Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 11:58 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,422,753 times

Advertisements

In regards to scenery, I'd like to get opinions on taking the durango and silverton train vs taking a car ride on RT 550 from durango to maybe silverton. Perhaps we'll go up just a ways and turn around, not sure yet. I'm strictly interested how the scenery compares to both...... will I basically get the same type scenery via a car on 550 vs on the train? Is one route better/much better than the other in regards to scenery? If all things are about equal in regards to the scenery, I'd prefer a car as one can stop off at various points which is nice. And we can make our own schedule.

We might be looking to go in mid April which I'm guessing is possible we could hit some snow and if there's a snowstorm/a recent one, we won't go of course. Is 550 taken care of/plowed well in mid April if there's a little snow on it? We don't have a 4WD vehicle, just chains, but if a storm is around or a recent storm, we won't go for course.

Any opinions/insight on this matter would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 12:22 AM

8,397 posts, read 8,613,689 times
550 is plowed as often as necessary to remove snowfall or avalanche.

Long way to April but extended forecast for late April is showing good chance of snow or ice or rain or combination on about 5 of the 15 days or nights. Temps generally in 50s / 60s during day but might be colder for day here and there or an hour here or there. Forecast could change for better or worse.

Scenery is good from road or train. Road has some dramatic viewspots and plenty of pleasant. Train ride is slower, wilder in second half and overall more connected / intimate. By road, the eye may tend to focus on the distant views (though you can try to enjoy small details too). The driver will probably enjoy the drive but will need to focus a lot on the twisting road with some steep grades and few guardrails.

If you only come once, the train might be worth it. If weather is sketchy or interest is fairly light, the drive will still be good and you'll have more control. Including ability to get out, hang out, picnic, walk a bit by a stream, a small lake, open meadows, forest or even nearby ridgeline.

Could do one and then maybe the other if you decide you want more.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-26-2017 at 12:36 AM..

Old 02-26-2017, 01:00 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,891,196 times
They tend to do a good job of keeping 550 clear, but sometimes the snow just gets the best of the snowplows. Years ago I followed a snowplow on 550 from Silverton to Ouray in the middle of a raging blizzard. Man was I ever grateful to have him up there ahead of me, making the road safer for the rest of us. When I returned to Durango a day later, I heard the terrible news that the same snowplow driver had been hit by an avalanche on his return trip that previous night. Such a tragedy! He was killed, sad to say.

Since you don't have much experience driving in snow, and because we can still get plenty of snow AND avalanches in April, I'd suggest the train. The scenary is just as pretty and you won't be gazing around in a state of white knuckled fear. Enjoy the train ride - it's a blast!

Old 02-26-2017, 07:33 AM

7,128 posts, read 9,201,050 times
Take the train if you want to enjoy the scenery. It is a beautiful ride. Just watch out for the coal dust.

Similarly, here in Colorado Springs, people can either drive to the top of Pikes Peak or take the cog rail from Manitou to the top. Driving is stressful and you really cannot enjoy the scenery because you need to keep your eyes on the road.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:49 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,451,999 times
If scenery is the goal, take the train. I've kayaked the Animas River through the canyon a number of times. It's one of my favorite places in the state. The views are tough to beat.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:31 AM

7,128 posts, read 9,201,050 times
Animas River Jump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck6vqsOt-Pc

Old 02-26-2017, 10:43 AM

26,124 posts, read 48,742,730 times
IMO take the train, it's the granddaddy of train trips in many ways. We did it 20 years ago and it's like no other tourist train. We rode in the fancy car at the end of the train where I stood out on the platform as we chugged up the Animas River to Silverton. Along the way we saw scenery you can only see by train and it was like being transported back in time a hundred years.

The drive up Rte 550 is excellent too but for my money I'd take the train for the scenery as the train travels slow enough that you can see it all without having to watch the twists, turns and drop offs along the highway.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-26-2017 at 12:38 PM..

Old 02-26-2017, 12:14 PM

18,630 posts, read 33,198,289 times
I am still waiting to take the train trip.I was scheduled to do it on a recent visit and overslept. I've made the drive several times (summer only!) and as gorgeous as it is, I concur that you have to drive and cannot stare at the scenery as you'd like.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:02 PM

7,470 posts, read 13,472,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
In regards to scenery, I'd like to get opinions on taking the durango and silverton train vs taking a car ride on RT 550 from durango to maybe silverton. Perhaps we'll go up just a ways and turn around, not sure yet. I'm strictly interested how the scenery compares to both...... will I basically get the same type scenery via a car on 550 vs on the train? Is one route better/much better than the other in regards to scenery? If all things are about equal in regards to the scenery, I'd prefer a car as one can stop off at various points which is nice. And we can make our own schedule.

We might be looking to go in mid April which I'm guessing is possible we could hit some snow and if there's a snowstorm/a recent one, we won't go of course. Is 550 taken care of/plowed well in mid April if there's a little snow on it? We don't have a 4WD vehicle, just chains, but if a storm is around or a recent storm, we won't go for course.

Any opinions/insight on this matter would be appreciated, thanks!
Are you aware the train does not go all the way to Silverton in April ? It only goes about half-way until May 5

See Trains to Cascade Canyon | Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train

If looking for a train with gorgeous and varying scenery, consider the Cumbres & Toltec, which opens May 27

Home - Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad

IMHO, the D&S can get a bit boring, especially on the return.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:42 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,422,753 times
Thanks everyone for the replies, appreciate it! Good points. And reps all around. A few comments:

colorado rambler, I have decent experience of driving in snow and even blizzards. Had a fun one the other year up in the Sierra Nevada's/around Lake Tahoe that required chains/snails pace. Would just rather avoid any type of active snow driving on 550.

reed303, thanks for the heads up on the sched but yes, was aware the train only goes part way up, about 2 hours vs the 3+ hours each way certain times of the year. Actually a few hours each way is plenty for me/us so that actually is preferable, the shorter trip. Plus to avoid the summer crowds is always good. And thanks for the Cumbres & Toltec info. I remember reading about that some years ago, looks like a sweet ride too.

I think what we will do is take both routes at different times to experience them both on separate trips, the train one time and 550 via car another. I love driving and have a convertible for trips like this (with a heater cranked up for us low desert warm weather types if we head up there in April). We'll keep an eye on the weather to make sure we are clear of snow/recent storms if we decide on 550 not the train in mid/late April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado