatient work? Cutting edge work or basic?
What housing budget?
By "great" schools do you mean truly 10-20% on achievement scores or just good enough that most parents are happy?

At this point my best guess is Colorado Springs. If your school standards are flexible and you want a smaller town, you might consider Montrose, Craig or Pagosa Springs.

Or Loveland, Highlands Ranch or Castle Rock for medium size and more employment options. These cities might not be as conservative as you seek but they are more moderate or conservative than most in CO. Pick the right neighborhood and friends and they could be what you want.

I guess Grand Junction is an option too. Are there great schools there? I dunno. Public or private? I tend to think there are a lot of schools that could be good enough if the student is focused and motivated and parental involvement is high; but if you want documented great that will require careful research using school rating sites and visits talking to school personnel and parents. And generally living in above average to high expense neighborhoods.

Some people looking for what you are would consider Canon City. Others rule it out because of the high concentration of correctional facilities.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-10-2016 at 09:19 PM..

Old 05-11-2016, 03:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,655 posts, read 57,744,979 times
For your career and kids... I would look into the city of Loveland / or south Ft Collins

There is an increasing active senior population, and good medical and schools here... But...a few Hours to skiing

Consider Glenwood Springs, but far from an airport with direct connections.

If skiing is your thing... Give SLC a good look. There are very nice areas north, and close to WY, MT and ID. (All these have some water issues, but not as bad as Colorado crisis)

If kid's public education is important, AND you are starting your high earnings yrs, seriously consider Sheridan, WY. CO is pretty poor in school funding.

Other income tax free states with good income, very nice recreation, and decent schools are WA and AK.

You have many great choices, make a weighted priority list and also do sample lifetime earning scenerios. (Including taxes and real estate appreciation). There are several spreadsheet applications that can help you realize the financial impact of your choices. WY was my perfect choice, but poor proximity to international airport, and risk of Real Estate exposure in an energy state negated my wishes.

Since you are just starting your career, consider international options with military based assignments. It is a great life, and good for your kids and cultural understanding.

There are some great PT options / treatments in other countries. With A(?)CA, keep your eyes open, beyond USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado