U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 08:02 PM

7 posts, read 3,785 times

Advertisements

OhHey everyone I have wanted to move to colorado since I was a kid. I have family in Milliken. I currently reside in California and have traveled to almost all the states. Colorado is the place I want to be and the place I want to raise my kids. Well I have been working in submersible pumps for 3 years and turbine pumps for 4 years. So I guess my question is, where would be the best place to start a pump company. What area in colorado has the highest population outside of city water.

P.S. please do not start the stay in California stuff. I'm not the liberal hippy treehugging pot head. I work my butt off not sit on it. thanks in advance.

Last edited by BradLaFlamme; 05-08-2017 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 08:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,406 posts, read 47,421,792 times
Milliken is actually a pretty good choice with many small towns and >10,000 water wells within a 1 hr drive.

Check out the existing competition and do some informational interviews with them and their clients. Hopefully you will find a 'gap' that you can fill. You should be able to get a resource from the State that will show all the 'registered' wells and their logs.

Also consider North of Greeley (Ault area) Farms / properties get more spread out, but there are still a lot of water wells in NE CO.

You can consider engaging the free services of SCORE and SBDC who can get you reports of your customers and what they currently spend on well service, as well as the gross revenues of your competition.

Good luck. ask a lot of questions of the state officials / resources / regulation. and what you can legally do. (including electrical and plumbing)

Old 05-08-2017, 09:17 PM

11,451 posts, read 48,471,025 times
Having called upon the pump companies as a mfg's rep in the area for over 30 years ... I'd say that the marketplace has a lot of competition there already with a wide range of service co's and dealers, large and small.

Bear in mind that there's been a long history and demand here for industrial, residential, commercial, and agricultural wells and pumps for many decades. So there's a lot of companies established here.

What do you think you'd be bringing to the marketplace here that isn't already here?

IMO, you might want to start by investigating job openings with the established companies and work with them for awhile first so you can get a handle on the needs ... and/or gaps ... in the current service industry. You'll find these companies scattered in Denver, Greeley, and the northern tier of the Front Range through to Sterling.

FWIW, many of the ag wells in the northern areas of Colorado ... such as Greeley ... got caught up in the shut down of wells in the area over permitting issues in the last 20 years. We looked at a sizable number of irrigated farms in the area and they were either already shut down or slated to be shut down. Others were taking advantage of some handsome offers for their water rights to cities (such as Greeley) that were anticipating future water shortages to meet municipal growth demands. There was far more money to be made in drying up a farm than remotely possible in crop production net revenue, especially if the dryland could be sold to a developer, too.

I've flown over all of these counties and you can easily spot the now-dryland crop circles where the wells were shut off. It's most of them in this area due to the well permits that were commonly obtained, only more recently to be found junior in water rights to the point of being shut off.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:19 PM

Thank you I will definitely do that. I was planning on contacting the state for the well record's. I'v been checking on my possible competition. But I'm torn between front range or western slopes. I like eastern a lot but I feel western will provide more jobs for me

Old 05-08-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLaFlamme View Post
Thank you I will definitely do that. I was planning on contacting the state for the well record's. I'v been checking on my possible competition. But I'm torn between front range or western slopes. I like eastern a lot but I feel western will provide more jobs for me
my territory as a mfg's rep with industrial repair/rebuilding/protective epoxy materials for pumps was north of I-70 in Colorado (and included Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, and New Mexico).

I called upon a lot of well/pump service companies. Suffice to say that the biz is in a very mature phase here.

My impression of some of the outfits, however, was that "good help is hard to find" ... so if you have the tech knowledge/experience, motivation, and ability to perform without excuses ... there may be decent job openings in the area for you.

Good luck with your relocation.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:30 PM

I have no doubt there are many well rooted pump companies in the state and whereever I decide to start my company. It will be hard maybe nearly impossible. Yes I have considered moving and starting off at an existing company. But i feel might as well try first. If I were to try a company in say around rifle, denver, or grand junction. What companies have you had experience with in those areas?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLaFlamme View Post
I have no doubt there are many well rooted pump companies in the state and whereever I decide to start my company. It will be hard maybe nearly impossible. Yes I have considered moving and starting off at an existing company. But i feel might as well try first. If I were to try a company in say around rifle, denver, or grand junction. What companies have you had experience with in those areas?
would prefer to PM you when it comes to pump companies that I've done biz with.

Am still looking for your thoughts re what you think you'd be bringing to the biz here ... marketing savvy? superior tech skills? connections to manufacturers/parts for less?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:37 PM

Sorry I replied before I saw your second post noting your specific area. That said, I feel the wages for a pump man as an employee just are not enough for what I need. But maybe that's just the crazy high cost of living here. Anyways thats another conversation. Either way its all realy good advice thank you all.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:54 AM

In fine with the pm. As for what I will bring to the table I started my father's company with him when I was a highschooler he owns a construction company. Well I focused more on the business part of it helping him advertise and market the company i do not have college experience with it but I do have 5 years of on the job bidding and marketing. My best friend of 15 years his family has been doing pumps and drilling for 3 generations with combined years of 130 years between them all. So if there is something I can't figure out I have the contacts that can. They also are good friends and business clients with the owners if flowwy and national pumps over in Fresno

Old 05-09-2017, 10:08 AM

242 posts, read 350,845 times
As always...it's best to start here. It appears there are many different licenses required and that there are set duties and limits one can perform (or not perform) according to licensing stature/etc.

Licensed Contractors

Unlike California, Colorado has strict rules on wells and underground water usage. Good luck wading through it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado