Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 02:32 PM

88 posts, read 86,813 times

Advertisements

My most recent car is toast - can't get it to inspect. So, it's time for a replacement. I'm just going to buy whatever I can get for however much cash I can scrape up at the time, usually somewhere in the 100 - 5000 dollar range

Coincidentally, in the very near future I need to deliver a truckload of (someone else's) household goods from NY to Colorado. I'll be renting a truck for this, and turning it in at the destination (Denverish) once it's been unloaded. After which, it seemed logical to fly back to NY. That's what I've done in a similar situation before, and (at that moment last night on google flights, at least) looked like a decent deal....

But then it occurred to me, maybe I can get a car out there and drive it home. (2 birds/1 stone logic) I think used cars from CO tend to be in better shape than used cars from the NE(?) Whether it's because of driving conditions or some other reason, I don't know. The air, maybe.

So, would this be legal and logistically possible/ practical, or not? Or if you just think it's a bad idea, I'd be interested to know your reasoning. Or any suggestions to make it easier, smoother, not get ripped off (j/k I know that one, I should take a guy with me, right? ) - And anything else that hasn't occurred to me... Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 04:13 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Legally and logistically quite feasible.

I buy cars out of state. Usually able to find better deals. Check prices. Some cars like Toyota trucks and Subarus command a premium in Colorado and it's better not to buy them here.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:29 PM

331 posts, read 465,503 times
Here's an article to get you started: Should I Buy an Out-of-State Car?

Colorado vehicles are titled and licensed by the Colorado Dept of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles. I assume you'll deal with them on the CO end of things, including getting whatever kind of temporary tag you'll need to drive your newly purchased car back to NY where it will be permanently licensed.

Happy hunting.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:06 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
In theory I think it's a fine idea, but it seems to me that you'll be putting a lot of pressure on yourself to find a suitable car in a short period of time.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:16 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,389 times
A couple of years ago my brother bought a car in Denver on my recommendation. I parked it for a few weeks in my garage, driving it in my neighborhood without plates a few times. He flew out and got a temp registration from the DMV and drove home to SoCal, where he got CA plates and paid a butt-load of taxes. The CO part was easy.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:23 PM

88 posts, read 86,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzatlarge View Post
Here's an article to get you started: Should I Buy an Out-of-State Car?

Colorado vehicles are titled and licensed by the Colorado Dept of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles. I assume you'll deal with them on the CO end of things, including getting whatever kind of temporary tag you'll need to drive your newly purchased car back to NY where it will be permanently licensed.

Happy hunting.
Thanks very much for the link. I'll check it out!

Old 06-15-2016, 04:48 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
low-end price cars in Colorado will not necessarily be a "better buy" than in your home area ...

even though most of Colorado's cars will be rust-free compared to your home marketplace for comparable year cars if they were sold here new and driven in this region ...

many cars here weren't sold new and kept in this region. As well, Colorado's strong prices on some cars are the basis for a lot of used cars being brought here from auctions in the rust belt areas of the USA.

You may get lucky and find the proverbial low cost one-owner well cared-for car here. But do you have the time and ability to chase down these limited opportunities? remember, you are competing as a buyer with the used-car pro's here who are seeking inventory to turn, and they've got a full-time (as well as a fair number of part-timers) business out of buying those cars that have a good bit of upside potential in them.

I think your original plan to fly back home may be the better plan.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:35 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Be safe

Just remember to replace the air in the tire after you hit Kansas. The lighter Denver air will not withstand the rigors of low-altitude driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: