Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 09:38 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,170 times

Advertisements

Hello, here in Arizona there is a furious debate over whether or not to legalize marijuana on the November ballot. I know Colorado passed similar legislation and was wondering if someone could help me understand the pros and cons from those who actually experienced this change? Lots of accusations (from both sides) and propaganda (some false, some true) is being spread. What's the bottom line? Good or bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 09:39 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Hello, here in Arizona there is a furious debate over whether or not to legalize marijuana on the November ballot. I know Colorado passed similar legislation and was wondering if someone could help me understand the pros and cons from those who actually experienced this change? Lots of accusations (from both sides) and propaganda (some false, some true) is being spread. What's the bottom line? Good or bad?
good or bad what?

Old 10-06-2016, 09:46 AM

75 posts, read 73,412 times
I live in Washington state, pros-cheap and good pot. Don't have to visit a creepy drug dealer. safe, pure weed.Less police hours spent on busting stoners. Cons-a lot of people moving here just for weed. A generation of youngsters who try and reinvent weed with genetics and concentrates. Lots of stoned people hanging out doing nothing. Fortunately I live in a area where pot shops are banned. I like it that way. Spokane is filled with pot shops and lots of pot growers. Overall I think its better to have it legal, then jailing non violent drug offenders.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:54 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,968 times
Not a huge advocate for pot, but here are my insights.

Pros
* Lots of revenue generated from pot sales tax and it's being reinvested in schools

* Easy access to a recreational drug (not much different than alcoholic beverages IMO)

Cons
* Young pot heads everywhere moving here, driving up costs. I know of some trust fund kids having their parents move them here, pay for their rents, financing their lifestyle, etc.

* It can be difficult to fit in if you aren't a pot smoker or ski bum, particularly if you're under 30 and single

Old 10-06-2016, 10:02 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,782 times
Some people starting driving really slow ....

Old 10-06-2016, 10:08 AM

760 posts, read 882,699 times
Yeah it kind of sucks.

- Extremely low unemployment
- Strong economy bringing in hundreds of thousands of very educated wealthy people
- Increased tourism generating tons of profit (70 million visitors a year)
- About 40% home value appreciation
- When you drive out of state, you fear getting pulled over multiple times with dogs
- People are giving their cash to state taxes instead of drug dealers

It's really how you look at it. If you don't want your state to change over night, it's a bad thing.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:23 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Day to day, it hasn't affect my life a single iota.

There have been a few more stoners around, but imagine that will dissipate as more states legalize. California will legalize this election cycle so this is going to become much less of a unique draw.

Less money being spent on trying and incarcerating non violent people is better in my opinion.

The biggest test is whether or not we would do it again.

A recent poll I saw suggested we absolutely would.

Poll shows little regret in Colorado over legalizing marijuana – The Denver Post

Old 10-06-2016, 10:45 AM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Like, wow, what was the question again?

Some people are against it -- http://www.rmhidta.org (I cannot imagine why)

Old 10-06-2016, 11:07 AM

17,997 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Here's a recent article of pro-pot people defending Amendment 64...

Cannabis advocates have their say; anti-pot group refuses

Here, you get a snapshot of the divide amongst the community. Perhaps some colorful comments to follow. There has been many twists and turns from the situation that most would not imagine nor predict.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:35 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,309,123 times
The biggest advantage to legalizing pot is that it keeps young people from getting a serious criminal record for just getting caught with weed. Putting people like that in jail makes no sense.

It also frees the cops to focus on catching real crooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado