Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2017, 03:01 PM

7 posts, read 7,261 times

Advertisements

I'm a 21 year old currently living in Florida. I've wanted to move out west and pursue a career with some sort of video production through the internet for awhile now. I have a unique sort of humor I'd like to get out into the world. After some years, I've finally decided to take the leap and follow my dream. I'm stuck between Colorado and Nevada but more in favor of CO.

What might you guys recommend as a good location to pursue this in Colorado? Here are some details of what I'm kind of aiming for.
-Will probably find a film school nearby to attend for a bit, don't think it'll be too hard to find those. I'm not seeking some pristine film school just for making amateur you tube videos. I'd be paying someone to film me anyways for any "social experiments" as they call it now. The knowledge will definitely come in handy if I ever want to produce quality skits though.
-Perhaps some editing classes, most likely offered at any film school I attend.
-Not looking for quiet place, I think higher social activity is better for the likes of youtube.
-Hopefully it won't be too difficult finding some creative minds where I move

I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for location wise to benefit my internet career.
I'd probably look for a job as a doorman at a nice hotel or any other occupation that requires some personality and gives decent time off (would rather be working 12 hour shifts with days off than 9-5's).

I guess my goal here is to get some suggestions from you guys if you have some experience living in Colorado. I'll round up a little trip so I can go visit some of the places suggested and make my final decision on where I'm headed from there. Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 04:32 PM

6,830 posts, read 10,554,472 times
I don't think we have many film schools here - maybe just one in Denver or Aurora.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:54 PM

1,330 posts, read 701,651 times
Agreed. You're better off in NYC, LA or SFO if you want to study film

Old 04-09-2017, 05:19 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,410,320 times
Actually, we do have a dedicated film school as well as some formal degree programs in some of the bigger colleges. However, just dropping in and takinga few classes at these institutions may not be as simple as singing up. Colorado Film Schoool; Home We used to even have a state sanctioned film department that worked on getting productions set up out here, but it is long gone.

However, being a student, getting started in your art, and working minimum wage service may not be the best combination of ways to make a start in Colorado, especially Denver where rents are constantly increasing.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:26 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,090,706 times
The Community College of Aurora has a (surprisingly) well regarded film school that focuses on technical stuff rather than film theory. Because it is a community college it should be decently affordable.

If I were you though I would move somewhere with a low cost of living so that you can survive on a part time job while trying to build your channel. There is now way you can afford to live in CO without a good amount of reliable income. Luckily your dream can be chased from anywhere and ypu don't need to move to NYC or LA. Take advantage of that fact.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:23 PM

8,511 posts, read 8,855,902 times
For basics to facilitate a YouTube comedy career and a doorman with active personality in use job, I'd go to Vegas. If you get thru training and paying for the training that way, move to Colorado or anywhere you want to live.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:30 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,955,291 times
Colorado is a lovely place, but I don't see any reason it would be better for you.

Check out Atlanta. They have the 3rd biggest film industry outside LA and NYC, plus rent is cheap. You should be able to find an entry level job and work your way up, and find a friend to do the filming of your skits. There are a number of film schools there if you felt that classes were more valuable than on the job training.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:08 PM

7 posts, read 7,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
For basics to facilitate a YouTube comedy career and a doorman with active personality in use job, I'd go to Vegas. If you get thru training and paying for the training that way, move to Colorado or anywhere you want to live.
Thank you all for the great input. I agree. I actually made another thread on the Nevada forum just after this one because Vegas sits at the top of my list. That's probably where I will end up due to lower cost of living in the suburbs and no state tax. NYC or LA wouldn't definitely be ideal but with a hell of a budget! I'll do a bit more research on Vegas and see what I get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado