Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 12:13 AM

5 posts, read 4,423 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I could use some advice. I might be moving to colorado in January for an internship. Right now I have an offer for one in colorado springs. I have a buddy who told me colorado springs is very conservative and his least favorite city out there. Iam 31 and from ohio. Is it not a fun city to live in? What areally towns by it I should look at it should I move closer to Denver and have an hour commute. Iam looking for fun places to live. Somewhere good for a single 30 year old. Iam open to moving to mountain town also if it's a cool place. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 03:37 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Please define "fun place to live" ....

Is it close access to outdoor recreation?

Lots of Bars? an active "singles scene"?

Access to entertainment, sports events, restaurants?

What makes a "mountain town" a "cool place" for you? someplace with a lot of tourist type attractions ... rafting, fishing, hiking, climbing, or ? Or is it remoteness and isolation in a picturesque setting?

In all candor ... if I had to work in CSprings, I'd want to live relatively close to my work location to minimize the daily commute. An hour drive on the I-25 corridor in nice weather can turn into an entirely different scenario for many months of the year due to altitude, slick road conditions, and traffic density of the last few years.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:12 AM

5 posts, read 4,423 times
Thanks for the reply. Pretty much somewhere where there are people roughly the same age and a good place for a single guy. Bars and outdoor activities would be nice and somewhere good for a dog. For the small town somewhere with those same qualities as mentioned before but I guess a smaller version lol. Thanks

Old 10-09-2016, 07:35 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
If you have never lived in Colorado don't let your buddy make your decision as to where you should live. Come out and visit and see for yourself. I always recommend living as close to work as possible since you will be spending the majority of your time going to and from there, less commuting = more time to enjoy life. Colorado Springs does have some pretty easy access to mountain activities, it can be conservative compared to Boulder but compared to Ohio I'm not sure.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:44 AM

1,950 posts, read 2,298,854 times
I went to a bar in Manitou springs right close to Colorado Springs and we had Blue Margaritas and then we stayed up past midnight ....

Old 10-09-2016, 12:12 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Colorado Springs is very conservative in national elections, local government funding and at many churches and church events. But day to day you might not feel it that much if you don't want that. CS isn't Denver but it has plenty of spots to eat, drink, play pool, golf, hear local music, etc. CS has plenty of parks and wild land nearby.

If you want to go to Denver a lot, live in Monument. If you really want to run into Denver several nights a week during the work week, you could consider. Living in Denver and working in CS would be a stretch with worst case on rent and commuting. Probably more than a hour with traffic slowdowns but depends on exact endpoints.

If you want a small mountain feel, live in Manitou Springs. If you want to live in CS near young people live close to the university campus or downtown.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-09-2016 at 12:24 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 02:20 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
meant to say in above...

you could consider "Castle Rock"...

somehow that got dropped.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:40 PM

235 posts, read 355,550 times
West side & downtown Colorado Springs is much better than anywhere E, N or S of that. I agree with DogMama50. Cone out SN see for yourself.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:10 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
If your internship is in Colorado springs, I certainly wouldn't consider living in Denver, or even Monument. The drive into town will get tiresome and if you decide to have a night on the town, the drive home will be a chore. Coming from Ohio, you may be shocked by the lack of population density outside of main metros. We are not set up where you can drive 20 minutes to the neighboring town of 50,000 and have something to do. Most activities will be centered around the major population centers.

Yes, Cos has a conservative reputation because of the religious organizations headquartered here, but daily life is as normal as any other place you may live. We are less conservative than Denver is liberal.

21-30 age demographic is one of our larger age brackets. We have a wide assortment of bars, cafes, and restaraunts. Outdoor activities abound with close access to Pike National Forest. Want gambling, its up the mountain in Cripple Creek. Fishing is any number of reservoirs, motorcycles are just head east of town, auto racing is down the road in Pueblo or east to Calhan. We have one of the fastest growing universities in the state at UCCS.

You may want to look at places more central, near west side, or towards the southwest. I'd certainly recommend a visit here before writing it off on your friends opinion.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,156 times
Default Let's Enjoy in colorado

Colorado Springs does have some pretty easy access to mountain activities, it can be conservative compared to Boulder but compared to Ohio I'm not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado