Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 02:04 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Many jobs at the City of Pueblo require you to have a cdl so they can and will do random UAs on you.
As long you aren't driving impaired I see no reason for workers to accept having their privacy violated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 07:05 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
As long you aren't driving impaired I see no reason for workers to accept having their privacy violated.
Take it up with the federal government and then the insurance companies. They lower their premiums for companies who drug test.

On the other hand it's only a matter of time until weed is treated the same as alcohol Nation wide. Might take a while but it's coming.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:14 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
You aren't a worker... off probation and with full benefits. .. until you get your cdl. You don't HAVE to work for the city. You can smoke weed.

https://youtu.be/J9pfuI8nzOw

Old 01-17-2017, 02:25 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
The street people you see is only the visible surface of the cannabis industry. They came hoping for a better place to live than the uptight, prohibition-based place they "escaped from". If they are homeless and jobless, how can they support a multi-billion dollar per year industry? They can't.

Invisible, because they are generally inside their homes, are the vast majority of cannabis users. They are for the most part hard-working, responsible adults, raising their kids, while maintaining a life and a household that is virtually indistinguishable from non-cannabis user households. Hang out at a dispensary for an hour. You will see what I mean as people of all ages, professions, and all walks of life come and go.

In other words, they are ordinary people. The biggest benefit from legalization is that these ordinary people are no longer at risk of being thrown in jail, their kids are no longer being removed from a normal, loving home and family, and their cars and houses are no longer being forfeited.

The additional tax revenue these people are providing is only gravy. The lives and families that are no longer being torn apart is the real prize of doing away with prohibition.
This is the reality. I've known people in very high positions that have smoked. I'm talking District Managers, Pharmacists, etc.

In these positions, if you make mistakes or are lazy than you're not around long.

It's a misconception that if you smoke weed you will be on the streets panhandling.

Now are there people doing that? Sure, but to make a generalized statement is ignorance at best.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I think its ridicolous how much people accept this egregious invasion of privacy. Your employer has no right to know what you enjoy in your off time.
Sorry this is your typical stoner mentality speaking.

There are things such as job safety, OSHA, etc.

I'm in the camp of legalizing Pot, because I think long-term the hype of it will die down and usage won't be very high. Employers have the right to employ who they want to employ ultimately to get the right person for the job.

Too many feel they are entitled to a job no matter what their performance. There in lies the stoner mentality. Not thinking in reality.

I smoked pot for years. I am in the top 5% of my class, am an emergency responder, etc. Any idiot that uses would confess that it impairs your ability to think and function. As a fat-soluble compound, the effect remain in the brain long after use.

I understand this more than most. People are free to smoke pot, and they are free to handle the outcomes for doing so.

A person should have every right to smoke pot in their free time as long as 1) they don't hurt other people (which is a law currently) and 2) are ok with the other outcomes for doing so which could include not working in a particular industry.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Sorry this is your typical stoner mentality speaking.

There are things such as job safety, OSHA, etc.

I'm in the camp of legalizing Pot, because I think long-term the hype of it will die down and usage won't be very high. Employers have the right to employ who they want to employ ultimately to get the right person for the job.

Too many feel they are entitled to a job no matter what their performance. There in lies the stoner mentality. Not thinking in reality.

I smoked pot for years. I am in the top 5% of my class, am an emergency responder, etc. Any idiot that uses would confess that it impairs your ability to think and function. As a fat-soluble compound, the effect remain in the brain long after use.

I understand this more than most. People are free to smoke pot, and they are free to handle the outcomes for doing so.

A person should have every right to smoke pot in their free time as long as 1) they don't hurt other people (which is a law currently) and 2) are ok with the other outcomes for doing so which could include not working in a particular industry.
My argument is corporations or businesses should have no right to know what you do in your free time. You bring up issues of safety like osha yet you aren't fighting for companies to test employees if they drank a beer the night before they go into work. Drug tests are an absurd way to screen candidates for any job. I also never said anyone should be entitled to a job just that no company should have the right to know what you do in your free time.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:04 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Sorry everyone, I neglected to inform you that the bill to legalize marijuana was narrowly defeated in Arizona, but it will be reintroduced in upcoming elections and will likely get passed.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
My argument is corporations or businesses should have no right to know what you do in your free time. You bring up issues of safety like osha yet you aren't fighting for companies to test employees if they drank a beer the night before they go into work. Drug tests are an absurd way to screen candidates for any job. I also never said anyone should be entitled to a job just that no company should have the right to know what you do in your free time.
At my current job, if anyone has an injury that requires hospitalization they are automatically tested through a urine sample. It's part of the policy which is there of course protects against any claim of discrimination. If anyone is intoxicated on the job site, it is grounds for immediate termination.

As for drinking the night before, alcohol is a water-soluble compound. The liver processes it and for most people the next day it is out of their system, except for the hangover effects.

Ultimately a company has a right to hire the employees they want to get the job done. So if they don't want people that smoke pot they can drug test.

Of course there are those that get offended at every little thing and want to make it a discrimination law, as we've seen with many states making it so a company can't discriminate against someone's "sexual preference" for example. Might as well make it discriminatory to not hire pot heads lol.

It's for my glaucoma bra

Old 01-20-2017, 09:14 AM

760 posts, read 883,277 times
^ What generally annoys people is that it acceptable to have a hangover at work, but not for MJ.

Someone could cause a major accident, but be let off the hook because they were just hungover. However someone who has MJ in their system over a 30 day period would get immediately fired.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
^ What generally annoys people is that it acceptable to have a hangover at work, but not for MJ.

Someone could cause a major accident, but be let off the hook because they were just hungover. However someone who has MJ in their system over a 30 day period would get immediately fired.
Yes exactly the hypocrisy of those supporting an invasion of privacy is unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado