Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:11 PM

79 posts, read 483,956 times

Advertisements

Have any of you out there tried moving to Colorado but then had to move back? (I'm especially interested in hearing from Californians).

I've heard rumors of people having to move back home because they couldn't find jobs or got “laid off” back in the 90's, but I haven’t heard any real accounts. I’d be interested in hearing your stories and tips from lessons learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 04:44 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,354,787 times
I did that about 10 years ago, but I had to move back to Ohio, cause I found out my ex GF was pregnant with my kid. I didn'treally want to leave though

Old 02-21-2008, 10:22 PM

11,820 posts, read 34,326,708 times
Only once did I sell a house to a family, that after 18 months, decided they needed to be near the ocean and moved back to Cali.

I think the clincher was they moved here to be closer to mom, and then mom passed on, there was nothing to keep them here.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:52 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
I have known a few people over the years who moved here and then moved back "home". I wouldn't say it happens with amazing frequency.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:16 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,933,671 times
It sometimes happens, not necessarily because they don't like Colorado.
I've known several.
Some went back to the South, some returned to Ohio, some moved back East permanently.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 PM

911 posts, read 2,147,735 times
i was unfortunately removed from Colorado as a teen, and have missed it ever since. i'm from Michigan. polar opposites. i cannot WAIT to get back to Colorado. it's the only place i've ever lived that i never wanted to leave. i've lived in Colorado, Georgia and Michigan, and i've been to about half of the states and a good portion of Canada, and Colorado is still my preference by far. this includes Cali. probably not the info you were looking for, but humor me... i miss it!!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:44 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,405,204 times
Because Colorado's economy has been strong for the last few years (albeit unhealthily overdependent on construction, recreation, and real estate speculation--which I think is all about to ingloriously tank), not many people have HAD to leave Colorado. When the Colorado economy tanked in the early 1980's, things were much different. People had to leave the state in droves because there simply were too few jobs. There were lots of those people who hated to leave, but they had no choice. Nor was that the first time that has happened in Colorado--it has happened several times in the state's history. I think we're about to experience another one of those periods.

Current Coloradans have been spoiled by about two decades of abnormally robust national and state economic growth. For those who have relocated to Colorado in the last 10-20 years, they think that what they have seen here economically is the norm. It is not. In fact, the Colorado economy has tended, over much of its history, to be highly cyclical, with extended periods of wallowing in economic doldrums. Colorado has been a relatively difficult place in which to make a living for far more of its history than it has been an easy place to live. I also think that people who say the state's economy is now more "diversified" and able to weather an economic storm are deluding themselves. If anything, the Colorado economy is less diversified, and more dependent on speculation and unstable industries than it was, say, 40 or 50 years ago.

I believe the next several years--maybe more than several--may turn out to be quite economically challenging in Colorado. When that happens, I think a lot of Colorado "wannabes" may find Colorado disappearing behind them in their rear view mirrors. The people who stay will be the ones who are willing to accept what Colorado really is on much more austere terms.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:48 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,025,159 times
Look here for an interesting publication from the US Census Bureau regarding state-to-state migration patterns. Check the chart on page three for Colorado numbers. Essentially, the largest group of immigrants (1995-2000) came from...no surprise here...California. What I did find surprising is that for every two people who moved here from California, one moved back during the same period. Looks like the OP's rumors were correct.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:11 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,361,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Look here for an interesting publication from the US Census Bureau regarding state-to-state migration patterns. Check the chart on page three for Colorado numbers. Essentially, the largest group of immigrants (1995-2000) came from...no surprise here...California. What I did find surprising is that for every two people who moved here from California, one moved back during the same period. Looks like the OP's rumors were correct.
I wonder how many of them didn't realize Denver gets snow until they moved.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:34 PM

386 posts, read 1,689,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
That's one of the things about Denver I always HATED. Nobody knows their neighbor because everybody's moving around all the time. It must be one of the most transient (not homeless....but rootless) cities out there. I think so many people in Denver seem aloof and reserved because nobody needs to be committed to the community--they'll be gone in a few years anyway. There's just no investment.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado