Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 19,639 times

Advertisements

Hello- I'm new to this forum thing so bear with me... I'm a 30 year old female looking to relocate from Chicago to Colorado. I love the mountains and I love backpacking, hiking, etc. I'd really like to live in a beautiful area with mountains nearby. I'll be travelling there in March to check out a couple of areas. I'm going to spend a couple of days in Boulder, a night in Ft. Collins, and 2 nights in Denver (although I'm not sure I'd really want to live in Denver itself). I'm graduating in May from x-ray school so one of my biggest concerns is whether I'll be able to find a job right away or not. Is it hard to find medical jobs in smaller towns like Boulder or Ft. Collins? Does anybody know of any schools that have MRI programs? Any advice about areas that would be good for someone my age? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 01:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Two new hospitals are open or opening in Colorado Springs, both on the north side of town. I would expect that they will anchor numerous medical offices and medical services type places.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:40 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAYTECH View Post
Hello- I'm new to this forum thing so bear with me...
Happy to bear with you. Have you checked the indexes in each CO forum for threads on Medical / Hospitals? Lots of info there.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:30 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,120 times
Yes, i'd seriously consider Colorado Springs. It might just suit you well.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:58 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
I also read that there is a new hospital being built in Castle Rock???

Old 02-26-2008, 07:13 PM

423 posts, read 1,959,296 times
There is a new hospital in Loveland along with another one there,and one in Fort Collins. Many people post on here that it is hard to get nursing jobs but I am not sure about the xray jobs. Fort Collins would be a great place for your age group and a very safe place for you being a single female. I don't think I would recoment Colorado Springs for someone single and your age. It is not that bad of a town, but from hearing about other peoples experience there I don't think it would be as much fun for you.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:45 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,880 times
There is a new medical center being built in Castle Rock but I don't think it will be completed until the end of '09. Centura Health purchased 50 acres near the Meadows in CR. I don't think they've broken ground yet.

It will be a 50,000 sq ft medical center w/ ER, imagining center and outpatient lab.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:57 PM

23 posts, read 59,417 times
The Pikes Peak area is great for medical careers. Memorial Health (who I'm temping for) just opened 2 new hospitals), and as others have mentioned, there are several new ones opened or planned for the I-25 corridor. You might check healthecareers.com for what's available in your specialty. The CU medical centers are always great to check as resources, because they span several different areas here in Colorado (Boulder, Denver, Colorado Springs). You might get a sense of where the demand is by checking their websites.

Boulder is a great fit for families as well as young single people (great for them I hear). Although personally, I find it a bit too artsy and weird for my tastes. But my mom lives there and loves it. She has the independent adult mentality so she finds tons of things to do, but she also has 3 stepkids and they love the area as well. The Boulder Reservoir is supposed to be great for outdoor activities without having to drive into the mountains. I wouldn't know though - I only talk to people who hike/camp/fish...I'll be @ the museums thank you LOL! It's a love/hate thing with Boulder.

If you love quick access to the foothills, Boulder and Colorado Springs are great fits. Boulder offers quicker access to the arts and entertainment of Denver, without city living. Colorado Springs offers more of a city area without being too big or urban like Denver.

If you're only 30, I would probably lean towards Boulder because you'll have more nightlife options, as well as fun, single-people type things to do. If you want to stay along I-25 to have access to more job opportunities, the Tech Center/Greenwood Village/Centennial area is popular for young adults, short commutes to a variety of areas, as well as only 45 min. from the foothills for outdoor activities. I know that Colorado Springs offers fun things to those who are either childless or with very young children. As a 35 year old with a 14 year old son, we're both bored silly here.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
For jobs, I would not pin my hopes on Boulder. I would never tell anyone not to look, but you may not find much there. There are hospitals in Louisville and Lafayette that may offer some optons and you could easily live in Boulder. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:38 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,178 times
There is also a huge new medical center in Greeley, a very nice medium sized city/town. Sounds like with your interests and job skills you should adapt quickly.

One thing about C.Spgs--I lived there, and my hiking/skiing husband did not like it because it is actually pretty far from the I-70 access to all the ski areas, and not that close for day drives to the really pretty parts of the mountains and the ski areas. So check milages to places you would want to be able to access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado