Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 03:24 PM

28 posts, read 47,032 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

A few of us were planning on doing dispersed camping the weekend of the 19th-21st along the upper Colorado river near radium (Kremmling). I called their local land management office as was advised to stay off the Colorado in that area that weekend due to a concert and the area was going to be jammed pack.

Now I have 2 problems - people are already taking off work and the group is getting bigger and bigger. Needless to say I need a good place to camp for our group. Here are the logistics and requests.

Any and all help appreciated!!!

Group size - 7-8 Tents / 7-8 cars / around 30 people
Ages infant to 72 (good shape though and can hike a little bit if necessary)
Campground or dispersed (prefer dispersed)
No longer than 4 hours from Denver Metro

Preferences:
Near a river or lake to fish (ideally camping right next to the river/lake)
Public land where we can target shoot
secluded
able to park relatively close to campsite and accommodate the 7-8 cars
seclusion would be nice

No need for amenities although a store/bathroom a mile or 2 away would be nice.

Not apposed to campsite camping if its near a river/lake and we can walk to public land to shoot (I know, 1/4 mile away from developed campsites). Problem is most sites through reserve america are booked months in advance for big parties...

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 10:15 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
you've already found out that that Colorado River area is likely to be overcapacity due to other planned events at the time of your trip. Seclusion is not going to be very likely.

perhaps you should investigate having your group at another location within the 4 hour radius of Denver metro, even if it means compromising on some of your "preferences"?

check out Lake McConnaughy Ogallala NE dispersed camping on the shores of the lake at various coves. Or check out Enders Dam camping areas near Imperial NE.

I've oft times found that the sizable campgrounds/lakes in Western NE are very underutilized facilities on non-holiday weekends ....

Old 08-06-2016, 10:35 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkms View Post
Hello all,

A few of us were planning on doing dispersed camping the weekend of the 19th-21st along the upper Colorado river near radium (Kremmling). I called their local land management office as was advised to stay off the Colorado in that area that weekend due to a concert and the area was going to be jammed pack.

Now I have 2 problems - people are already taking off work and the group is getting bigger and bigger. Needless to say I need a good place to camp for our group. Here are the logistics and requests.

Any and all help appreciated!!!

Group size - 7-8 Tents / 7-8 cars / around 30 people
Ages infant to 72 (good shape though and can hike a little bit if necessary)
Campground or dispersed (prefer dispersed)
No longer than 4 hours from Denver Metro

Preferences:
Near a river or lake to fish (ideally camping right next to the river/lake)
Public land where we can target shoot
secluded
able to park relatively close to campsite and accommodate the 7-8 cars
seclusion would be nice

No need for amenities although a store/bathroom a mile or 2 away would be nice.

Not apposed to campsite camping if its near a river/lake and we can walk to public land to shoot (I know, 1/4 mile away from developed campsites). Problem is most sites through reserve america are booked months in advance for big parties...

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Let's see...30 people already and growing all the time without your control, infants present, target shooting, no need for that amenity known as a bathroom. So you ALL will bring and USE approved bags to contain and take away for proper disposal your voluminous amounts of human waste, right? Not to mention trash from fishing, drinking, eating, spent ammunition, and general mess that more than 30 people are guaranteed to generate.

Camping right next to a lake or river without a bathroom, YIKES. I hope you rent a private property that cleans up after you. Your party sounds like most people's camping neighbor nightmare.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Let's see...30 people already and growing all the time without your control, infants present, target shooting, no need for that amenity known as a bathroom. So you ALL will bring and USE approved bags to contain and take away for proper disposal your voluminous amounts of human waste, right? Not to mention trash from fishing, drinking, eating, spent ammunition, and general mess that more than 30 people are guaranteed to generate.

Camping right next to a lake or river without a bathroom, YIKES. I hope you rent a private property that cleans up after you. Your party sounds like most people's camping neighbor nightmare.
Sure are a lot of assumptions in your post. Just because we have a large group does not automatically mean we will be a disrespectful group. Of course a bathroom close by would be nice but we can make due if not. To think we will be a bunch of rowdy teenagers is silly. Everyone in our group is middle aged adults with a few very young children. Thanks for your time posting nonetheless.

To the previous poster, thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it!

Old 08-06-2016, 11:16 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Who said anything about teenagers? Sometimes the worst groups are the exact demographic you described. If you are in fact respectful of both other people and the environment, kudos to you. It's just that I have seen too many groups that were not.

Please, bring Wag Bags, because when ya gotta go and no bathroom is near, you know what happens. You can even make your own version for less cost by buying the powder and bags in bulk.

http://www.cleanwaste.com/poo-powder-waste-treatment

Old 08-06-2016, 11:30 AM

I did read a great suggestion on using grass clippings and pine needles for waste bags. Supposed to work really well and was something I was going to try this time around. I do understand our biggest hurdle will be waste which is something we are already planning on.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:25 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Highline State Park north-west of Grand Junction - has a largish body of water, campsites, toilets, showers, but won't allow shooting. Also not sure of availability with a group if other activities are going on at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado