Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 12:45 AM

63 posts, read 102,809 times

Advertisements

I'll probably raise a stink with this topic, but with the poor condition of Colorado roads and the limited appetite to increase taxes (22¢ per gallon state tax, 13th lowest of the 50 states) it seems absurd to me as a proud alien* of this great state that you need someone from outside to help you figure out some things. (Although you should be wary of outside help...Doug Bruce is a fellow alien, even though I find most of his views patently alien.)

With studded tires Colorado wants to have its cake and eat it, too. Why on earth are they legal year round?

Minnesnowtans deal with every bit as much snow as most areas of Colorado. Yes, they get late winter snow, just like Denver. But you won't find a single stud on tires in the Twin Cities or anywhere else in the state. Studded tires are banned there. They got tired of the destruction to the roads.

If you want studded tires, they should be rubber studs only. You would only be able to use rubber studs year round if you're a resident of a mountainous county. Otherwise, they'd only permitted from October 15 to May 1.

Or, if you want to maintain the status quo re: studs, then either the state gas tax needs to go up 10¢/gal. or drivers will have to pay a $50 fee annually to be able to use studs.

Colorado = Missouri With Mountains, but with less common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 03:44 AM

155 posts, read 156,385 times
Are there really that many people using studs? I've lived here all my life (60 years) and the last time I heard someone say they were getting studded tires was probably in the 70's. I've never known anyone who used them in recent memory. Between the improved tires and better traction capabilities of cars these days, who needs 'em?

Old 09-10-2016, 07:21 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
you raise a stink ... not because of your perspective on the state roads/taxes/"knowing disdain" for Colorado ...

but because you have a complete misconception of the driving conditions that present in Colorado which occur in the mountains as well as out on the plains during the winter months.

Colorado's roads don't frequently present "deep loose snow" ... but they do frequently present the conditions of "Black Ice", which is treacherously slick.

However, few folk drive with studded tires these days even if it is legal to do so. The numerous improvements in tire technology and rubber compounds for All Season or Winter spec tires of the last few decades predominate in the industry. The last years that I saw a lot of tires being studded was in the 1970's. Blizzak, Nordfrost, and a host of other tires which do very well in Colorado conditions are very popular. At that, many folk drive AWD and FWD cars which are very capable vehicles on the slick roads even when equipped with All Season tires ... but with the Winter rated tires, are exceptionally good performers.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:14 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
I think you're getting winter tires and studded tires confused. I can't remember the last time I saw a tire with studs and I live in the mountains.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:34 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
I haven't had studded snow tires on a car since, oh, 1992. Nice try though.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:56 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Coloradoans, unlike Minnesotans, don't need their intelligence to be mandated.

Studded snow tires seemed to have faded away with the rwd vehicles. Some of us still own rwd only vehicles, but we don't take them out on the ice.

It's like the helmet law. We don't need the federal government to try and protect the very heads of people who want to ride their bike without protecting the very coconut within said helmet that is responsible for making the decision in the first place.

If people are smart enough to demonstrate safety, those less fortunate may either eventually comply or fade away.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:13 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I think you're getting winter tires and studded tires confused. I can't remember the last time I saw a tire with studs and I live in the mountains.
Agreed. Winter tires, however, are very useful. I wish all the newcomers got in the habit of using those October - April, instead of asking endless questions about the need for 4WD vehicles. FWD with winter tires will handle much better in the snow and on the slippery roads than 4WD with all season tires, most of the time.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:29 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
My dad swears by studded tires but he has always done alot of highway driving & mountain driving.

His come OFF over the summer, though, he says they are bad on the roads & bad on his gas milage.

I didn't realize people left them ON ... Why would they do that? They can be really expensive; why would anyone shorten their "life-span" like that?

Old 09-10-2016, 01:44 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
My dad swears by studded tires but he has always done alot of highway driving & mountain driving.

His come OFF over the summer, though, he says they are bad on the roads & bad on his gas milage.

I didn't realize people left them ON ... Why would they do that? They can be really expensive; why would anyone shorten their "life-span" like that?
I hear cars with them fairly often during the summer months. It seems like a waste of money since the heat shortens their lifespan quite a bit.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:24 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
The only time they might do anything is when spinning your drive wheel/wheels on the ice and you've already lost at this point.

How many of you realize that you don't have to spin your wheels ever on the snow or ice?

Granted, sometimes you see yourself heading west up Filmore just west of I-25 or cresting Monument Hill and the road is so pitched and so icy that you get sideways and/or fishtail.

The only thing to do here is slow down slow down slow down... with your foot off of the brake pedal... and try to steer out of trouble. Gear down, do what you gotta do.

I see no need for studded snow tires, unless you see yourself driving on your mother-in-law's driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado