Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2006, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 7,073 times

Advertisements

Greetings all!

I have been pretty pleased with the information everyone on here has provided for others so I figured I'd give it a shot too.

I am 25, living in State College PA, home of Penn State University. I have lived here for 3 years since my Penn State graduation 7 years total) working for a great small company. I like it here, but it's missing a few things that I consider important and I think I can find them in Colorado.

What's good about State College that I would like to maintain: It's a liberal, progressive area with hardly any crime. (Our police reports are mostly drunk driving and public urination, which is gross but better than homicides.) Within 15 minutes I can both be downtown in a bar, hiking up a ridge, skiing at our local TINY ski mountain or paddling my whitewater kayak in a small river.

What's bad: The social scene is unique here because most people in this town are 30+ married professor's families OR college kids who just want to party it up all the time. (I respect both but that's just not where I am at.)

When I move, it'd be nice to be able to be close to ski resorts (I work part time as a ski instructor here) but also work within my software/electrical engineering degree. I am considering going back for a masters part time too, so a close university would be nice. I enjoy biking, whitewater kayaking, skiing, snowboarding, watching football (go Broncos!) and cozying in at small microbreweries for good conversation and brews.

Boulder seems nice, despite the little odd things you hear about it being snobby, but I do worry that the social scene is more geared to families and drunk college kids, and not for single 20-somethings. Plus that cost of living seems pretty crazy (renting is fine for me, I don't want to buy yet, nor could I there.) Fort Collins looks good too, but I'd be further from a university and I worry about the social scene there... looks like mostly families. Althought I don't need a metropolitan lifestyle, that's where people my age often are. Colorado Springs is good for classes but it's more of a family city I gather.
I'm just starting to look at Grand Junction but thats so far from Denver or anything else it worries me a little. Maybe that's unjustified. Denver seems to have tons of jobs, which is great, but I'm not a city person. I'd like to have a tree or 20 in my yard.

I plan to take a week and come out there in early 2007 and look around all the areas I am interested in, but I want some feedback before I go plan that trip.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas for me? I appreciate all comments good or bad!

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 08:01 PM

3 posts, read 10,821 times
Default Also Interested

I am also looking ro relocate to Colorado and am kind of into the same desires you are "20 something"! I am 28 and female, so I am interested in what responses follow.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:56 AM

673 posts, read 4,068,684 times
I recommend Denver or Fort Collins, they are very nice cities. Denver is extremely clean, doesnt have run-down areas like other cities and has alot of great entertaining, dining and a very very vibrant downtown. The 16th street pedestrian mall, LoDo and 17th street in North Captiol hill are always full of energy from 6am to 2am. Denverites are very, very outdoorsy. Denver has also spent alot of resources on infrastructure over the last decade and you can tell. Anyscene you want you can find in the Denver metropolitan area.

I would recommend Englewood if you like a pleasent, suburban feel with only 15-20 minute light-rail ride to Downtown. Anything along Hampden from the rail station to downing is great and its one of the most affordable areas in metro Denver.
Englewood seems to have a quiet-laid back environment.

I also think Capitol Hill just west of the capitol is best if you like a more urban scene. The area between Sherman and Ogden are rebounding but still have some areas that have problems occasionally. I would recommend Cap. Hill east of Ogden Street as they tend to have very few problems in that area

If you like being close to Mountains, youd like Golden

All and all, Colorado is a nice state. Denver and Fort Collins I would say offer the best cost of living, most amenities and most job oppurtunities. Colorado Springs is great for people who like a quiet city thats not entertaining (except for recreation) or fun but very clean. Although Colorado Springs has a farily nice downtown, they have really improved it alot over the last 5 years.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:24 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Default Agree

You're getting some good advice from the posters here and I second all their advice.

First, I think you should give Boulder a look. Your impression of there not being a 20something scene is not correct. It's true that the Hill area around campus is your typical 18-22 year old undergraduate party but the rest of Boulder has a very lively scene for younger people who have no connection to CU. There are plenty of families in Boulder but I think your impression of the town as having lots of families (i.e., sleepy) is wrong. The more "family" oriented areas are now mostly the satellite towns of Boulder rather than anywhere within the city itself.

Fort Collins is also a great town, but in your case I'd recommend staying away from the southern part of town (south of Drake Road), unless you want to be close to a job you may have. That part of town is mostly new subdivisions and more families than singles or young people. Anywhere near campus or Old Town you'll meet lots of people in your situation. Fort Collins is not quite as ecclectic or as progressive as Boulder (yet) but it is cheaper and far less pretentious. I should mention that it's a bit out of the way if you want to go to ski resorts since you'll have to drive down to I-70, although if you're into backcountry there's plenty in its backyard.

Golden is home of the School of Mines and so feels a bit like a college town, although the school of mines is much smaller than CU or CSU. Being undeniably part of the metro area it's becoming more suburbanized and McMansionized than it has been in the past. It is right on the way to the mountains and has a great setting, however. You should check it out.

Denver is a big city and it sounds like you're looking for more of a college town environment. However, if you're open to living in the city, I think you'll find Denver has a lot of great neighborhoods and has a lot to offer. Check out some of the other threads for more info on Denver.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-05-2007, 02:21 PM

10 posts, read 36,154 times
I am in the same boat and am interested in the responses you receive!! I am from WI "20-something" and single. I will be done student teaching in May and plan on taking the next step closer to my dream (colorado) I am not sure where.. but I would like a younger town, but like you want to stay out of the college life. I have heard good things about Fort Collins and Denver..
Any advice you get pass it my way! good luck

Old 01-05-2007, 02:28 PM

4 posts, read 14,673 times
Default colorado

Check into Castle Rock. It is between Denver and Colorado Springs. It is close to many skiing areas.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:00 PM

10 posts, read 52,561 times
I really can't say enough about Fort Collins. The mix of people here is amazing!! The old, young and everything in between. [moderator cut]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-05-2007 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: No realtor advertising or trolling for clients.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:38 PM

83 posts, read 953,847 times
What about the best cities for new teachers?, any suggestions? I am a first year teacher from Michigan and am looking into Colorado!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado