Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 10:41 PM

4 posts, read 4,728 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
Next summer (2017) I am planning on moving from Oregon to Colorado. Over the last year, I have traveled to Colorado 5 times and completely fell in love, mostly spending time in the Colorado Springs and Pueblo areas. I am currently seeking advice on where the ideal places for an active, early 20's young woman (and her blue heeler) to live are.

I'd prefer to live outside of major city limits, so Denver area is not at the top of my list. Something quieter and with easy access to outdoor activities is preferred. I plan to take my dog out on trails and hikes in my free time, so relatively quick access to those kinds of things would be great! I'd also prefer an area that has people in my age group (20-30), so I could make friends and whatnot.

My income is not the highest as I currently work at a grocery store, and it will be just me and my dog, so living in an area within my means is important to me. I understand the pueblo area is relatively inexpensive, but in my time spent there, I wasn't exposed to many outdoor activities that were nearby.

I am open to considering any part of Colorado to live. I guess what I'm looking for is recommendations on what parts of Colorado to look into with my financial income and hobbies in mind.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, so I can begin narrowing down my options and saving funds.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 10:45 PM

Additional questions/ information:
What are the major attractions from each part of Colorado (Northern, Eastern, Southern, Western)? Besides snowboarding and skiing.

Do different parts of Colorado have significantly different weather conditions throughout the year?

ANY advice is appreciated.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,733 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Consider looking for a FT staff position on a dude ranch or outdoor camp. (Often includes room and board, eventually a staff house on, or off property.

You could do food, housekeeping, maintenance....

I would first search the options, then narrow the locations.

Gunnison, Montrose, Salida, Buena Vista... Not so popular towns, but broader economy that ski / tourist.

I like college towns, this place is superb, just as an idea of what is possible.
Most camps and ranches are already staffed for the summer season by November, summer is too busy to talk with them, but will give you time to investigate.

Waunita Hot Springs Ranch

Why Colorado? there are many options, Colorado will have lots of competition for jobs, but if you are good, you will get a job (pay is much less when there are a zillion people wanting the few jobs.)

Why not AK, MT, ID, WA, WY, SD, NM?
Even northern mtns of CA and much of Oregon can be pretty good and much easier to find work.

I know many people who got great staff jobs at TX, CO, MT, and WA camps during their 20's. One of my SIL has done it for 30 yrs.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:49 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
While a Dude Ranch or Camp could be a nice life they usually do not allow line employees to bring pets.

I'm up near Vail and that fits much of what you want except for the cost of living which is outrageous, as in most resort areas.

Weather can be drastically different in parts of the state. The Eastern plains could have a blizzard and the mountains may just get a dusting. Sometimes we will have all four seasons in a day. If weather is a condition of where you want to live let us know what you like and we can give you better information.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:37 AM

I'm just curious as to what the weather does all across the state in general. I know it snows a bunch but is also blue skies and sunny a lot as well.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:20 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,866,449 times
Does the grocery store chain you work at allow transfers or could you call the locations here in Colorado?

I know that the grocery stores are desperate in Boulder, Fort Collins and Denver. Especially areas like Douglas County, Southern Arapahoe County are going to be desperate for labor as the wage scale doesn't match the cost of living and it's hard to keep employees.

Colorado Springs has a lower rental vacancy rate then Denver at the current time. To live in an old complex in a decent neighborhood is 800+ dollars a month plus utilities here.

Colorado Springs is a great bargain for single-family homes, but apartments are quite expensive.

Honestly as of late I have seen apartment buildings in Englewood that match the apartment prices in Colorado Springs. Englewood is a southern suburb of Denver that is quiet but close to everything including recreation and entertainment.

It is close to the areas of Denver that have massive labor shortages in grocery stores like Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Littleton, Centennial.

The decent areas of apartments in Colorado Springs are primarily north of Austin Bluffs Pkwy in Colorado Springs. Just to let you know the areas north of Austin Bluffs Pkwy are more-tilted towards the retiree and married with large family demographic.

They have neighborhoods in SE Colorado Springs that are 700 dollars a month but I would not recommend the SE part of Colorado Springs as it is the roughest neighborhood in the state.

Alot of apartments being bought as value-add investments here where they put a bit of money into the apartment and raise the price. Most of the apartment complexes are owned by large investors also who do what they can to maximize their profit.

Pueblo is very cheap but I would not recommend it. Pueblo has the best weather in the state and a big lake by Colorado standards, other then that it's a city with rampant gang violence and a terrible economy.

Pueblo is going to have very few job openings because of the economy, people will stay at any job just because having a job in Pueblo is a novelty.

Pueblo is also a cliquish city as most of the people who live there are from that city as it's had a weak economy for decades.

Being that you are in your early 20s have you considered renting an apartment with other people your age up in the Fort Collins or Longmont area?

Colorado Springs is very nice scenery but if your looking for a social-life then Fort Collins or Boulder County would be a better fit.

Even though apartments are very expensive, there are alot of people who have roommates in that area. T

Fort Collins and Eastern Boulder County have a large young adult population and even though it is expensive you could split the rent with other people and pay the same or less then you would to live in Colorado Springs or Pueblo

Colorado Springs is great for retirees, Pueblo I would never recommend but the main-hub of 20-something culture is going to be in Fort Collins or Boulder County.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 06-17-2016 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-17-2016, 10:39 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
Mostly sunny and blue skies is a very on point description of our weather.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:12 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times
The weather is heavily influenced by altitude and what is just to the west of it. Over 8,000 feet, usually a lot of snow. 6-8,000 ft., less; below 6,000 even less falls and less sticks around. Just west of tall mountains? Might get snow shadow and less snow. Clear shot for storms to sweep in from west and mountains to east? Probably will get a lot of snow. One source of climate data http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/summary/climsmco.html
Snow levels may be lower actual because of missing data. Is low temps bother you, note the number of months it goes below freezing on an average night. If you click the temperature link on left side of the page, you can also find the number of days it goes below zero and days it never gets above freezing on average. Some warm days can pop up here and there and give breaks but be prepared for average or colder.

Don't want to be too near Denver and want somewhat more affordable housing? You might look at Longmont. Further out, Salida. Maybe Manitou Springs. Durango is popular. Bayfield and Mancos are somewhat more affordable than anything closer in.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-17-2016 at 06:16 PM..

Old 06-17-2016, 05:41 PM

670 posts, read 1,053,505 times
I think Salida and Manitou have both become high priced (and Manitou is busy year round with tourists now and has some major parking woes). Although I do think Salida could be a good fit other than the cost. Buena Vista is slightly better than Salida in the affordable housing category but winter is harsher than Salida and it's definitely sleepier.

Near the front range Colorado Springs area, affordable housing and more mild winters with little snow(although summers are bit toasty) Canon City and Florence might be possibilities. Great outdoor recreation in the area, mountain biking, rafting, hiking, climbing, fishing etc. quick access to the Sangre de Cristo Mountains for backpacking or hiking up to high alpine lakes but for an early 20's person I am not sure if there are enough in that age group like there are in "younger" towns i.e Salida, Gunnison, Fort Collins.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:46 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,393,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandybaird View Post
I'm just curious as to what the weather does all across the state in general. I know it snows a bunch but is also blue skies and sunny a lot as well.
Ahhh, the piles of snow myth. Some places get a lot, some barely get any. Depends on where you are at.
Its very varied here,to say the least. Elevation has a big impact on this. Higher will be cooler, lower will be warmer. The southern half tends to be warmer than the northern half. The eastern half is all great plains and can have rolling thunderstorms, violent blizzards and tornados. The western half can have snow possibility yer round, afternoon showers, and sunny and mild days. The whole state can get pretty heavy winds at times. The south-west and north-west corners are actually very close to being typical desert climates. You would need to zero in a region to get a better answer than this.

For comparison, how would you describe Oregon's weather and would you base that on what you see Depoe Bay, Tillmook, Portland, or Pasco? Colorado also has a broad range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
They have neighborhoods in SE Colorado Springs that are 700 dollars a month but I would not recommend the SE part of Colorado Springs as it is the roughest neighborhood in the state.
Hardly. It may have more crime than the rest of Colorado Springs, but that's like saying you're the meanest dude in all of Mayberry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Pueblo is very cheap but I would not recommend it. Pueblo has the best weather in the state and a big lake by Colorado standards, other then that it's a city with rampant gang violence and a terrible economy.
Best is subjective. If the OP is from eastern Oregon, then yes, it will feel very familiar. If from western Oregon, they will fry. Pueblo is fighting a gang problem currently, but does have some very nice neighborhoods and a reasonable cost of living. They do have the highest unemployment rate in the state though at 6.1 so you would probably need an internal transfer to land a job there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado