U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 07:11 AM

3 posts, read 1,666 times

Advertisements

We are moving to CO next year and want some opinions! We are currently in Minnesota, near the St. Croix River Valley. After being here for 21 years we are now retiring early and want to find a place in CO that has some great fishing for my husband. I am a cancer survivor still in treatment, so I need to be within 1/2 hour of a major city. We are not political, but not interested in an ultra conservative area either. Any suggestions for us? Not concerned about cost of living for right now, just trying to find somewhere that offers those two things first, then work on finding something affordable. Can't wait to say goodbye to the cold MN winter, but will miss the green grass for sure. Thanks in Advance!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 08:24 AM

11,380 posts, read 9,388,557 times
Within a half hour of a major city and close to great fishing....

Maybe southwest Denver burbs. Good fishing on the Platte River out 285 near Deckers/Bailey if he is a fly fisherman.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:58 AM

5,369 posts, read 11,075,257 times
Maya Lucille, congrats on being a cancer survivor.

You mentioned that you are still in treatment. Do you know where your on-going treatment will be? There are many various facilities scattered around the Denver metro area, so being within a half hour of your treatment would certainly narrow down your choices. It could take you an hour to drive across town.

There are some reservoirs around the Denver area where your husband can fish, but he may have to do some driving to get to the good spots.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:57 PM

3,476 posts, read 8,172,871 times
We do have the Shaw Regional Cancer Center in Edwards, and some great fly fishing on the Eagle and Roaring Fork. I only suggest the area since you said cost of living is not a factor.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:34 PM

6,088 posts, read 5,994,498 times
For fishing recommendations it may help to know what fish he prefers to catch and how. If you need to be within 1/2 hour of big city, he may end up needing to be willing to drive 1/2 hour to 1 1/2 hours for some options or take what the local option offers.

Some of the mountain reservoirs have pike, if he wants that.

As for place recommendations, you might look at Longmont, Loveland, Johnstown, Littleton / Columbine Valley, maybe Woodland Park.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-29-2017 at 05:43 PM..

Old 04-29-2017, 07:30 PM

3,819 posts, read 3,289,367 times
The proximity of great fishing in multiple bodies of water close to metro areas just doesn't exist in CO like it does in MN, the land of 10,000 lakes.

Type of fishing is also factor. Warmer water fish will require a drive east of Denver. Colder water fish can be found along the front range and up into the mountains. Does he want to sit in a boat all day or hike up a canyon cut with white water or do some long casting from the shore, or float around in a belly boat? We've got a lot of variety of fishing, but the variety isn't necessarily close.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:30 PM

11,451 posts, read 48,486,056 times
I'd look at the West side of the Fort Collins area, perhaps up into the foothills areas there.

Good hospital complexes there for your medical treatment.

Excellent access to Horsetooth Res, and up the canyon for stream fishing in some top rated waters for fly fishing. The Grand Lake area or Red Feather Lakes areas close by, too.

Or the Vail Valley area, perhaps even in Vail. As Dogmama50 observes, medical facilities near in Edwards. Mountain stream fishing in gold medal streams, Dillon Res 45 mins away to the East over Vail Pass. Other sizable (by Colorado standards) mountain res's not too far away.

Or head up to Aspen, with the medical facilities there ... and many mountain streams to fish. Reudi Res nearby.

Do keep in mind that living in the mountains brings longer and colder winters.

Of course, living in/near the premier ski resort areas of Colorado do have their price ... but if cost of living isn't a factor, then these places can be very attractive for your priorities with "great fishing" as your first.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:39 AM

3 posts, read 1,666 times
WOW...a huge Thank You! Such great suggestions! Dreaming of Hawaii...I am in a clinical trial so probably the University of Colorado is where I will get treatment, in Denver. I have not found that out yet, but currently in a clinical trial at the University of MN in MPLS. As for the fishing part...he is realizing that he will be sacrificing the "land of 10,000" fishing holes! Of course, he fishes for large and small mouth bass, walleye and musky up here, but those are northern lake fish. As long as he can get to a body of water within 1/2 hour to 45 minutes and catch a few swimmers with gills, he'll be happy. Not much of a fly fisherman but is going to be adapting!!

Fort Collins sounds nice, and so I really appreciate all your suggestions. Looking forward to relocating!

Old 04-30-2017, 08:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,438 posts, read 47,444,336 times
UCH https://www.uchealth.org/locations/u...of-the-rockies

(Loveland 80538 zip) Boyd Lake is about 5 min away and has decent fishing and homes on the lake (Saves time trailering).

Plenty of small lakes within 30 min. Mtn Streams will take 30 - 40 min

Poudre, Big Thompson, Glen Haven, Buckhorn, and Red Feather Areas are some favorites of the locals.

Recent flood have caused problems, but fisheries are proactive in restoring habitat.

Rist Canyon is a fine area (Live HIGH above the river) and close to Poudre.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:22 AM

5,369 posts, read 11,075,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Lucille View Post
WOW...a huge Thank You! Such great suggestions! Dreaming of Hawaii...I am in a clinical trial so probably the University of Colorado is where I will get treatment, in Denver. I have not found that out yet, but currently in a clinical trial at the University of MN in MPLS. As for the fishing part...he is realizing that he will be sacrificing the "land of 10,000" fishing holes! Of course, he fishes for large and small mouth bass, walleye and musky up here, but those are northern lake fish. As long as he can get to a body of water within 1/2 hour to 45 minutes and catch a few swimmers with gills, he'll be happy. Not much of a fly fisherman but is going to be adapting!!

Fort Collins sounds nice, and so I really appreciate all your suggestions. Looking forward to relocating!
It sounds like your clinical trial will be at the CU hospital in Denver, and not at one of the scattered CU locations. Actually, I'm pretty sure it will be at the Anschutz Center, which is in Aurora on the east side of the City of Denver. I assume that you'd like to be living within 30 minutes of the hospital.

So all you people who know fishing, where does this put her husband for fishing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado